Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 06:07 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times

Advertisements

Your best tactic these days is to just not pick up calls from unknown callers. Everything else is either an exercise in futility, or you are just encouraging your number to be pinged more.

I deal with phone malarkey with different ringtones. My frequent callers (friends, family, work) all have different ring tones so I know without even looking at the phone who is calling. For example, if my phone starts ringing with the Cheers opening theme song, I know it's one of my friends or old college roommates. If it starts ringing with Beastie Boys Sabotage, it's my dumbass brother calling to complain about mom, or to ask for free baby sitting services. If it's a Patsy Cline song, then I know it's my mom, calling to complain about my brother, and probably also to tell me all the things I'm doing wrong in my life, and generally failing as a daughter. If it's the old fashioned rotary phone ringtone, I know it's a client or someone from work.

For my general ringtone, for everyone else, I always have some favorite song. This way, I do not get annoyed when I get unwanted calls. Instead, I perk up at the sound of a favorite tune. Currently, I am jamming out to Guns N' Roses. I think I must have gotten at least 10 spam calls today (because last week, I inadvertently answered one...goddamnit!). It gives me a certain measure of satisfaction to be able to leverage these calls for my personal entertainment and enjoyment. So, joke's on you, Jagadish/"Jason" from Chennai, you conniving cornball. WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE WE'VE GOT FUN AND GAMES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 06:36 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateskouros View Post
honestly, i don't know why we have a land line anymore. most of the calls are telemarketers and the (dis)like. the only problem is i also get them on my cell phone. this has got to stop.
Home alarm systems use landlines and they work with 911 service properly.

Landlines are better than cell phones for voice quality and service. No drop-outs when using a landline.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:22 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Your best tactic these days is to just not pick up calls from unknown callers. Everything else is either an exercise in futility, or you are just encouraging your number to be pinged more.

I deal with phone malarkey with different ringtones. My frequent callers (friends, family, work) all have different ring tones so I know without even looking at the phone who is calling. For example, if my phone starts ringing with the Cheers opening theme song, I know it's one of my friends or old college roommates. If it starts ringing with Beastie Boys Sabotage, it's my dumbass brother calling to complain about mom, or to ask for free baby sitting services. If it's a Patsy Cline song, then I know it's my mom, calling to complain about my brother, and probably also to tell me all the things I'm doing wrong in my life, and generally failing as a daughter. If it's the old fashioned rotary phone ringtone, I know it's a client or someone from work.

For my general ringtone, for everyone else, I always have some favorite song. This way, I do not get annoyed when I get unwanted calls. Instead, I perk up at the sound of a favorite tune. Currently, I am jamming out to Guns N' Roses. I think I must have gotten at least 10 spam calls today (because last week, I inadvertently answered one...goddamnit!). It gives me a certain measure of satisfaction to be able to leverage these calls for my personal entertainment and enjoyment. So, joke's on you, Jagadish/"Jason" from Chennai, you conniving cornball. WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE WE'VE GOT FUN AND GAMES.
Ringtones!

Will do, thanks, good advice without much drama.

Too bad we have to use work arounds.

Guess the consumers are left holding the bag while we pay for elected legislators, whose job 1 is re-election.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:32 AM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The Android phone app has a built in call screen feature. When your phone rings from an unknown number, there is a "Screen Call" button that pops up. If you hit that, Google automatically tells the person to state why they are calling, and if they respond, anything they say is transcribed right on their screen, so you can then choose to answer the call if you want. Of course all these calls are scams, so they never respond and just hang up. I only get about 1 spam call per week, so it doesn't really bother me. As someone else pointed out, you can configure your phone's Do Not Disturb settings so that only numbers you know will ring your phone.
What App is this?

Old 10-09-2019, 07:47 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Don't answer any calls you don't recognize. Problem solved. No app or ringtone needed.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:18 PM

146 posts, read 123,489 times
So many defeatist posts. Hanging up doesn't fix anything. I use The Jolly Roger Telephone Company robots to tie up the scammers for as long as possible. The idea is to break their business model.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:25 PM

12,988 posts, read 9,510,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_England View Post
Your phone ought to have a do not disturb setting that allows it to ring through when from people in your contacts. If it is real they will leave a message if outsiders.

I do not get bogus voicemails so it must thwart the auto dialers somehow.

It is about to be an election year, you will suffer if you don't do this.

BR,

Dave
iOS 13 for iPhone has that option.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:37 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Home alarm systems use landlines and they work with 911 service properly.

Landlines are better than cell phones for voice quality and service. No drop-outs when using a landline.
.....and with a landline you can hear the phone ring all over the house with extensions unlike a cell phone that you must carry with you from room to room.....it's almost like being tethered to an oxygen tank.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:43 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
There are a few patterns that I look at when screening calls. The robo calls usually use your area code and the prefix close to yours. I know it's robo call because nobody else I know have those numbers unless they are old colleagues and they are on my contact list.

All new businesses are using newer area codes. For 800 numbers the robo spammers are using unregistered numbers. All official businesses now are required to register and show up on CallerID who they are. Tmobile, Verizon, and ATT all use their own registered database for CallerID so robocallers cannot spoof CallerID as the IRS or Police Dept anymore.
Yes, I just swipe away calls that have a number that looks like mine.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:12 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Something I never see addressed, the HUGE burden sales/robo calls put on shift workers like doctors, nurses, first responders, etc., who are very likely trying to sleep during prime calling hours.

What are people who sleep during prime calling hours supposed to do when they need to be available for an elderly parent or a child? They certainly can't turn their phones off, so their sleep is constantly interrupted by bottom feeders who use the phone to sell products or scam people. Call after call after call after call.

Why don't we get these nuisance calls at 1-2-3-4-5 AM?

Is it because the "powers that be" would shut them down immediately?

......and if that is the case, these callers CAN be shut down, it's just that those who CAN shut them down choose not to shut them down.

Laws need to change so these nuisance calls become illegal and are stopped completely.

Each of us pays for our phones for PERSONAL USE.......NOT as a free advertising medium for bottom feeders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey