Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 06:46 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It is almost unanimous among scientists that this is happening. Can you look up facts and statistics about how quickly icebergs are melting and how many of disappeared in recent years. It is clear if you have eyes and ears that this is happening.
So far we have not seen any signs of the dire "end of the world" predictions that many scientists led us to believe would be happening. We're not seeing extreme global drought. We're not seeing larger, more intense, and more frequent hurricanes (if anything we have seen *fewer* hurricanes). Our winters are not being ravaged by intense blizzards. None of these dire predictions are panning out. Because global warming has been so over-hyped over the past 2 decades this is why so many people have doubt or simply don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 07:57 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
So far we have not seen any signs of the dire "end of the world" predictions that many scientists led us to believe would be happening. We're not seeing extreme global drought. We're not seeing larger, more intense, and more frequent hurricanes (if anything we have seen *fewer* hurricanes). Our winters are not being ravaged by intense blizzards. None of these dire predictions are panning out. Because global warming has been so over-hyped over the past 2 decades this is why so many people have doubt or simply don't care.
Beg to differ. We are seeing the results in the California wildfires. We are seeing the results and tornadoes and places that never had tornadoes before. We are seeing the results and salmon die offs in Alaska. If you choose to bury your head in the sand for political reasons, so be it. I’m going to put my faith in science and facts. No one can predict the exact timing when we’re going to be past that turning point, it does not mean it’s not coming.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Beg to differ. We are seeing the results in the California wildfires. We are seeing the results and tornadoes and places that never had tornadoes before. We are seeing the results and salmon die offs in Alaska. If you choose to bury your head in the sand for political reasons, so be it. I’m going to put my faith in science and facts. No one can predict the exact timing when we’re going to be past that turning point, it does not mean it’s not coming.
The latest wildfire in CA was sparked by a tree branch that came in contact with a power line. They showed it on the news last week (there was video footage from a traffic camera). The spread of the fire is caused by the Santa Ana winds, which have been blowing through that area since the beginning of time. I don't have any political affiliation to either party, so that's not an issue for me. I just don't see this as something I'm going to lose sleep over anytime soon.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:03 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
The latest wildfire in CA was sparked by a tree branch that came in contact with a power line. They showed it on the news last week (there was video footage from a traffic camera). The spread of the fire is caused by the Santa Ana winds, which have been blowing through that area since the beginning of time. I don't have any political affiliation to either party, so that's not an issue for me. I just don't see this as something I'm going to lose sleep over anytime soon.
I’m not talking about just the one fire. I’m talking about the fact that fire season is now much longer than it used to be, and the rainy season is much shorter than it used to be. That is why they’re having so many more fires now. You don’t have to lose any sleep, you’re probably middle-age like me and the burden of this will fall on our kids and grandkids. So sleep tightly with no worries.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:27 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Still waiting for the new Ice Age to occur that was predicted by the "experts" back in 1977.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:19 AM

108 posts, read 152,203 times
I'm tired of being lectured to by people who will never change their live style but expect me to change mine.

I'm tired of being lectured to by people who fly to their Climate Change conferences in their private jets.

I'm tired of being lectured to by a former president who tells me the oceans will swallow up the coastlines in "x" number of years but buys a $14 million estate on Cape Cod.

I'm tired of being lectured to by people who tell me the debate is over.

I could go on...

Old 11-11-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Still waiting for the new Ice Age to occur that was predicted by the "experts" back in 1977.
I remember being in school back in the 80's when my science teacher told us that by the year 2000 half of California would break off and fall into the ocean. Then there was some expert that said by the year 2000 children would not know what snowfall is because the earth would be too warm to have any more snowstorms. 30 years from now our grandchildren and great grandchildren will be having similar laughs.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:33 AM

146 posts, read 114,459 times
Weather isn't climate, but weather is climate. The climate is warming, but it's going to get colder before it gets warmer. It's Global Cooling, no Warming, no Climate Change, no Climate Crisis. We can raise a lot of money from carbon taxes, but it's not about the money. Everyone has to pay a carbon tax except me, while I travel around the world in my private jet talking down to everyone about how horrible they are for flying and driving their cars.

I've heard it all and it's all BS. It's nothing more than a money making scheme.

Ask Al Gore. He's so green his utility bills for his home total about $30,000 a year.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:54 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
What global warming? We are heading towards record LOW temps tomorrow and Sat. Our climate is directly influenced by the jet stream. Global warming was created by stupid liberals to come up with another reason to tax the hell out of us, so they can continue to line their pockets. Those liberals were screaming the end of the world was going to happen by 2000, then they said 2010. I am a weather enthusiast and kept track of temperature trends for the past 20 years, and there is zero evidence of rising temperatures. Also, there has been several storms just as bad as Sandy in the past. So, dont try that hurricane argument.
Low temp for early November is not much a big deal. We have had record highs, or spells of highs during proper winter months these past few years. So on average, our cold months have been much warmer.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:03 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
The problem is that the media hypes this stuff up so much that they are making the bark much bigger than the actual bite. The media desperately wants bad storms and other severe weather because it brings in viewers and big ratings. So when you have the media hyping this stuff up, but then nothing really happens, it introduces doubt.

Remember back in 2012 when "Superstorm" Sandy struck NJ. The media was all over it, claiming that New Jersey would be getting pummeled by storms like this more and more frequently. But guess what, in reality there has not been a storm anywhere near this magnitude, anywhere near NJ in the past 7 years. There haven't been any destructive storms anywhere along the east coast during this time. The same can be said for snow storms. Have we really seen an increase in blizzards or any other large storms in the last decade. I certainly don't see a trend.
Was there just a storm that destroyed the Bahamas and the Coastal regions of the Carolinas? And then another one that destroyed Puerto Rico like two years ago. I cant remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey