Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 03:07 PM

40 posts, read 144,146 times

Advertisements

I really hate it! I drive about 30 miles back and forth and even though my car is fuel efficient I still spend about 2 gallons a day, which is about $50 a week. That's too much of a spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 04:43 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
To all the people that say mass transit is the answer. I save money by driving my car than using mass transit. It depends on where you live. We could debate this for days. Who drives far to commute, who has a SUV, who using heat, who uses AC electric. These things we choose. Everyone of the quotes I read had a different reason. We can't all sell are cars and SUVs and jump in prius's. We can't all sell our houses and move to the cities where we work. People that think this are not being well informed. As for myself I bought this house as my retirement home a few years ago and it might just be about time to use this option. Our vehicles get over 30 MPG.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:29 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
Funny, NJ has among the lowest fuel taxes in the country. On the east coast, only GA is lower (off the top of my head, might be wrong). We drove to Florida the other day and despite lowest fuel taxes, NJ had the highest prices of all states. We drove round trip to Florida for about $300 including tolls. A lot cheaper than flying.

I only wish I had not sold my 2002 TDI 5spd Golf which consistently got 50mpg. In the TDI Jetta automatic, we get a little under 40 going 80 mph and over 40 mpg when we have to slow down in the northern half of the East coast.

I don't think it has affected us yet.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:38 PM

323 posts, read 2,089,787 times
Definetely an interesting point Bob!

The point of the matter is...I remember last year that we hit $3 a gallon for the first time, and I recall reading articles like $100 to fill up a hummer etc etc.

What about this year, when prices are topping $3.50 a gallon, you're not hearing many complaints.
It's because we're all use to paying at least $3 a gallon and they just keep pushing the envelope.
I seriously doubt we'll ever see gas prices south of $3 again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Interesting theory-if it actually worked.

I live 35 miles from work, and my truck gets 20 mpg. At $3.50/gallon, that's $12.25/day x 22 days of work/month = $269.50/month to drive to work. Let's get really crazy and call it $500/month to account for wear and tear, etc.

If I was to move to within 5 miles of work, I'd spend at least $500k for a house thats in an area thats even remotely safe, and it'd be a smaller, older home than what we have now- but we'll forget about that part for now and assume it doesn't matter- we'll just look at the $$. My mortgage just went up $200k from what I'm spending now, so I've increased my monthly mortgage payment by around $1,200, and my taxes are probably at least $2,500 more/year, so that's another $200/month, for a total of $1,400/month.

So, take my added $1,400/month and take away my $500 in commuting costs, and I've got a net loss of $900/month. Add in the misery of having to listen to my wife complain about the house being too small (can't put a price on that, really), and the time I'll spend working on that house all weekend (since those old houses always need something), and now explain to me how your theory makes sense???

Ohh, and before you throw in the "but you spend 2 hours commuting every day that you could spend with your children", bear in mind that I do my morning commute at 5:30am, so that's not exactly time I'd have with my kids anyway, and the afternoon commute time would be more than offset by the time spent working on the house. Not to mention that I enjoy the "me time" of the commute.....

Old 04-29-2008, 06:13 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Funny, NJ has among the lowest fuel taxes in the country. On the east coast, only GA is lower (off the top of my head, might be wrong). We drove to Florida the other day and despite lowest fuel taxes, NJ had the highest prices of all states. We drove round trip to Florida for about $300 including tolls. A lot cheaper than flying.

I only wish I had not sold my 2002 TDI 5spd Golf which consistently got 50mpg. In the TDI Jetta automatic, we get a little under 40 going 80 mph and over 40 mpg when we have to slow down in the northern half of the East coast.

I don't think it has affected us yet.

i just drove back from FL and NJ was cheapest (SC was a very close 2nd). i got home saturday. dc traffic was HORRENDOUS - we averaged 80mph from smithfield nc to woodbridge va, when we came to a complete stop for a long time.

All other states besides SC/NJ were around $3.60.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:23 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,937,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i just drove back from FL and NJ was cheapest (SC was a very close 2nd). i got home saturday. dc traffic was HORRENDOUS - we averaged 80mph from smithfield nc to woodbridge va, when we came to a complete stop for a long time.

All other states besides SC/NJ were around $3.60.
NJ is the cheapest as far as tax on gas....but of course we are taxed a ton more on everything else, unlike other places.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:26 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,126,347 times
The gas price does not affect DH and me at all since we both take mass transit.

The increase in gas price is obviously hitting alot of commuters hard. However, a part of me hope that some good will come out of this. Maybe it will encourage people to make more effort to carpool, bike and trade in for cars that get more mpg.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:37 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,937,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
The gas price does not affect DH and me at all since we both take mass transit.

The increase in gas price is obviously hitting alot of commuters hard. However, a part of me hope that some good will come out of this. Maybe it will encourage people to make more effort to carpool, bike and trade in for cars that get more mpg.
Would love to take mass transit or carpool, but logistically for me it just wouldn't work

Old 04-29-2008, 07:49 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Would love to take mass transit or carpool, but logistically for me it just wouldn't work
Unfortunately that is the problem for 70 or 80 percent of the people. Not many people live next to a rail station or bus route. And if you live nearby it's 2 trains and a bus, or 2 buses and a train. Then if one is delayed your F***ed. I wish I had the answer and I would share it with everyone.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:59 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,967,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Unfortunately that is the problem for 70 or 80 percent of the people. Not many people live next to a rail station or bus route. And if you live nearby it's 2 trains and a bus, or 2 buses and a train. Then if one is delayed your F***ed. I wish I had the answer and I would share it with everyone.
the answer is that people like you who moved to places like ocean county thinking they would have a cheap auto commute to N. jersey or NYC made a big miscalculation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey