Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 05:55 PM

424 posts, read 1,478,876 times

Advertisements

Thanks royceb. Okay, I prefer driving and am not a public transportation guy, generally. So, I would prefer to drive from Madison to Hudson street. Would I be doing the same thing as you, then? But, you say you drive to Penn station which is getting into NYC. Isn't that going to be really crowded, and is that even necessary for me to get to Jersey City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2006, 10:17 PM

170 posts, read 962,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vauser View Post
Thanks royceb. Okay, I prefer driving and am not a public transportation guy, generally. So, I would prefer to drive from Madison to Hudson street. Would I be doing the same thing as you, then? But, you say you drive to Penn station which is getting into NYC. Isn't that going to be really crowded, and is that even necessary for me to get to Jersey City?
There is a Penn Station in Newark as well - you want to drive to that one. Driving to Newark and then taking the PATH over to Exchange Place is easier than just driving to Hudson because of the traffic between Newark and JC. You would have to take Routes 1 & 9 or the NJ Turnpike and they are a mess with traffic. Taking the PATH between Newark and JC is much easier. I have done this commute for about 3 years now and it is not that bad. Much better than taking the train into Hoboken and then getting on the PATH from there.

Old 12-25-2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjcheng View Post
If you are working at Jersey City and wife working at Basking Ridge, you may want to live at Edison Hollow South ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EdisonHollowSouth )
that can walk to Edison Train Station to take train to Newark Penn Station and transfer PATH to Exchange Place or Newport, and that's how I took to JP Morgan Chase at Jersey City.

Your wife will take Rt 529 North directly to Basking Ridge, and that's how I go to Citigroup at Basking Ridge.
Thanks wjcheng. Few questions:

* If I drove to Penn Station, Newark, NJ, parked my car there, and took the train to Exchange place and walked upto 101, Hudson Street, how long are we talking here, in terms of the total commute time from point-to-point (home to cube, that is)? From Edison Hollow South as well as from Madison.
* How are the schools in Edison, NJ? Especially, elementary schools.
* How long would it take my wife to go to Basking Ridge from Edison? She would prefer to stay closer to work and my son's school.

Old 12-25-2006, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royceb View Post
There is a Penn Station in Newark as well - you want to drive to that one. Driving to Newark and then taking the PATH over to Exchange Place is easier than just driving to Hudson because of the traffic between Newark and JC. You would have to take Routes 1 & 9 or the NJ Turnpike and they are a mess with traffic. Taking the PATH between Newark and JC is much easier. I have done this commute for about 3 years now and it is not that bad. Much better than taking the train into Hoboken and then getting on the PATH from there.
Okay, that makes sense. So, would this cut the total commute time to 45 mts? Or, are we still talking about an hour or over?

Old 12-25-2006, 03:47 PM

Also, if I were to drive from Madison, NJ to Liberty State Park, NJ and park my car there and take the PATH train to Exchange place, and walk upto Hudson Street, how long would that take?

Old 12-25-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjcheng View Post
Well, in fact, I drove two years from Edison Hollow South (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EdisonHollowSouth/ ) to Jersey City for two years, it is about one hour one way, but if you "time" the traffic, it may take only 45 minutes one way. This option is good in a sense, if your wife has meeting can not take care kids, and you may need to come back in the middle of day ... I left office at 4pm and just avoid the traffice on R1 and R9 ... and there is back road just to avoid traffice when approaching Menlo Park Mall ...

So, if you work at Exchange Place, you can just get a parking pass there and drive over from EHS ...

So, if you do not need to "walk to train station", you may even consider Waterford at Edison (http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Edison_Waterford/ ) that is right off Fwy 287 Exit and your wife will take Fwy 287 North to Basking Ridge, and you will take Fwy 287 to Turnpike to Jersey City, both highways, very fast!
Thank you! When you say Edison Hollow South, is it near Edison, NJ? Or, is this a different community or city nearby?

Also, are you saying that the drive from Edison Hollow South to N Maple Ave in Basking Ridge, is only about 20 mts?

Old 12-25-2006, 07:42 PM

Thanks wjcheng. Appreciate it. Looks like one has to be ready for longer commutes in NJ, atleast as compared to VA.. I've never commuted more than 20 mts ever, so a tough decision to make

Old 12-26-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Also, if I were to drive from Madison, NJ to Liberty State Park, NJ and park my car there and take the PATH train to Exchange place, and walk upto Hudson Street, how long would that take?
It would take longer because of traffic. Driving to Newark and taking the PATH to Exchange Place would be around 55 minutes door to door with usual traffic.

Old 12-26-2006, 10:48 AM

Thanks royceb. But what if I drove upto Liberty State Park (instead of Newark) and took the train to Exchange place? Would that make a difference? How much time would that cut, if any?

Also, ultimately, if I want to take the optimal route, what would that be? If I could find anyway to get there in 45 mts, that would be the best. Is that a possibility? Would driving all the way upto Jersey City, make sense (ignoring the exhorbitant parking costs for a minute)?

Old 12-26-2006, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks royceb. But what if I drove upto Liberty State Park (instead of Newark) and took the train to Exchange place? Would that make a difference? How much time would that cut, if any?

Also, ultimately, if I want to take the optimal route, what would that be? If I could find anyway to get there in 45 mts, that would be the best. Is that a possibility? Would driving all the way upto Jersey City, make sense (ignoring the exhorbitant parking costs for a minute)?
Driving to Liberty State would take longer because of traffic on the Turnpike and Rts 1&9. I have been doing this commute for a while and I found that driving to Newark and taking the PATH from there is optimal for commute time. Better than the train, better than fighting traffic at the Holland Tunnel (traffic backs up from there into JC). Driving into JC makes no sense unless you leave before 7 AM - the traffic really piles up after that.

I can't guarantee your commute will be 45 minutes every time, but you should be able to get there in under an hour. I usually leave my home at 7:30 and reach the come out of the WTC station by 8:30. Exchange place is the last stop before the WTC, so figure the commute is about 10 minues less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey