Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2022, 08:46 AM

26 posts, read 35,996 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Been living in southern Bergen County for 4.5 years, but now that the wife and I are both working remote (no more NYC commutes), we are considering moving to Ocean or Monmouth County within the next year or so. I have a decent familiarity of Ocean County from all of my daily/weekend visits and stays over the past 10-15 years but I don't know what it's like to actually live in Ocean or Monmouth County. We have a 2 year old, for what it's worth---our only child.

Although the state as a whole is very dense, we are just looking for safe areas that have good elementary and high schools. We would also like to be in the vicinity of a pretty good downtown with restaurants and bars. Doesn't have to be walking distance, but within a few minutes of driving would be ideal. Also, we would like to be within a 20 minute driving window of a good beach, and our max budget would probably be around $650,000 (3 or 4 bedroom house with 1.5 or 2 baths).

And to be honest, we would probably go over budget and closet to $800,000 and live very close to the beach, but the thought of another hurricane Sandy coming through absolutely deters me from being that close to the shoreline.

The towns that do come to my mind are Point Pleasant Borough and Manahawkin but these are the only ones that really come to my mind when considering the above checklist of wants.

Are there any other towns that fit my description of wants that I am probably unaware of?

Let me know your thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks, all.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 09:00 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Well, when you say "pretty good downtown with restaurants and bars in Monmouth County", the first thing that comes to mind is Red Bank.

You could look there but adjoining towns like Shrewsbury or Tinton Falls are good places to start, as well. Middletown, too. Look at Oceanport, small town often forgotten. Little Silver.

I live two miles from Red Bank and love the location for accessibility to both a town like that and a fifteen-minute drive to the beach. I too wanted a beach town when I first moved down from Bergen County, and I rented in Long Branch for nine months, but because of costs and other factors (different situation, older woman with only child away at college at the time), I moved about six miles inland when I bought in a townhouse complex. That was in 2010. In 2011, hurricane Irene hit, and in 2012, the Sandy storm, and then I was glad I did not live in a beach town.

Besides the obvious danger of damage and loss from storms, things like insurance are much higher within two miles of the ocean.

Note: While the City of Long Branch itself is undergoing a rejuvenation and therefore has expensive beachfront properties while still having some "problem" areas a few blocks away, the beaches themselves are beautiful and don't seem to attract too many of the daytripper crowd from NYC and north Jersey, who go further on down to places like Point or Seaside. That is where I go to the beach. There are good restaurants and bars near the beaches there, as well, but the mile-long boardwalk is more of an actual walking boardwalk without all the schlocky stuff.

Old 06-06-2022, 12:18 PM

58 posts, read 63,083 times
There are houses for sale in rumson in your range, one for 725k. I'm sure it will need a bit of sprucing up, our house did when we moved in over 20 years ago and it's paid back massively in terms of equity. The schools are excellent and people are generally very happy here.

Don't worry about the hurricanes too much, worry more about the flood zone rating on the property and stay well away from the Shrewsbury River, which floods every storm. All of us in NJ get the wind damage. I'm within 2 miles of the ocean and our property taxes aren't more than anyone else with a home of similar value.

Old 06-06-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworiversguy View Post
There are houses for sale in rumson in your range, one for 725k. I'm sure it will need a bit of sprucing up, our house did when we moved in over 20 years ago and it's paid back massively in terms of equity. The schools are excellent and people are generally very happy here.

Don't worry about the hurricanes too much, worry more about the flood zone rating on the property and stay well away from the Shrewsbury River, which floods every storm. All of us in NJ get the wind damage. I'm within 2 miles of the ocean and our property taxes aren't more than anyone else with a home of similar value.
I did not mention Rumson or Fair Haven because I wasn't sure of the price ranges but yes, great towns to add if within the budget.

If you do want a beach town, check out Monmouth Beach.

Old 06-07-2022, 02:48 PM

26 posts, read 35,996 times
192 views and 3 replies....helpful

Old 06-07-2022, 03:16 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,633,251 times
This forum skews more northern NJ. I probably couldn’t name 3 Monmouth county towns.

Old 06-07-2022, 04:56 PM

46 posts, read 42,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyMusic View Post

Well, I'm viewing this thread because I'm interested in the replies. Don't currently live in NJ but considering a move there within the next few years. My requirements are different from yours since I'm getting close to retirement age and my budget would be less, but still finding the replies to be helpful. Hope you can find what you're looking for.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:44 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyMusic View Post
And they were free! My family started vacationing on LBI in 1960. I've only been driven through Bergen County a few times. I can't help you. I've looked at this thread at least six times hoping to learn something.

Old 06-08-2022, 12:02 AM

I think I'm the only regular poster who does live in Monmouth County. And the only one who lived in Bergen County most of her life and then moved to Monmouth County (ten years in Passaic County/West Paterson, now known as Woodland Park).

Old 06-08-2022, 05:37 AM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times
Ocean county is wildly different from Monmouth. Monmouth is still a commuter county. Once you get into Ocean County, the only real NYC influence is visitors and those who’ve moved there either in retirement or to fully detach. It’s only recently that Ocean has started to attract people like you because of work from home.

Point being, Ocean will seem “hickish” compared to much more “cosmopolitan” suburban Monmouth, especially the towns more north and/or on direct train lines. Put it this way, I started school in the Ocean County beach town where my mother grew up and has moved back to, have had family there my entire life, never went more than a few months without visited (even while in the Army), and I am still a “Benny” to people there (family included). It’s a different world once you cross exit 89.

I’d prefer Ocean, but from your post I’d think you’d prefer Monmouth. What about the towns along 36 going down towards Sandy Hook? Some really nice towns once you get south of Leonardo (which isn’t so bad itself). Highlands and Atlantic Highlands are desirable, very close to beaches, and elevated above the water so no real hurricane risk. Atlantic Highlands has a beachy-feel “downtown” dock area with tons of good restaurants. Point Pleasant is nice, but the boardwalk towns get absolutely crazy in the summer. Non-boardwalk beach towns are much more family oriented.

I also agree with MQ’s suggestions. My sister lives a few blocks off of the main drag in Red Bank. Really cool place, fits all your wants. Middletown is more suburban, but a great quiet town. We wanted to be there initially but I am much more tied to the city so I opted to stay closer for now.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey