Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,200 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I have two more years before I finish my undergrad studies here on the West Coast. For the purposes of this thread, I'm 21 and am pursuing a career in music performance. I'm looking live (rent) in the vicinity of Greenwich Village/Manhattan, but do not have the to money to live there. I've heard a lot about North Eastern New Jersey, and have been reading up on Hoboken and Jersey City.

'Personality' wise -- the loud, partying 20-something crowd is not my thing. Ideally, I'd like to reside somewhere that is reasonably quiet, and is in short distance to GV/Manhattan.

If not in Hoboken, what town(s) nearby offer a reasonably quiet atmosphere, affordable rent (if that means anything nowadays), and low crime rate... but also has opportunities for musicians?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 04:38 PM

792 posts, read 3,137,768 times
Possibly Bayonne. In Bayonne take Light Rail to the PATH or ferry in JC or HOB to cross into NYC. I think Bayonne has some crime, lower rents relative to JC/HOB, a trickle of some young, educated folk looking at it as alt. to JC/HOB. I am not trying to oversell Bayonne but it could be an option.

If I was in your shoes do Hoboken!!! Bite the bullet and just party!!!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:53 AM

141 posts, read 383,153 times
How much money do you have to work with, in terms of rent, etc.? Hoboken is apparently a very attractive spot for people in their twenties but it's also very expensive and I've heard somewhat yuppified. I'm about to move to downtown Jersey City, which is less expensive and less yuppie, and apparently people say it's on the quiet side there, at least compared to much of NYC and even Hoboken. But still--anywhere in the NYC area is not going to be cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey