Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 09:13 AM

332 posts, read 521,580 times

Advertisements

Though fwiw 1133 Cumbermeade in Fort Lee is totally bonkers, and you should totally go see it just for amusement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 09:24 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulus View Post
Though fwiw 1133 Cumbermeade in Fort Lee is totally bonkers, and you should totally go see it just for amusement.
Amusing for sure - $2m w/ no pool or enclosed garage?

Old 03-17-2022, 09:36 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iced_green_tea View Post
If traffic is the main down side of Fort Lee, then wouldn’t Tenafly and the nearby cities be worse? Since they are even further out and commute to NYC would be longer.
No, it's that so much traffic is in Fort Lee because it's where the busiest bridge in the world is located. The traffic that is spread out in those-further out towns that is HEADED for the bridge is coming together and converging in Fort Lee. A whole bunch of roads and highways coming together at the approaches to one bridge. In Fort Lee. Roads are cut off at rush hours to try to help the residents, but it's nearly impossible to get from one side of town to the other easily at those times.

20 - 25 miles west in Ridgewood, you go to the train station, get your coffee and bagel at the concession inside, get on the train, and read, nap, listen to music or whatever while someone else conveys you in comfort to the city.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:56 AM

1,364 posts, read 611,485 times
Montclair
Closter
Essex Fells
Cedar Grove
Haworth

A bit further afield
Saddle River
E. Saddle River
Ho-Ho-Kus

More further afield
Ramsey
Mahwah

Good luck!

Old 03-17-2022, 09:59 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEN2RION View Post
Montclair
Closter
Essex Fells
Cedar Grove
Haworth

A bit further afield
Saddle River
E. Saddle River
Ho-Ho-Kus

More further afield
Ramsey
Mahwah

Good luck!
Not that familiar with the first four, but none of the bolded towns have a walkable downtown with a good selection of restaurants at all. Ramsey does have Main Street, and there are a few good restaurants there.

Old 03-17-2022, 11:09 AM

7 posts, read 13,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEN2RION View Post
Montclair
Closter
Essex Fells
Cedar Grove
Haworth

A bit further afield
Saddle River
E. Saddle River
Ho-Ho-Kus

More further afield
Ramsey
Mahwah

Good luck!
Heard good things about Montclair but unfortunately it doesn’t seem to have good schools. At least not anywhere as good as you’ll find in Millburn/Short Hills, Ridgewood, or Tenafly areas.

Old 03-17-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, it's that so much traffic is in Fort Lee because it's where the busiest bridge in the world is located. The traffic that is spread out in those-further out towns that is HEADED for the bridge is coming together and converging in Fort Lee. A whole bunch of roads and highways coming together at the approaches to one bridge. In Fort Lee. Roads are cut off at rush hours to try to help the residents, but it's nearly impossible to get from one side of town to the other easily at those times.

20 - 25 miles west in Ridgewood, you go to the train station, get your coffee and bagel at the concession inside, get on the train, and read, nap, listen to music or whatever while someone else conveys you in comfort to the city.
How is the commute from Ridgewood? It’s too bad they don’t have direct trains. Also what if you don’t live walking distance from the train station - is there free parking at the station?

Old 03-17-2022, 11:20 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iced_green_tea View Post
How is the commute from Ridgewood? It’s too bad they don’t have direct trains. Also what if you don’t live walking distance from the train station - is there free parking at the station?
Direct trains to where?

Its very easy.

NJT to Secaucus to Penn or Hoboken to Path depending where you need to go in the city. Parking at rw train station is free w/ resident sticker.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1985 View Post
These budget posts really annoy me.

"I have a budget of $7,000/month, where can I afford that is safe and has good schools"
"I have a budget of $2 million, is there anywhere with good schools and access to NYC that I can afford?"

Like, are you just here to brag about your wealth? If you're resourceful enough to afford a $2 million house, you're resourceful enough to spend 5 minutes on Google Maps and Zillow and figure out that dozens of towns in North Jersey, including all the best in terms of downtowns and schools, are at your fingertips.

To answer your question, I'd probably stick with northeast Bergen County (Tenafly, Englewood/Englewood Cliffs, Demarest, etc). Best access to NYC, nice topography (fairly hilly) with some wooded areas, good downtowns, and I assume good schools. I lived in Tenafly for 7-8 months for work. North of GW bridge and east near the river are generally your nicest towns, with Alpine (the nation's wealthiest zip code about ten years ago) the ritziest; hell, you could probably afford there too, last I checked median price was around $2 million.

Of course there are many other nice places near NYC you can afford; Ridgewood, Montclair, Short Hills, etc. Ramsey/Ho-Ho-Kus/Saddle River very nice but farther from city and not as good in the way of downtowns.
That’s not my intention at all. The reason I included the budget is because when people ask generic questions around which neighborhood people recommend, the answer is always depends on your budget. I did spend a lot of time doing online searches and even visiting some houses. It’s hard to know how you like a neighborhood until you lived there. That’s why I wanted to get perspectives from people who lived in NJ before and know these neighborhoods first hand.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:40 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1985 View Post
These budget posts really annoy me.

"I have a budget of $7,000/month, where can I afford that is safe and has good schools"
"I have a budget of $2 million, is there anywhere with good schools and access to NYC that I can afford?"

Like, are you just here to brag about your wealth? If you're resourceful enough to afford a $2 million house, you're resourceful enough to spend 5 minutes on Google Maps and Zillow and figure out that dozens of towns in North Jersey, including all the best in terms of downtowns and schools, are at your fingertips.

To answer your question, I'd probably stick with northeast Bergen County (Tenafly, Englewood/Englewood Cliffs, Demarest, etc). Best access to NYC, nice topography (fairly hilly) with some wooded areas, good downtowns, and I assume good schools. I lived in Tenafly for 7-8 months for work. North of GW bridge and east near the river are generally your nicest towns, with Alpine (the nation's wealthiest zip code about ten years ago) the ritziest; hell, you could probably afford there too, last I checked median price was around $2 million.

Of course there are many other nice places near NYC you can afford; Ridgewood, Montclair, Short Hills, etc. Ramsey/Ho-Ho-Kus/Saddle River very nice but farther from city and not as good in the way of downtowns.
Love this post! When I was 25, I had a monthly budget of a rubber mouse and an empty can of generic cola. And that was with working 3 jobs.

It’s like the House Hunters episodes: “I catch butterflies part-time and my wife sniffs trees for a living. Our budget is 1.7 million. Can we find anything in rural Arkansas?”

I bought my first (and likely only) house at 45, for about a fifth of that budget, and you know what? I’m grateful for it…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey