Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2024, 07:05 AM

6 posts, read 12,114 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling with my elderly mother from Columbus, Ohio to Lehigh Valley International Airport and will need transportation to Lake Mohawk/Sparta, New Jersey.

What is the most efficient option? I am very hestitant to rent a car because I'm unfamiliar with the traffic in that area.

Other options are to drive from Cleveland, Ohio to Sparta/Lake Mohawk, NJ. Has anyone ever done this drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 09:02 AM

5,135 posts, read 3,747,404 times
You'll age ten years driving across Pennsylvania.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:46 AM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
So you're worried about renting a car because of traffic but willing to drive the whole route?

Traffic I guess is considered normal for that route, use to drive that way sometimes for work meetings, and return back to my office the same day.

The only other option if you don't want to drive is Uber.

Old 03-11-2024, 11:02 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmom94 View Post
I will be traveling with my elderly mother from Columbus, Ohio to Lehigh Valley International Airport and will need transportation to Lake Mohawk/Sparta, New Jersey.

What is the most efficient option? I am very hestitant to rent a car because I'm unfamiliar with the traffic in that area.

Other options are to drive from Cleveland, Ohio to Sparta/Lake Mohawk, NJ. Has anyone ever done this drive?
According to Google Maps that drive is an hour and 20 minutes.

I guess I am unclear about what concerns you about the traffic. You are driving to one of the places with the LEAST amount traffic in New Jersey by going to Sussex County, lol, so is it the US-22 or Route 80 traffic on the way that gives you hesitation? I know that some people do not like Interstates; I am the opposite, where I would choose the speed and movement 80 over the likely stop-and-start and traffic lights of 22, although that's an assumption based on the rest of 22 because I've never driven that part of it. I have a friend who won't drive on big highways, though, so I understand some people would rather take the crawling route and feel safer with that.

Given that, I am not really seeing how driving from Cleveland to Lake Mohawk would give you more comfort than the far shorter trips from the airport to Lake Mohawk. Wouldn't Cleveland also take Route 80?

FTR, I am sitting in Pittsburgh typing this. I regularly take the run across PA via the Penna Turnpike to the Jersey shore area where I actually live, and i don't mind the drive at all, but you would likely be taking the more northern route from northern Ohio to northern NJ, and I haven't done that one.

Unless you love long-distance driving, which it sounds like you don't, why not opt for the flight plus the short hop to Lake Mohawk? Again, don't know about the PA part, but it's a nice part of Jersey, especially in the springtime.

Old 03-13-2024, 07:54 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Why not fly into Newark where there are plenty of Ubers, depending on time of day about $90 from Newark to Sparta? Not sure about Uber from Lehigh. Your best bet is probably to rent a car

Old 03-13-2024, 08:53 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Why not fly into Newark where there are plenty of Ubers, depending on time of day about $90 from Newark to Sparta? Not sure about Uber from Lehigh. Your best bet is probably to rent a car

I agree. Getting from the ABE airport to Sparta you must travel an indirect route through backwoods areas of PA or NJ. Lots of traffic on 2 lane roads and there's a good chance that you may get lost. From Newark Airport, take the free "Airtrain" to station P3 rental car area. The rental car company may print out directions for you. If not, from the airport, get on I-78 going west to NJ 24 to I-287 north to I-80 west to NJ 15. This route will take you right into Sparta. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2024, 05:34 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Good thought.

Old 03-14-2024, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
So you're worried about renting a car because of traffic but willing to drive the whole route?

Traffic I guess is considered normal for that route, use to drive that way sometimes for work meetings, and return back to my office the same day.

The only other option if you don't want to drive is Uber.
Of which she may have a hard time finding an Uber at Lehigh wanting to make the drive to Sparta NJ

Old 03-14-2024, 10:49 AM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
Of which she may have a hard time finding an Uber at Lehigh wanting to make the drive to Sparta NJ
That could be the case, but i'm sure one will eventually take the trip. Never flown out of Lehigh, but i'm sure there are cheaper and more affordable flights into Newark which is a quick (fairly easy) 45 minute drive to Sparta.

Old 03-15-2024, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
That could be the case, but i'm sure one will eventually take the trip. Never flown out of Lehigh, but i'm sure there are cheaper and more affordable flights into Newark which is a quick (fairly easy) 45 minute drive to Sparta.
I've never either, most people I know that have used Lehigh are flying on the budget carrier Allegiant which I would not fly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey