Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 10:22 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,096,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
you DO have a choice when it comes to jobs. you just choose a higher salary instead of being closer to family. I cant imagine leaving in their late 70s.....totally crazy....to move far away and not see them all for $$$$...its sad. and not all areas of NJ have high property taxes. i swear, people love to exaggerate. And that article on people leaving NJ has been debunked multiple times. It was some nonsense survey that was done

too much obsession over money here. i have heard too many stories of retired people that moved away and then got bored and depressed because they left their families. and were alone.
I agree, moving away from someone's family and friends and established life style in someone's retirement years seems absolutely insane to me. This is the time when family support is even more crucial both for older generation that might need assistance and for younger generation that might be raising kids. There are a lot of stories about the depressed, sickly seniors stuck somewhere in cheap Nowhereville, Mississippi, population 10.5 and unable to leave their house because they no longer can drive.

Now, I am not at all saying that old people have to continue living where they can't afford to. But NJ has cheaper areas in South/Central NJ or even somewhere in Rockland country of NYS. And honestly, if a family lives within their means on a middle class family they should have their house(or other type of residence) paid for with no mortgage outstanding. So even in expensive NJ, they should be able to afford something decent...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 02:04 PM

10,512 posts, read 7,037,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I agree, moving away from someone's family and friends and established life style in someone's retirement years seems absolutely insane to me. This is the time when family support is even more crucial both for older generation that might need assistance and for younger generation that might be raising kids. There are a lot of stories about the depressed, sickly seniors stuck somewhere in cheap Nowhereville, Mississippi, population 10.5 and unable to leave their house because they no longer can drive.

Now, I am not at all saying that old people have to continue living where they can't afford to. But NJ has cheaper areas in South/Central NJ or even somewhere in Rockland country of NYS. And honestly, if a family lives within their means on a middle class family they should have their house(or other type of residence) paid for with no mortgage outstanding. So even in expensive NJ, they should be able to afford something decent...
New Jersey is a depressing place to live from the months of November thru May. It boggles my mind why anyone would want to live here who is not tied down to a job (and that's why we don't have many retirees here), if you do not have a job holding you back why not enjoy a place with year round beautiful weather? Also, now a days a lot of retirees through their 70s into early 80s who stay active (hence living in a nice area) are usually healthier and stay mobile.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:55 PM

7,371 posts, read 4,156,699 times
Quote:
you DO have a choice when it comes to jobs. you just choose a higher salary instead of being closer to family. I cant imagine leaving in their late 70s.....totally crazy....to move far away and not see them all for $$$$...its sad. and not all areas of NJ have high property taxes. i swear, people love to exaggerate. And that article on people leaving NJ has been debunked multiple times. It was some nonsense survey that was done

too much obsession over money here. i have heard too many stories of retired people that moved away and then got bored and depressed because they left their families. and were alone.
Actually, my husband was in print journalism which went away in the 90's. Thankfully, he successfully switch careers. In his new line of work, there are a couple of employers in Boston and NYC. There is one employer in each city - Chicago, Austin and California. So not a lot of choices.

I'm leaving Westchester, NY due to my property taxes. When my retirement income decreases, I would be foolish not to leave. I am going to pay taxes on my IRA then pay over $15,000 in property taxes? It isn't an obsession over money, just facing facts.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:04 PM

7,371 posts, read 4,156,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Even with no mortgage, $15,000 or more on property taxes is still a burden. Especially since most middle class couple sell their expensive NJ homes to buy a cheaper home FL. They use the home profits as cash for emergencies.

Yeah, but if your children live in northern NJ - say Morristown, Paramus or even Montclair - then moving to south to Cape May (for example) is still a trip. It is still a two or three hour car ride. How often are their children going to visit? It might be easier for their children to fly down to Florida.

In south Jersey, there still is snow. They shouldn't be shoveling or walking on icy driveways. Warmer climates means less falls and broken hips. My father-in-law played golfed all winter in Florida. In NY, he was trapped in the house. Which would you chose?

Old 08-19-2019, 03:38 PM

30,657 posts, read 18,276,650 times
I mean, I really can't blame them for not wanting to step foot back in Dirty Jersey

Old 08-19-2019, 07:21 PM

32,954 posts, read 36,419,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
New Jersey is a depressing place to live from the months of November thru May. It boggles my mind why anyone would want to live here who is not tied down to a job (and that's why we don't have many retirees here), if you do not have a job holding you back why not enjoy a place with year round beautiful weather? Also, now a days a lot of retirees through their 70s into early 80s who stay active (hence living in a nice area) are usually healthier and stay mobile.
Where is this Camelot with beautiful year-round weather? I haven't found it.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:25 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,019,659 times
Quote:

What happens in 50 years when your parents and grandparents are dead, family grows apart (naturally happens, you have 3rd/4th cousins for a reason) and your children move to chase career opportunities, despite you wanting them to stay? Unless you come from money and expecting an inheritance, no one will be paying your bills.

I get it, I love my family deeply and it’s the ONLY reason we’re still here. However, my wife and I know we’ll be better off in our retirement years if we move somewhere cheap with a cost of living. All the money drained into property taxes and every other tax this nincompoop of a governor continues to create can be put to work to our advantage someplace else.

As for the OP, have you considered sending for your parents to visit you? Or perhaps having the kids spend summers in SD? You can’t be upset at them for doing what was best for them in their retirement years. It’s no secret that NJ is a pretty ****ty place to retire in. However I am confused about their choice to move to SD, which gets more snow than here. I definitely don’t want to shovel or drive in snow when I’m old!

Last edited by Busch Boy; 08-19-2019 at 11:35 PM..

Old 08-20-2019, 04:18 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,687,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
All I can say without getting a time out is that you're incorrect on your entire post.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:30 AM

595 posts, read 1,560,328 times
there is a senior freeze on property taxes in NJ....dont have to worry about that. And in terms of weather, florida, arizona , etc are so hot that it's dangerous for a senior to be out and about. They are often stuck inside with an AC running all day. And have you seen plane tickets to florida??? its cheaper and easier to drive to central or south jersey than to fly to florida, TRUST ME! There are plenty of 55+ communities where they will shovel the snow and take care of all those things you are worried about. And I rather be close to family and friends instead of being alone. Yea things are all fine when you are 65, but when you are 75 and need help....then you are going to be wishing you had family close by. Also let's not forget the quality of healthcare and doctors around this region.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:47 PM

363 posts, read 286,416 times
Quote:
there is a senior freeze on property taxes in NJ....dont have to worry about that. And in terms of weather, florida, arizona , etc are so hot that it's dangerous for a senior to be out and about. They are often stuck inside with an AC running all day. And have you seen plane tickets to florida??? its cheaper and easier to drive to central or south jersey than to fly to florida, TRUST ME! There are plenty of 55+ communities where they will shovel the snow and take care of all those things you are worried about. And I rather be close to family and friends instead of being alone. Yea things are all fine when you are 65, but when you are 75 and need help....then you are going to be wishing you had family close by. Also let's not forget the quality of healthcare and doctors around this region.

it's settled then. you stay here and enjoy while i retire in naples and the greek islands. ciao!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey