Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 11:41 AM

5 posts, read 12,184 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

First time posting on the site. For my entire life I lived in Brooklyn and in a good area but over the last year or so I've honestly got really tired of this city an need a new breath of fresh air. Here's my problem, my income is roughly 4K a month, I'm currently paying for a small studio $1600 plus utilities, so around 2k a month. I want to move out the city entirely, so I'm looking into NY,NJ,PA & CT as I want to be wishing driving distance of th city when I visit possibly one weekend every month to visit my family. So a commute of 2 hours is suitable for me by car. I looking preferably a one bedroom for around 1k a month, I'm an introvert so I don't go out much and the upside is that I work from home. I am a 1099 employee so NY takes a nice chunk from my salary. I'm single no kids, have 1 cat and would prefer a quiet and safe location. Any suggestions would be helpful, I'm hoping to make the move at the end of 2016 when my lease expires.

Also I prefer cooler climate and like water so a place where I can visit a lake or river would be awesome as it helps me brainstorm. I have a car so the commute isn't a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 11:50 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Try Morristown NJ, slightly urban with a decent downtown area, about half an hour to Lake Hopatcong, about 1.5 hours to Jersey Shore and there is a train with service into NYC.

Orange or Rockland counties in NY.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:59 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,818,378 times
I'd look into small towns east of Allentown or Scranton. Couple hours from the city, lower cost of living. I'm sure you could find something nice for your budget. Lots of small lakes/ponds around. PA gets my vote. Good luck!

Old 07-07-2016, 03:12 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Port Jervis, NY: Keyport, Cliffwood or Keansburg, NJ.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:45 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
Look at Dutchess or Ulster counties, perhaps someplace like Saugerties would appeal to you.

Litchfield County CT would also work although that price range is probably a little tough.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:41 AM

610 posts, read 533,286 times
If you consider moving out of NY state, be sure to look at the impact on your state income taxes. It could be considerable.

Upper Fairfield County CT might work. It gets pretty woodsy up there and there are lots of lakes. Danbury has apartments, otherwise not so many.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:05 AM

I was actually looking into apartments in washingtonville, NY but I heard that it's a very small town with close-minded folks who aren't really open to other races. Me being a minority (Hispanic) I dispise racism and can't really stand stubborn or close minded folk. I'm quiet but I listen to heavy metal and wear mostly black. I don't however have any tattoos, long hair or pericings but I don't like being looked down upon.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I'd look into small towns east of Allentown or Scranton. Couple hours from the city, lower cost of living. I'm sure you could find something nice for your budget. Lots of small lakes/ponds around. PA gets my vote. Good luck!
I looked into some apartments in Allentown, some really affordable but the town seems run down from what I can see on google maps. Hopefully it's safe.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:52 AM

93,349 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The big Dan View Post
I was actually looking into apartments in washingtonville, NY but I heard that it's a very small town with close-minded folks who aren't really open to other races. Me being a minority (Hispanic) I dispise racism and can't really stand stubborn or close minded folk. I'm quiet but I listen to heavy metal and wear mostly black. I don't however have any tattoos, long hair or pericings but I don't like being looked down upon.
Umm, there are Black and Hispanic residents in the Washingtonville area. I don't know if there is tension, but you wouldn't be the only or even one of a few Hispanics/"minorities" in that area. For instance, here is recent demographic info for Washingtonville High School: http://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sch...D=363003004040

So, there is a visible degree of diversity in the area. This is common for school districts in Orange and Dutchess counties, as all of them seem to have at least a visible degree of diversity/integration.

Something people may not know is that before it became a part of the NYC metro area, the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown metro was one of the most integrated top 100 metro areas in the United States and it had one of the smallest Per Capita Income gaps between Blacks/Hispanics/Asians and Whites in the country. While Orange and Dutchess counties aren't without issues, that area may be one of the best areas in terms of integration and economic disparities in the country, relatively speaking.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-10-2016 at 08:02 AM..

Old 07-12-2016, 02:08 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,511 times
I'd go with Pennsylvania. You being in 1099, I don't know how old you are, but when u retire, Pennsylvania does not tax NY pensions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York