Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,575 times

Advertisements

What are some reasons why I should move back, although not immediately but in 2-3 years from now?
I just want to make sure that this is not homesick me that wants to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 05:34 PM

445 posts, read 318,429 times
Where in NJ did you move from? What do you miss about it? Probably easier to know what stage in life you are at too and if you have kids. There's a lot of pros and lots of cons depending on one's outlook. Personally, the furthest I've ever lived from our state is Philadelphia so I never ventured too far.

Old 01-19-2023, 07:53 PM

5,136 posts, read 3,752,400 times
Two words. Bagels.

Old 01-19-2023, 08:56 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,100,265 times
You need reasons to move back? Fewer rednecks, better pizza, better healthcare, better shopping.

Old 01-19-2023, 11:19 PM

10,438 posts, read 6,969,439 times
You will be fine once you get over your bagel and wawa cravings. Your bank account will look better also.

Old 01-20-2023, 06:29 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,015,731 times
I would wait it out and reassess in a few years before returning. NJ seems to be changing and not for the better. Crime is increasing and our towns are not as safe as they used to be. Cars are constantly being stolen and broken into. Car jackings in Northern Bergen County. Shootings in towns like Waldwick, Hasbrouck Heights and Fair Lawn. It’s nuts!

Taxes are way too high here to deal with that mess.

Old 01-20-2023, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
You need reasons to move back? Fewer rednecks, better pizza, better healthcare, better shopping.
Stereotypical much? IDK where in NC the OP lives, but there are areas in the Charlotte area (Ballantyne, Weddington, Matthews, etc.) and Raleigh (Cary, Apex) that rival, if not surpass, what you would find in NJ. I have a ton of friends/acquaintances in those areas who all say they would never come back here.

Plus, there are so many NJ/NY transplants, I’m sure good pizza has found it’s way down there by now.

Old 01-20-2023, 06:54 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
NJ seems to be changing and not for the better. Crime is increasing and our towns are not as safe as they used to be. Cars are constantly being stolen and broken into. Car jackings in Northern Bergen County. Shootings in towns like Waldwick, Hasbrouck Heights and Fair Lawn. It’s nuts!
A comparison of NJ crime rates with NC crime rates clearly shows a MUCH higher incidence of both violent and non-violent crimes in NC--and that includes the motor vehicle thefts that you specifically referenced:

https://www.nextburb.com/us/compare-...a/crime-rates/

Old 01-20-2023, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
A comparison of NJ crime rates with NC crime rates clearly shows a MUCH higher incidence of both violent and non-violent crimes in NC--and that includes the motor vehicle thefts that you specifically referenced:

https://www.nextburb.com/us/compare-...a/crime-rates/
As of right now, yes. Who is to say the gap won’t get smaller with time, as it seems to be heading. Which is precisely why I suggested the OP tough it out and reassess things in a few years.

Old 01-20-2023, 07:50 AM

10,438 posts, read 6,969,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Stereotypical much? IDK where in NC the OP lives, but there are areas in the Charlotte area (Ballantyne, Weddington, Matthews, etc.) and Raleigh (Cary, Apex) that rival, if not surpass, what you would find in NJ. I have a ton of friends/acquaintances in those areas who all say they would never come back here.

Plus, there are so many NJ/NY transplants, I’m sure good pizza has found it’s way down there by now.
Agree with this comment. I personally know ~30 people who have left NJ to NC, and it might be second most relocated state from NJ next to FL. All these people say they will never move back.

I get a chance to go to Charlotte a few times a year for, and while I'm not in love with City when I do arrive back to NJ and think to myself, it was a lot nicer down there. NC has a lot more to offer than NJ, a lot of new jobs and companies are moving there, single family home developments are being built (unlike NJ), its clean, its affordable, less red tape from the government.

Last time I was down there, I was visiting some friends who had moved about 20 minutes outside of Charlotte (across the border into SC) and the entire town was under construction. Literally the post-office for the town was like 75% of the way through construction. The downtown had just started construction, planned neighborhoods with single family homes that had parks, recreation and even restaurants insides the development. It was just really something cool to see something in the very early stages of growth and development.

The one thing I really don't like about the Charlotte area is the amount breweries there. They are literally everywhere, and its the thing/place to go to be social and to eat. Breweries get old very quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey