Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 10:08 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

I had dinner in Ironbound yesterday. I ate at Adega Grill. Man, that roast suckling pig is salty.

Ironbound is such a unique and peculiar place to me. A middle class brazilian ethnic hub in the middle of grimy Newark, Elizabeth, and Hudson County on top of being smack in the heart of NNJ's (if not the whole country's) most densely packed urban area.

Are Brazilians big in Newark's political machine? Did The Sopranos ever do an episode featuring this place? They should have. I hear Portuguese but also a lot of vernacular american english. I dont think I ever met a Brazilian American before. I only met handful of brazilians working as wait staff/restaurants, BJJ instructors or strippers. I had no idea they have their own hub. Even the Green Fields Churrascaria in Hackensack is owned by a Korean.

What is the stereotypical occupation of Brazilians in America? Does these people ever leave their hub?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 10:15 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
brazilians are all mma fighters.

there was a period when i was probably in high school that my mom would pick up my brother in newark airport with me and then take us to a portuguese restaurant in newark. it still strikes me as a strange thing for my mom to have done.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:54 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
I don’t know the exact demographics, but I associate Ironbound more with Portuguese than Brazilian.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:11 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
ironbound is a like normandy beach and most of the rest of newark is occupied france

you should have gone to tiexeria and gotten Portuguese egg custards

Old 08-12-2019, 09:59 PM

88,514 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I don’t know the exact demographics, but I associate Ironbound more with Portuguese than Brazilian.
It's traditionally Portuguese and some Spanish, too. My friend grew up there, and her parents were born in Spain.

But, since NJ has such an influx of Brazilians over the past 10 - 15 years, some have come to the ironbound because Portuguese is their language, and some of the restaurants now feature rodizio, which is a Brazilian grilled meat fest.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:01 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's traditionally Portuguese and some Spanish, too. My friend grew up there, and her parents were born in Spain.

But, since NJ has such an influx of Brazilians over the past 10 - 15 years, some have come to the ironbound because Portuguese is their language, and some of the restaurants now feature rodizio, which is a Brazilian grilled meat fest.
There is Brazilian Churrascaria in Ironbound.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:52 AM

88,514 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Thanks. Couldn't think of that word. That's the meat fest.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:38 AM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
I had dinner in Ironbound yesterday. I ate at Adega Grill. Man, that roast suckling pig is salty.

Ironbound is such a unique and peculiar place to me. A middle class brazilian ethnic hub in the middle of grimy Newark, Elizabeth, and Hudson County on top of being smack in the heart of NNJ's (if not the whole country's) most densely packed urban area.

Are Brazilians big in Newark's political machine? Did The Sopranos ever do an episode featuring this place? They should have. I hear Portuguese but also a lot of vernacular american english. I dont think I ever met a Brazilian American before. I only met handful of brazilians working as wait staff/restaurants, BJJ instructors or strippers. I had no idea they have their own hub. Even the Green Fields Churrascaria in Hackensack is owned by a Korean.

What is the stereotypical occupation of Brazilians in America? Does these people ever leave their hub?
I know a couple Brazilians who are white collar professionals. Brazilians come in different varieties, northern Brazilians typically have Native and African lineage (from the Slave trade there that started before and lasted longer than in the US), however anyone that probably meet travelling abroad is from Central and South Brazil which are primarily German and Italian decent and for the most part look like a typical Fredo from old school Newark.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:18 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:

Agree, it is an interesting place. Used to have a customer located in the Ironbound district, and lunched at one or two of the places.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:05 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thanks. Couldn't think of that word. That's the meat fest.
It's also referred to as "Rodizio".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey