Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 09:54 AM

19,199 posts, read 25,465,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
I mean, it's $9 from uptown Hoboken, a ride of about 5 minutes directly across the Hudson River. And people happily pay it to avoid the clown show that the Port Authority is, or waiting underground on the PATH. From my vantage point, $13 seems like a steal given how far it is. I wouldn't pay the non-resident fare, but don't think there's a ton of New Yorkers hoping to visit Elizabeth and this seems designed for residents.

Has anyone priced out the cost of boat fuel lately? This is what public transit looks like without subsidies...
+1
Additionally, our rebellious friend is confusing facts with opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 10:16 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,202,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
and the schedule is horrible too
only departs NJ:
6:20am
8:20am
12:20pm
3:20pm
5:20pm

only departs NY:
7:30am
9:30am
1:30pm
4:30pm
6:30pm
That schedule makes me wonder if there is only one ferry that goes back and forth btwn NJ and NY. Unless there is more frequency in rush hours, this schedule makes absolutely no sense. Can't imagine one missing the ferry by seconds due to traffic congestion, or a last minute chore, and then having to wait for 2 hours for the next boat.

Old 08-31-2022, 09:31 AM

1,169 posts, read 882,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
That schedule makes me wonder if there is only one ferry that goes back and forth btwn NJ and NY. Unless there is more frequency in rush hours, this schedule makes absolutely no sense. Can't imagine one missing the ferry by seconds due to traffic congestion, or a last minute chore, and then having to wait for 2 hours for the next boat.
Another reason why I don't think they will last (that's if they even get started in the first place). I am sorry, but if trains from Elizabeth run as often as they do currently at HALF THE PRICE this ferry will cost, I see no point to this ferry. The cost to take the train one way to NYC from Elizabeth is $7.25

Old 08-31-2022, 11:02 AM

51,222 posts, read 36,895,969 times
Quote:
That was the same problem they have/had with the Atlantic City Rail line. When it first opened, I actually work in Atlantic City and lived in Marlton, and I would’ve loved to take the train but I would’ve had to choose between getting there 45 minutes early or 10 minutes late.

Old 09-01-2022, 10:05 PM

3,923 posts, read 9,154,436 times
Quote:
According to the link, there's two physical ferries (in their words "With two fast ferries with capacity of up to 122 and 149 passengers, running on biofuel, our mission is to offer a clean and green, safe and sustainable service.") but that schedule definitely looks like just one ferry going back and forth at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Another reason why I don't think they will last (that's if they even get started in the first place). I am sorry, but if trains from Elizabeth run as often as they do currently at HALF THE PRICE this ferry will cost, I see no point to this ferry. The cost to take the train one way to NYC from Elizabeth is $7.25
From an actual transportation perspective, it makes sense to have a ferry in the area (You have to take the bus to reach the Elizabeth train station, and then you have to transfer in Newark if you want Lower Manhattan). But I agree, unless the price is decreased significantly, I don't see it being successful. If the neighborhood was full of wealthy bankers working stock market hours, it would be one thing, but at that point, they might as well move to an area near that Atlantic Highlands ferry and get an actual suburban neighborhood.

For what it's worth, a 40 trip ticket for a Union County resident is $509, which works out to $12.72 per ticket. For somebody in a very particular situation it may work out (a higher-paid hybrid worker who happens to live in Elizabethport and has a schedule that works perfectly around the ferry schedule), but for everybody else it doesn't make sense. From pretty much anywhere else in Union County (or NJ for that matter), you're pretty much passing by train stations on the way to the ferry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey