Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 02:20 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,651 times

Advertisements

Travelling on the GSP coming from Cranwford, I saw several deers that appear to be contemplating whether to cross the parkway. What I found astonished is that they were in a strip of woods, and I could see houses at the other side of the strip. That means that there were not enough woods between them and the parkway. Also, have seen them off Route 27, by Edison, near the Revlon Factory. This is very sad, because it means, they have no place to go anymore, if one can see them in congested areas! I know this is not going to make me very popular, but NJ should have a moratorioum on the building industry, like Southern California did several years' ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 02:57 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
There have been deer in Upper Montclair center several times. One ran through a store front just recently. In essex county (South Mtn Reservation) there was recently a hunt to control the population. IIRC, about 200 deer were killed. Venison donated.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:59 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,371 times
Agreed! I've seen them in the woods (few trees) on GSP N exit 135. I have also seen them very close to rt. 27 in the woods on James St. across the street from JFK hospital. I wonder where they are supposed to or will go when all the land is taken by strip malls, condos and mcmansions... very sad.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:13 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
Actually, deer population growth is rather massive, and the wildlife authorities have been poorly handling the rising deer population. So really, the opposite is in order - we need better control over the deer population.

Deer eating away at forests nationwide - Environment - MSNBC.com

Old 07-05-2008, 05:14 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Actually, deer population growth is rather massive, and the wildlife authorities have been poorly handling the rising deer population. So really, the opposite is in order - we need better control over the deer population.

Yes, I agree with you. If they eat everything.........as the article suggests, how about the states/government investing in foods, with birth control amenities, so that they will stop proliferating?

Old 07-05-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Yes, I agree with you. If they eat everything.........as the article suggests, how about the states/government investing in foods, with birth control amenities, so that they will stop proliferating?
How about increasing hunting allowance, including additional does (as in female deer) as long as a portion of the 2nd doe (or greater, dependent upon population) is donated to feed the homeless?

Old 07-05-2008, 05:34 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
[quote=CuCullin;4345905]Actually, deer population growth is rather massive, and the wildlife authorities have been poorly handling the rising deer population. So really, the opposite is in order - we need better control over the deer population.

I'm sure it has to do with the extremely mild winters that we have been having. Sad but part of life - they use to starve to death in the winter. I'm not a huge believer in hunting but I'd rather that than see them starve or getting hit by cars - I like your idea about feeding the homeless with the meat. By me, if you see a dead deer on the side of the road, you can call the wolf santuary people and they will come and pick it up..use the meat to feed the wolves. alot of folk out here carry red cones so that they can mark the location for the wolf people.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I'm sure it has to do with the extremely mild winters that we have been having. Sad but part of life - they use to starve to death in the winter. I'm not a huge believer in hunting but I'd rather that than see them starve or getting hit by cars - I like your idea about feeding the homeless with the meat. By me, if you see a dead deer on the side of the road, you can call the wolf santuary people and they will come and pick it up..use the meat to feed the wolves. alot of folk out here carry red cones so that they can mark the location for the wolf people.
Thats a part of it, but the bigger picture is that deer do not mate for life - one buck will plug a row of does, and out pops an exponentially increasing family.

I'm ok with hunting as long as the meat gets eaten; and it would be helpful to the economy in a small part, as game hunting would have a few extra buyer's, buthers could become "donation centers" and donate their time as a tax write-off (benefitting their business), with some tasty venison being a healthy charitable meal for those in need. Works all around

Old 07-05-2008, 05:42 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Thats a part of it, but the bigger picture is that deer do not mate for life - one buck will plug a row of does, and out pops an exponentially increasing family.

I'm ok with hunting as long as the meat gets eaten; and it would be helpful to the economy in a small part, as game hunting would have a few extra buyer's, buthers could become "donation centers" and donate their time as a tax write-off (benefitting their business), with some tasty venison being a healthy charitable meal for those in need. Works all around

Anything would suit me as long as I didn't have to see them laying on the side of the road dead or worse..dying! I'm a bit hypersensitive when it comes to animals being hurt/wounded

Old 07-05-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Anything would suit me as long as I didn't have to see them laying on the side of the road dead or worse..dying! I'm a bit hypersensitive when it comes to animals being hurt/wounded
I always think "Damn, good yumminess wasted"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey