Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 08:33 AM

131 posts, read 137,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post

The best place to be this time of year locally are the Poconos, the cold weather feels much warmer up there. Lots of things to do up there.
We've been to the Poconos 3 times already so I wanted to try something different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2024, 08:38 AM

10,876 posts, read 4,546,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peoj View Post
I don't like crowds. I'm happy staying home playing games. My daughter however enjoys these trips and school has a 4 day break this weekend.

I take it this is a dumb time to go?

well the boardwalk in wildwood is its own 'food group', but this time of the year, nearly ALL of it is closed.

My wife is from a wealthier part of MD and of course went to OC Md (not NJ) but when in jersey stayed in cape may, me, being a poor pittsburgh boy spent my 'breaks' on the wildwood boardwalk. take her warmer so she can do some of the stuff there. 7 mile is a nicer beach, but its hanging off the tips of million dollar homes and this time of the year, security is gonna look at anyone sideways.

we will be in cape may at an rv resort we like, in july. we always hit the blah blah blah cape may beach and downtown washington square, then love the drive thru 2 mile landing and the restaurant there, then zip thru the crest on the way to wildwood.

In avalon and stone harbor (the towns along 7 mile) everything is more upscale for buying and dining, in wildwood, not so much all the goods on the boardwalk are junk lol. If you want t shirt, try 'great white' in washington square cape may or the cape may outlets and look for brand 'comfort colors' they are made from. BUT, I dont know if ANY of this is open in the dead of winter.

ps: one of the mods here is a resident, be nice and she might exchange local tips and color.

Old 02-15-2024, 09:02 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,448,002 times
Quote:
We've been to the Poconos 3 times already so I wanted to try something different.
We live in the Poconos and went to North Cape May last year in March to an AirBNB. We had a good time but it was really chilly and the boardwalk is just about all closed up. I think the Douglas Fudge Shop was the only boardwalk business we went into, that's how chilly it was. We did not walk up and down to see what else was open. Lots of restaurants were closed, too, including ones that the internet said were open!

We are going back to the same AirBNB this year but in April. There is a lot to do even in the off season, if you set your expectations properly ahead of time.

Old 02-15-2024, 10:35 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
I don't know how you have never been to the Jersey Shore, it's like living in Orlando and never being to Disney. Don't think either Wildwood or "seven mile" would be on my bucket list for visiting the Jersey Shore the first time. It's going to be dead, meaning 99% closed.

I'd probably go see a bird sanctuary or do some hiking, as the environment is going to drastically change after wind turbines are built.
Lot's of things are open in Ocean City. Probably the only town where stores on the boardwalk open in winter (not all, but plenty, enough to have fun, get food, play skeeball, etc). And there are a couple of indoor mini-golf courses on the boardwalk, too.

Old 02-16-2024, 06:43 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
If I were going to visit the Jersey shore. I'd go to Margate and spend the night in Lucy the Elephant. We took a tour of her once on vacation and I always thought it would be cool to spend the night there. She's recently been refurbished too!

Old 02-16-2024, 11:39 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
If I were going to visit the Jersey shore. I'd go to Margate and spend the night in Lucy the Elephant. We took a tour of her once on vacation and I always thought it would be cool to spend the night there. She's recently been refurbished too!
They do once in a while special events where you can spend the night, but they are few and far between and can be very $$$$ (see below). They do group overnights, for boy scout troops, etc. But there are no beds, you have to bring sleeping bags, and there is no bathroom (bathroom is across the street) and no place to bathe. Right now the only overnights listed on her website are the kid's group overnights.

"If you have always wanted to stay overnight in Lucy the Elephant in New Jersey, now is your chance.

The Save Lucy Committee and Airbnb are offering a one-night stay in her on Feb. 14 for Valentine’s Day.

But, it will cost you - $6,500."

https://www.pennlive.com/life/2021/0...heres-how.html

https://lucytheelephant.org/group-overnights/

Old 02-16-2024, 02:34 PM

131 posts, read 137,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post

My wife is from a wealthier part of MD and of course went to OC Md (not NJ) but when in jersey stayed in cape may, me, being a poor pittsburgh boy spent my 'breaks' on the wildwood boardwalk
Ocean City, MD is another place we would like to visit one of these days. What's a good time of year to go there where it won't be too crowded?

Old 02-16-2024, 03:43 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,010,515 times
Quote:
Ocean City, MD is another place we would like to visit one of these days. What's a good time of year to go there where it won't be too crowded?
The best of year for the shore without people is September. Water temperatures are at their peaks for the summer, and the crowds disappear because back to school.

Old 02-16-2024, 06:59 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,671,957 times
Quote:
The best of year for the shore without people is September. Water temperatures are at their peaks for the summer, and the crowds disappear because back to school.
Not a secret anymore still plenty of crowds in September.

Old 02-16-2024, 07:20 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,262,034 times
Another vote for Ocean City, NJ. On the weekends, a fair number of businesses are open and the boardwalk is fun to walk. 'cept it's supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow. :O
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey