Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 12:59 PM

3 posts, read 40,504 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]My husband and I have been going to open houses recently, as we're interested in buying our first home sometime in the next six months. We are always asked to sign in (which we do), and we're always asked if we're currently working with a realtor (the answer is no). The agent showing the house then invariably asks if s/he can send us listings of other houses in the area (to which we respond yes). (I've read other posts and am aware of the risks of a possible dual agency.)

The upshot is that now I am in email communication with several realtors who periodically send me listings. We have yet to take any of them up on their offer to "show" us a house, primarily b/c we haven't seen anything we love. In addition, we haven't met any realtors that we feel like we'd want to work with exclusively.

I understand that a lot of these realtors are probably trying to drum up business and recruit new clients, but my question is, by allowing them to send me listings, is there an implicit understanding that they are now "representing" me?

Also, is it bad form to be communicating with several agents at once, even if it's just via email? Should I allow them to continue sending me listings, even if we have no intention of working with them?

I check the MLS site quite frequently, so I have a good idea of what's available in our area, but I appreciate knowing the additional information that's only found in the spec sheets.

Please remember that we are newbies to the homebuying process, so forgive us if these questions seem ignorant! Thanks!
[/SIZE]

Old 07-18-2008, 01:14 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieBuyer View Post
I understand that a lot of these realtors are probably trying to drum up business and recruit new clients, but my question is, by allowing them to send me listings, is there an implicit understanding that they are now "representing" me?

Also, is it bad form to be communicating with several agents at once, even if it's just via email? Should I allow them to continue sending me listings, even if we have no intention of working with them?
If they're just emailing you listings, I don't think they should get the feeling that they're representing you. At the point that you start visiting listings though, you really should stick with one agent that you feel comfortable with- out of common courtesy if nothing else. Now, if you're looking in multiple areas and can't find an agent who is familiar with all of the areas, I'd say working with different agents would be expected. Many agents will tell you "sure, I can show you listings there", but you don't want an agent who's just "showing you listings"- you want someone who knows the area, understands that particular market, and can find you the right house.

When my mother sold her house in Woodbridge, the listing agent kept hounding her about where she was looking to move. When she told her that she was looking at retirement communities in Toms River (an hour away and totally out of the agent's area of expertise), the agent's response was "well, let me know when you're ready to start looking- I can go down and look around with you". Yeah, that's what we needed- an agent who was totally clueless on the area and the product. Mom went with a local agent who worked exclusively in (and lived in) the area she was looking at, and it worked perfectly.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 40,504 times
Thanks for the reply.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:06 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
The realtors are probably sending you the listing with the hope that you'll sign on with them to be your Buyer's Agent.
If you do decide on this, they will have to have you sign a contract with them, with an end date. They ethically have to tell you about what the contract is, what their fiduciary responsibility is to you, etc.
There is no "implied contract" by them just sending you info.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:47 PM

8 posts, read 18,166 times
Default Hello Newbie Buyer

To answer your question, no its fine to start with a few realtors. I would say once you are serious about starting your search to pick your favorite one. If there are none that appeal to you that you have met, look on the web for some agents that work in the area that you are looking. You want a nice, honest realtor that will not pressure you and has your best interest at heart. Most realtors work very hard and if you are working with several realtors at once you are wasting the time of the ones that you do not intend to use. They work on commission only.

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-19-2008 at 05:48 AM..

Old 07-19-2008, 06:43 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieBuyer View Post
My husband and I have been going to open houses recently, as we're interested in buying our first home sometime in the next six months. We are always asked to sign in (which we do), and we're always asked if we're currently working with a realtor (the answer is no). The agent showing the house then invariably asks if s/he can send us listings of other houses in the area (to which we respond yes). (I've read other posts and am aware of the risks of a possible dual agency.)

The upshot is that now I am in email communication with several realtors who periodically send me listings. We have yet to take any of them up on their offer to "show" us a house, primarily b/c we haven't seen anything we love. In addition, we haven't met any realtors that we feel like we'd want to work with exclusively.

I check the MLS site quite frequently, so I have a good idea of what's available in our area, but I appreciate knowing the additional information that's only found in the spec sheets.

Please remember that we are newbies to the homebuying process, so forgive us if these questions seem ignorant! Thanks!
When you say they are sending you listings, do you mean actual MLS links or do you get saved searches/matches in your inbox? There is a difference.

I actually think that having a few will be to your advantage when you're ready to buy. If you communicate with them, email/phone, it will allow you to see if they get back to you in a timely fashion. At some point, you might realize an agent isn't for you, let them know you've changed your mind or what ever so they don't waste any more time.

I used to use a few sites when I was buying:
I would go to yahoo.com, then click on real estate, it takes you here. From there look for Find a REALTOR®. Fill in the info, you will get agents that give you info, and you can read feedback from customers. If you have no clue where to start, at least this give you something with customer feedback.

real estate sites I used
Realtor.com main search - click advanced search to get more options
Caldwell Banker
Century 21
ReMax NJ
Prudential Fox & Roach
Exit Realty Cherry Hill
Exit Reality main site (broken link)
Weichert
NJ MLS
Yahoo Real estate - even though it is Prudential, you still need to sign up independantly. You can check foreclosures there also. It's a pretty decent list. You can also find an agent through their Home Gain.
NJ Real Estate.com
Garden State MLS

Old 07-19-2008, 06:50 AM

132 posts, read 410,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
When you say they are sending you listings, do you mean actual MLS links or do you get saved searches/matches in your inbox? There is a difference.

I actually think that having a few will be to your advantage when you're ready to buy. If you communicate with them, email/phone, it will allow you to see if they get back to you in a timely fashion. At some point, you might realize an agent isn't for you, let them know you've changed your mind or what ever so they don't waste any more time.

I used to use a few sites when I was buying:
I would go to yahoo.com, then click on real estate, it takes you here. From there look for Find a REALTOR®. Fill in the info, you will get agents that give you info, and you can read feedback from customers. If you have no clue where to start, at least this give you something with customer feedback.

real estate sites I used
Realtor.com main search - click advanced search to get more options
Caldwell Banker
Century 21
ReMax NJ
Prudential Fox & Roach
Exit Realty Cherry Hill
Exit Reality main site (broken link)</p><p>Weichert (broken link)
NJ MLS
Yahoo Real estate - even though it is Prudential, you still need to sign up independantly. You can check foreclosures there also. It's a pretty decent list. You can also find an agent through their Home Gain.
NJ Real Estate.com
Garden State MLS

Why don't you just go to one of these sites and obtain and contact the actual LISTING AGENT? You could get a better deal on the house if you do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey