Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 05:05 PM

98 posts, read 117,233 times

Advertisements

I don't understand, the options in NJ for new construction are either townhouses/condos with HOA or Single Family Homes with >3000 sq ft. that cost nearly 1M$+ that cost a fortune to maintain let alone utilities.

Developers can at least leave a 5-10 ft space gap when constructing a home and charge an extra 100K+ rather than create a water fountain entrance to the development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 06:05 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,066,168 times
I too have lamented this. It comes down to one word, on the part of home-builders: GREED.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:48 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,018,320 times
Agreed! All new SFH construction in North Jersey is reserved only for the rich unfortunately.

Not the case in South Jersey though, where newly constructed SFHs for the middle class are plentiful.

Last edited by Busch Boy; 06-23-2020 at 06:59 PM..

Old 06-23-2020, 07:22 PM

821 posts, read 776,623 times
Land is very precious anywhere close to NYC so developers are trying to maximize their investments. The way to do that is build the biggest house possible on the land that they buy.

This is happening everywhere. In Westchester, developers will build a 3500 SF house on an 1/8 of an acre and build a 6000+ SF house on a 1/4 acre.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:50 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,066,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
Land is very precious anywhere close to NYC so developers are trying to maximize their investments.
It's not just that. I've owned a couple of lots (one in Hudson County, one in Bergen County) that I interviewed builders for. My lot, i.e. no investment on the part of the builder. I said that I wanted to build a modest home. As if they were reading from a script, they all said the same exact thing -- "I only do high end".
WTF ?
I'm hiring you, not the other way around ! e.g. I don't need, nor want, a $60K kitchen

But, since they know they can get their obscene markups elsewhere, they walk.
That, is greed. Plain & simple. And this has been the case whether it was a buyer's market or a seller's market.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:48 AM

131 posts, read 137,757 times
Friend of mine bought a 2600 sq ft new construction for 245k in Mays Landing so these are available just not where you want. For in-demand towns, developers can easily walk away with an extra 200k in profit just by adding a few hundred sq ft, hard to argue with that.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:00 AM

82 posts, read 80,078 times
I made a similar thread a few weeks ago.

The housing stock in North Jersey sucks for middle class people. One of the many reasons why i'm heavily considering moving is because you can attain such a higher quality of life elsewhere; even if you take a big salary cut.

It's sorta painful watching most of my middle class friends who live just about anywhere outside of the NYC metro area enjoy nice fresh new homes that they were able to attain easily; while the only thing available to us over here are small beat-down 1950's capes/ranches, condos or stuff in crap neighborhoods (all with insane tax bills attached to them).

Last edited by OceanDude; 06-24-2020 at 07:39 AM..

Old 06-24-2020, 08:59 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,644,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
It's not just that. I've owned a couple of lots (one in Hudson County, one in Bergen County) that I interviewed builders for. My lot, i.e. no investment on the part of the builder. I said that I wanted to build a modest home. As if they were reading from a script, they all said the same exact thing -- "I only do high end".
WTF ?
I'm hiring you, not the other way around ! e.g. I don't need, nor want, a $60K kitchen

But, since they know they can get their obscene markups elsewhere, they walk.
That, is greed. Plain & simple. And this has been the case whether it was a buyer's market or a seller's market.
It’s unfair to call that greed. Constructing a high end kitchen is probably not much more work than constructing a modest kitchen. Would you leave your current employer to do the same work for another company for less pay, everything else being equal?

Old 06-24-2020, 09:08 AM

175 posts, read 282,659 times
The reason why is simple. Builders simply can't make money off new, singe-family homes that cost $250k-500k. That's why every new home development in NJ that isn't a townhome complex or a senior community are composed of the same old bland, brick McMansions. Even in more blue-collar towns where the school districts are just eh, these McMansions are still the only type of new homes being built. I now live in the DC area and its the same way; every new development is expensive, and the only affordable new homes are an hour and a half away in West Virginia. It's the same reason why every new apartment complex in NYC is luxury penthouses and not apartments for the working or middle class. The profit margin for building new homes that are affordable is simply too low, while the profit margins for McMansions are much higher. The land in NJ is also quite expensive so that is another contributing factor. The state needs to step in and incentivize lower-priced single family housing that isn't townhomes or senior communities. The middle class in NJ is dying more and more as time goes on; there is simply less and less places for them to live here.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:58 AM

20 posts, read 15,671 times
There are plenty of options for brand new entry level starter homes, but only in South Jersey. I bought my first new construction home a few years ago in Union County for $250k with high taxes, but only because the builder was receiving a grant from the state to build new homes in a certain area that used to be run down. Now those houses have nearly doubled in price simply because property values have increased since then. But like many people have stated here, the reason you don't see affordable new homes in North Jersey is simply because there is no money in it for the builders (GREED).....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey