Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 03:44 PM

112 posts, read 352,195 times

Advertisements

HI

We are quite possibly moving to NJ within the next year. My DH works for a company whose headquarters are in the Iselin area.

We have two daughters - 15 and 3 1/2. Is Iselin or Woodbridge Twp okay places? How are the schools? How do I truly find out about the schools?

Saw some other threads mention Cranford and I have heard some good things about Oradell, but not sure of the drive.

I am also wondering if living in NY would be better financially? Do people actually live in NY and work in NJ (as well as the reverse)? I am originally from TX so the state income tax and all has me slightly freaked - although living in uber tax UK should relax me for it!

Thanks in advance for all your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 03:54 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
The schools in Iselin and Woodbridge (Iselin is actually a part of Woodbridge Township) are pretty good, but the areas are hit or miss. Iselin itself has a heavy Indian population, so unless you're prepared to practically be a minority, you may want to look elsewhere (we lived there from 99-2007, so I know firsthand). Woodbridge proper has some nice areas, but alot will depend on your price range- what are you thinking you'd want to spend on a house?

Old 08-10-2008, 04:05 PM

Thanks for your quick response!

We are not sure of how much to spend! I know that sounds really daft, but I suppose I am wishing it was like TX prices! Ideally, it would be below 450K. We are looking for a 4 bedroom if possible. Single family home.

Thank you for the info on the schools and such.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:54 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,672 times
I lived in Cranford and worked in Iselin for years. It was a very easy commute. I think it will be hard to find a 4 bedroom house in the central and north Jersey areas. You might find a 3 bedroom for a little more in both Cranford and or Metuchen. Both have a great small hometown feeling.

To see more links from my previous posts on Metuchen, you can do a search. I had put in the chamber of commerce, the ymca...

Old 08-10-2008, 06:34 PM

792 posts, read 3,138,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lplkemc View Post
Saw some other threads mention Cranford and I have heard some good things about Oradell, but not sure of the drive.
Cranford is on the buzz as of late, worth looking into. Oradell's taxes and real estate is HIGH, also not worth the commute IMO. Trying looking at Clark (and maybe Westfield).

Old 08-11-2008, 04:52 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
At $450k, you can consider Woodbridge, Metuchen, Edison, Cranford, Clark, Scotch Plains. All of those towns have good schools and offer an easy commute to Iselin. You're probably in for a rude awakening regarding what you'll get for $450k when compared to Texas, as it won't get you much in those towns (or in central NJ in general).

Old 08-11-2008, 05:18 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
if you are willing to commute a bit further north or northwest you'll get more for your $$$$$. if hub wants a short commute, you've gotten some good suggestions. my friend just purchased a really nice home in cranford for around $450K - really nice place, "desirable" part of town, but it is on the small side (3 bdrms but fully finished basement). she's got 2 kids as well. good luck.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:20 AM

157 posts, read 780,661 times
How far would you be willing to commute?

What type of area would you like: town living, or more rural?

How long do you plan to stay? (will your children attend High school, or is it just elementary that you need to worry about).

There are many areas to consider- if you answer these questions it will narrow it down...

I am thinking: Cranford, Westfield, Scotch plains, mountainside, metuchen (all relatively expensive, town like living, short commute by NJ standards).

Or: Basking Ridge, Readington, Tewkesbury, Clinton (more house and land for your money, longer commute, more rural area).

All of the schools in the above are decent. Check out GreatSchools.net and compare test scores for more detailed info.

Good luck!!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:47 PM

Thanks so much for the responses!

One child will attend high school and the other is pre-k. Not sure how long we would be there. DH has already been with the company 8 years so it could be another year or it could be forever. I suppose that we will just go as the wind blows

I can't decide if we want to be more rural or to have a nice walk into town. I suppose it does not matter. I do wish I could see pics of the town areas of these cities/towns.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:04 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lplkemc View Post
Thanks so much for the responses!

One child will attend high school and the other is pre-k. Not sure how long we would be there. DH has already been with the company 8 years so it could be another year or it could be forever. I suppose that we will just go as the wind blows

I can't decide if we want to be more rural or to have a nice walk into town. I suppose it does not matter. I do wish I could see pics of the town areas of these cities/towns.
There are some pictures of the towns under the city info on city-data. Also, google the names of the towns, you may get lucky and come across some images or their websites. Also, a lot of NJ is now on Google Map, so you can try the street views as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey