Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 2,689 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

Where would you recommend for us to live taking into account our profile below for families with young children and reasonable commute to the city.

Where are you coming from? Brooklyn, NYC
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Midtown, NYC

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? Up to $3,500
What kind of place are you looking for ? Condo, townhouses, houses - Minimum 2bed / 2bath

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Spouse and 2yr old daughter

Thanks you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 12:22 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
Is reasonable commute an hour door to door or 90 minutes door to door?

is there anything about Brooklyn that you want to replicate? City living? Green spaces like parks? Neighborhood families? Walkable train lines?

Is this a long term move or are you planning on relocating in 5 years when schools become a lot more important?

Old 09-16-2019, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I am fine with 90 minutes door to door; that's the max I would be willing to go for.

Since my wife works from home, would be nice to be in a town with a vibrant downtown scene. It does not need to be like BK or NYC but somewhere with nice restaurants and things to do for young couples with kids.

I believe we will be relocating as soon as I can afford to buy a place. Right now, our plan is to stay in this rental for at least 2/3 yrs.

Also missing from the above, we have two small dogs which makes the rental search a bi more challenge.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:26 PM

Yeah, I have to say the dogs are going to be the real sticking point with landlords and you're going to get a lot of nos.

Vibrant downtowns: Maplewood, Westfield, Cranford, Madison, Montclair, Summit, Jersey City and I think that's going to be be about it for your commute range. I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two and will be corrected. I can't guarantee that you'll find your budget in them but it's mostly because of the dogs than anything else.
https://www.nj.com/news/2018/10/roun...he_best_d.html

Old 09-16-2019, 01:35 PM

478 posts, read 1,230,138 times
I'd give Cranford, Morristown and Sommerville (outer limits of commute) a look.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the help.

I'll start visiting some areas next week. My wife want us to focus on Summit, South Orange and vicinity. But i'll check the ones you recommended as well.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:48 PM

99 posts, read 63,440 times
Try Lodi NJ. Nice houses, competitive rentals, backyards and garages and good schools. 60-75min door to most doors (with bus). Rentals easily 2500 or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caruspim View Post
Hi Guys,

Where would you recommend for us to live taking into account our profile below for families with young children and reasonable commute to the city.

Where are you coming from? Brooklyn, NYC
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Midtown, NYC

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? Up to $3,500
What kind of place are you looking for ? Condo, townhouses, houses - Minimum 2bed / 2bath

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Spouse and 2yr old daughter

Thanks you

Old 09-16-2019, 01:49 PM

Oh, South Orange, I knew I was forgetting at least one!

Old 09-18-2019, 08:07 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caruspim View Post
Thanks for the help.

I'll start visiting some areas next week. My wife want us to focus on Summit, South Orange and vicinity. But i'll check the ones you recommended as well.
This building in South Orange is very dog-friendly and doesn't have size restrictions. And it's in your price range. I live nearby and see people walking big dogs all the time. (I approve because I own big dogs myself.) It's right next door to a large park (Waterlands Field) with a walking path into the woods. Couldn't ask for a better location for dog-walking. It's also about a block from the train station.

I can't address the other large/new apartment complexes in town. I just happen to know this one well because I walk my own dogs at the same park.

https://www.gaslightcommonsapts.com/

Old 09-21-2019, 08:09 AM

7 posts, read 4,666 times
If you need an agent to make appointments to check out some rentals let me know! I'd be happy to help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey