Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 03:58 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,048 times

Advertisements

I'm actually ace, so I identify as LGBTQIA. I was so sad to see that Hotel Tides closed; I loved staying there in 2016. This thread about gay beaches made me chuckle. I had a memory pop up on my Facebook feed the other day and it was a meme that said: "to anyone who is upset that LGBTQ people "stole" the rainbow: Rain itself is next. Soon to be followed by the Sun. The moon is already a lesbian." I was reading those posts as I read that meme. :LOL:

My one co-worker suggested the Isle of Capri in North Wildwood. I'm actually thinking about New England, neither of us have been there. However, when we plan and book on Saturday, I'll give him options. Ultimately it is up to me since it's my birthday, but I want his help too. Honestly, it isn't ultimately up to me. He's my partner and the love of my life and I want him to enjoy as well. He gets as much of a say as I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 04:44 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I'm actually ace, so I identify as LGBTQIA. I was so sad to see that Hotel Tides closed; I loved staying there in 2016. This thread about gay beaches made me chuckle. I had a memory pop up on my Facebook feed the other day and it was a meme that said: "to anyone who is upset that LGBTQ people "stole" the rainbow: Rain itself is next. Soon to be followed by the Sun. The moon is already a lesbian." I was reading those posts as I read that meme. :LOL:

My one co-worker suggested the Isle of Capri in North Wildwood. I'm actually thinking about New England, neither of us have been there. However, when we plan and book on Saturday, I'll give him options. Ultimately it is up to me since it's my birthday, but I want his help too. Honestly, it isn't ultimately up to me. He's my partner and the love of my life and I want him to enjoy as well. He gets as much of a say as I do.
I am happy to hear you found someone who makes you happy, Jess. I knew you would have been OK on your own, but it's nice when life tosses you a surprise.

Old 06-23-2022, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am happy to hear you found someone who makes you happy, Jess. I knew you would have been OK on your own, but it's nice when life tosses you a surprise.
Indeed. I never thought I'd meet someone who'd accept my asexuality. While we do compromise and I told him my history, he's been loving and patient. I'm really grateful that he's in my life. I love him deeply.

I found this Air BNB right outside of Boston for $64/night. It looks like a charming house, and while we'd be staying with the family, they have two cats. The house is near public transit too. I'm leaving the window open, and that will be one of the options. We will also look at New Jersey. However, $64/night, doesn't seem that bad!

Old 06-23-2022, 07:06 PM

He just got a job that opens on my birthday. Looks like I'll be travelling alone. Oh well.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:27 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
If the gays didn't move into the neighborhood there would have no gentrification and it literally would be worse than Camden, NJ as far as crime. The gays spurred the gentrification and investors followed.

We can say its a diversified community with all walks of life, with an overwhelming population of beachgoers that are gay. There nothing wrong with that, alot of the nightlife is open to gays, along with the Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, rock lovers, a pull of club goers who come down to Belmar. However when it comes to going and catching some rays, as someone with a beach house in Belmar for 7 years, its common knowledge what the beach is "unofficially", well at least a chunk of it..
Sorry but you're wrong.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:36 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Sorry but you're wrong.
Yep I make this all up. Not sure what NJ you live in? Heres a leftwing news article that regurgitates everything I just said (and its the first one I just clicked on).

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-j...bout_b_3561717

And if you dont want to believe about the crime stats, its the 4th most dangerous town in NJ at the moment, even after the gentrification. At one point it was #1 and still more dangerous than Newark or Atlantic City which we have numerous threads here about.
https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/u...ate-statistics

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 06-24-2022 at 09:48 PM..

Old 06-25-2022, 07:17 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Yep I make this all up. Not sure what NJ you live in? Heres a leftwing news article that regurgitates everything I just said (and its the first one I just clicked on).

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-j...bout_b_3561717

And if you dont want to believe about the crime stats, its the 4th most dangerous town in NJ at the moment, even after the gentrification. At one point it was #1 and still more dangerous than Newark or Atlantic City which we have numerous threads here about.
https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/u...ate-statistics
No one is disputing that Asbury Park is gay friendly. It is your characterization that it is “overwhelmingly” gay. The article you linked to is highlighting a special event weekend. It doesn’t look like that all of the time. Man, I made a trip to New Orleans several years ago and it unbeknownst to me was during Southern Decadence. Men were butt naked in some bars, junk hanging out for all to see. That’s not to say New Orleans is like that all of the time. I’ve been to Asbury twice and never noticed anything aside from a gay couple holding hands as they walked past us eating at a restaurant. Maybe I wasn’t at the right part of the beach, i.e. the one you specified. But even then that should tell you something…it’s just one part, not the whole town.

Regarding the crime stats, of course Asbury still has some crummy areas, but just like you also see in Atlantic City and Wildwood, these stats are distorted because a lot of crime is committed by out of towners during the summer. So while the town’s population may be listed at 15,000 and that is what they divide by to get the rate, in truth, the effective population during the summer is multiples of that, so the rate isn’t quite so accurate.

Old 06-25-2022, 07:37 AM

58 posts, read 63,225 times
Quote:
Sorry but you're wrong.

In this case he's not wrong. My brother was an earlier pioneer, as were all of his gay friends. They bought up houses first in Ocean Grove and made the neighborhoods nice and then moved into Asbury back in the 90s and did partially improve the town. My brother brought and renovated two houses over 10 years.

Old 06-25-2022, 05:24 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworiversguy View Post
In this case he's not wrong. My brother was an earlier pioneer, as were all of his gay friends. They bought up houses first in Ocean Grove and made the neighborhoods nice and then moved into Asbury back in the 90s and did partially improve the town. My brother brought and renovated two houses over 10 years.
Yes he is and so are you. Make no mistake I am not minimalizing the contributions the Gay community has made to the resurgence of AP make no mistake about that but to say that it was Gays that saved AP is simply wrong. Ocean Grove already had some very nice neighborhoods. I lived at the NJ Shore since I was born in 56 ,not making anything up.
The resurgence of AP has been take decade to accomplish and yes many are responsible for it, Gays , Rockers, Artist, real estate investors who put their money on the line,......just many people . Funny you talk about your brother , mine brothers company has been "flipping houses" in OG and AP for a good thirty years. They also help sell not one but two different movie companies to film in AP. Again it's not just one group.

Old 06-26-2022, 07:39 AM

58 posts, read 63,225 times
Quote:
Yes he is and so are you. Make no mistake I am not minimalizing the contributions the Gay community has made to the resurgence of AP make no mistake about that but to say that it was Gays that saved AP is simply wrong. Ocean Grove already had some very nice neighborhoods. I lived at the NJ Shore since I was born in 56 ,not making anything up.
The resurgence of AP has been take decade to accomplish and yes many are responsible for it, Gays , Rockers, Artist, real estate investors who put their money on the line,......just many people . Funny you talk about your brother , mine brothers company has been "flipping houses" in OG and AP for a good thirty years. They also help sell not one but two different movie companies to film in AP. Again it's not just one group.

When I said "partially" it was because I don't think Asbury has yet been saved. My mom grew up there, my grandfather was an Asbury cop, most of the town remains very rough.

I remember going down to the boardwalk to see Mickey Rourke filming something or other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey