Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 8,392 times

Advertisements

i am looking to transfer to linden what should i expect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2006, 04:04 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
lots of traffic but many convienences, close to the city

Old 03-19-2008, 07:24 PM

67 posts, read 469,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
lots of traffic but many conveniences, close to the city
Hi Rapture,

I am relocating to Jersey...to find work in Manhattan and eventually finding an apt in NY or Queens...how is Linden, safe wise, close to NY...is it an all around decent area...any feedback would be greatly appreciated....

Old 03-20-2008, 07:52 AM

12 posts, read 65,610 times
Default Linden

Linden is a blue collar type of town. Many conveniences with access to the Turnpike, Route 1&9, and the parkway. Nice homes for the most part and train service to NYC. It is not a "glitzy" type of town by any means. Sunnyside and the High School Section of Linden are the nicest areas. I would advise staying away from 1&9 and any part of Linden that is on the Roselle side of Wood Avenue. Schools are decent if you have children. All in all it is one of those what you see is what you get kind of towns. It is a good alternative to the more expensive towns in Union County.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crpat View Post
Linden is a blue collar type of town. Many conveniences with access to the Turnpike, Route 1&9, and the parkway. Nice homes for the most part and train service to NYC. It is not a "glitzy" type of town by any means. Sunnyside and the High School Section of Linden are the nicest areas. I would advise staying away from 1&9 and any part of Linden that is on the Roselle side of Wood Avenue. Schools are decent if you have children. All in all it is one of those what you see is what you get kind of towns. It is a good alternative to the more expensive towns in Union County.
Thanks for your response. It's more a stopping off point for me. I'll only be there in a roommate situation for about 6 months to a year tops. I'm trying to get myself situated so i can go on interviews in NY and eventually live in probably Astoria Queens. I'm relocating from Florida and found this cheap place to rent, but was unfamiliar with the area and wanted to make sure it's a safe place to rent. I was told its a close train ride into NY, which is good...so i'm happy about that. As far as what the exact location is I'm not sure...u mention to stay away from the Roselle side of Linden...i honestly won't know more until 2nite after i speak with the lady again regarding location, but if it is close to that area...i mean am i gonna have to worry about getting shot or something, or what do you mean stay away from it?

Old 03-20-2008, 01:56 PM

714 posts, read 722,314 times
I would not plan to settle in Linden. I lived there for 6 years, over near the airport and tank farms, within view of the flare stacks from the Exxon refinery. 3-4 cases of cancer in long-term residents right on our one-block street. Air quality is terrible.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
I would not plan to settle in Linden. I lived there for 6 years, over near the airport and tank farms, within view of the flare stacks from the Exxon refinery. 3-4 cases of cancer in long-term residents right on our one-block street. Air quality is terrible.
no, just for short term about 6 months. Isn't that okay...i'm not gonna die there....just to get myself situated w/work and so i can get an apt. in NY.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:32 AM

16 posts, read 69,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just wondering View Post
Hi Rapture,

I am relocating to Jersey...to find work in Manhattan and eventually finding an apt in NY or Queens...how is Linden, safe wise, close to NY...is it an all around decent area...any feedback would be greatly appreciated....
please listen to what I'm about to tell you, DO NOT MOVE TO LINDEN

Been there, done that

The realtor drove around Roselle so my husband and I didn't know how close we lived to a bad area until about a week after buying the house. We felt cheated, I wish I knew about city data before I bought the house.

It's a scary place to live, I lived in Sunyside the best area of linden, but you don't live in your house 24 hours a day. The schools are horrible!! Low income housing everywhere, so unless you are a single man, living alone DO NOT MOVE TO LINDEN!!!

Old 03-21-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVEAWAYFAST!!! View Post
please listen to what I'm about to tell you, DO NOT MOVE TO LINDEN

Been there, done that

The realtor drove around Roselle so my husband and I didn't know how close we lived to a bad area until about a week after buying the house. We felt cheated, I wish I knew about city data before I bought the house.

It's a scary place to live, I lived in Sunyside the best area of linden, but you don't live in your house 24 hours a day. The schools are horrible!! Low income housing everywhere, so unless you are a single man, living alone DO NOT MOVE TO LINDEN!!!
not even for a 6-month stay ONLY...just until i get work and then I'll move. I def don't plan on staying in Jersey at all. The house is bn rented out by a lady and she has a 22 yr old son, but i have my own entrance to the house and the rent is cheap....is it that bad, even for a temporary stay, I'm not looking to enroll kids in school, i don't have kids, i'm a newly single 34 yr old woman...looking to better myself and eventually stay in NY after i find work.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:10 PM

16 posts, read 69,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just wondering View Post
not even for a 6-month stay ONLY...just until i get work and then I'll move. I def don't plan on staying in Jersey at all. The house is bn rented out by a lady and she has a 22 yr old son, but i have my own entrance to the house and the rent is cheap....is it that bad, even for a temporary stay, I'm not looking to enroll kids in school, i don't have kids, i'm a newly single 34 yr old woman...looking to better myself and eventually stay in NY after i find work.
just wondering, you will be living VERY close to Roselle, which is very HIGH crime. Crack alley in Roselle is only cross the street from the best part of linden, Sunyside,

The crime in that town is scary.

Of course the rent is cheap, it's cheap in all the bad areas.

Don't take a chance,

you can find a good apartment for cheap in Sunset Park brooklyn, or even Queens.

OMG you're a woman, DO NOT DO IT!!!

PS I'm a woman and I was afriad for my life days when I worked late,......I wish you lots of luck though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey