Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to New Jersey: find a teaching job, bank owned houses, buying a home, buy homes, new house.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 07:59 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,626,193 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I found this board over a year ago when researching different areas within New Jersey to move to. The people on this board have been incredibly helpful so far and I wanted to ask this of the people who've experienced what my wife and I are going through now.

My wife and I had our first child in Dec. We currently live in a town in Mercer County and I am not happy with the school system here. I have experience teaching in this school and wouldn't want to send my children to school here.

We have to move soon because we are in a home that is too small for us. We would like to have more children soon and are hunting areas to seek out.

Being a teacher and my wife working a job where she makes a similar salary, it would be extremely difficult for us to afford places where there are really great schools, such as Hopewell (which would be ideal for us), West Windsor, Princeton, Montgomery, etc. I have family in Mercer County so don't want to go too far away, but we've ruled out actually living in Mercer County. If I have to choose between family here and bringing my kids somewhere safe with great schools I'll move away.

Anyway, the bottom line is this: my biggest priority is the safety of my children and the schools where they go. The advice I am seeking is two-fold: 1) if we have to live in areas which are not 'ideal', is it enough to be good parents anymore to keep them safe and out of trouble, and 2) does anyone know places in NJ where the schools and communities are very good, and they are affordable on teachers' salary (with a family)?

Thanks to anyone who can help. I know it probably seems like I'm pretty confused, and it's true that I am, there are a lot of things I have to weigh before we move, so the advice of the good people on here is really appreciated now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 08:12 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,672 times
Will you be looking fir a new teaching position or staying where you currently teach? How far north are you willing to go? Do you have an idea of how much you would be able to spend on a home? Will you need daycare as well?

Old 08-24-2008, 08:37 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
same questions for you as tandcookies has asked... alot of teachers live by me because it's affordable and safe and we have decent schools. What would be you price range?
If you're salaries are close..I'd guess you are making close to 100k/yr between you? You could live very comfortable in NW Jersey on that salary plus a few of the schools out here are looking for teachers. We also have some of the best schools. Longvalley (washington twp.) would be a good start for you - excellent school system. Neighboring Hackettstown in Warren County is looking for teachers.

Last edited by wileynj; 08-24-2008 at 08:48 PM..

Old 08-24-2008, 10:56 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,692,119 times
There's a bank-owned house in Cranbury for sale for about 270. Five bedrooms, three baths. I'm guessing for that price point in Cranbury, it needs work.

5 BR, 3 1/2 Bath 2 story (http://cnj.craigslist.org/reb/807854531.html - broken link)

Old 08-24-2008, 10:58 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,692,119 times
BTW, not to be a jerk, but if you just had your first kid, why are you worried about the schools now? They aren't going to set foot in a classroom for at least five years.

I understand wanting the bigger house, but this is not the market to be selling in.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:37 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
BTW, not to be a jerk, but if you just had your first kid, why are you worried about the schools now? They aren't going to set foot in a classroom for at least five years.

I understand wanting the bigger house, but this is not the market to be selling in.
It sounds like he wants to move soon b/c they've outgrown their house.

I'm not sure where in Mercer you live but why don't you check out Burlington County? Princeton to Moorestown is 30 minutes and there are plenty of nice towns with good schools in between.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:06 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,626,193 times
Hi again,

Thanks for the advice so far.

TandCookies, I could stay where I am or relocate to a new school, it doesn't matter that much to me. I've had an itch to try teaching in an urban area, so switching jobs won't bother me too much. We're leaning more toward south than north, but we haven't ruled out anything. We're looking to spend about 300-350K for our next house. I should have mentioned that 4 br + 2 or 2.5 baths is ideal for us. We will need daycare.

WileyNJ, you're right on with the combined salaries (to the dollar). How are taxes up that way?

Sweeptheleg, you're not being a jerk, you're helping me out which is much appreciated (I even appreciate bluntness!). I'm looking now because I don't want to make hasty decisions later. I'd rather do my homework and know where we are going, what the schools are like (for our kids to go to and for me to teach in), where my wife can get another job (which is not as easy for her-I teach science so it's easier for me to transfer), what the taxes are like, etc. I've made hasty/uninformed decisions before and don't want to do so again. Good point about selling in this market, and thanks for the link on the house.

Solibs, can you suggest some really good towns in Burlington County? I have some ideas of my own but would rather hear another opinion.

Thanks for everything so far, and please keep the suggestions coming!!!

Last edited by NJmmadude; 08-25-2008 at 12:16 PM..

Old 08-27-2008, 02:08 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Hi again,

TandCookies, I could stay where I am or relocate to a new school, it doesn't matter that much to me. I've had an itch to try teaching in an urban area, so switching jobs won't bother me too much. We're leaning more toward south than north, but we haven't ruled out anything. We're looking to spend about 300-350K for our next house. I should have mentioned that 4 br + 2 or 2.5 baths is ideal for us. We will need daycare.

WileyNJ, you're right on with the combined salaries (to the dollar). How are taxes up that way?

Sweeptheleg, you're not being a jerk, you're helping me out which is much appreciated (I even appreciate bluntness!). I'm looking now because I don't want to make hasty decisions later. I'd rather do my homework and know where we are going, what the schools are like (for our kids to go to and for me to teach in), where my wife can get another job (which is not as easy for her-I teach science so it's easier for me to transfer), what the taxes are like, etc. I've made hasty/uninformed decisions before and don't want to do so again. Good point about selling in this market, and thanks for the link on the house.

Solibs, can you suggest some really good towns in Burlington County? I have some ideas of my own but would rather hear another opinion.

Come on down by me. That much will get you a brand new house, 4 (possibly 5) bedroom, 2 full baths (master bath is awesome) powder room plus possibly another bathroom in the basement. You can also get a walkout / and/or finished basement. Some houses have libraries, some don't. 2 car garage, we have a 1/2 acre lot.

School is Williamstown, from what I read it's very decent. It wasn't Lenape (if you're familiar with that) but better then a lot of schools I researched.

If you're interested send me a DM. I would want to give you some tips before buying a new house. So far no major problems, we've been here 3 months. We do have a few little things, they have a year to do them. Would I buy here again? yes but I would protect myself a little better.

shopping is awesome btw.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:19 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Hi again,

I have alot of teacher pals . Taxes here can run anywhere from 3000 to 30,000 - depends on what you buy and where. With the salary you mentioned, assuming no debts, you should easily qualify for 350K to 400K mortgage? For you, because you have little ones..I would recommend Long Valley in Washington Twp., Morris County. Or southern parts of Sussex Co. or Warren Co. you could get a nice mcmansion - decent schools. If you could land a teaching job with Blair Academy... that would work out nicely...it's right down the road a piece in Blairstown.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:36 PM

173 posts, read 818,864 times
You've probably considered it since you want to leave Mercer Cty., but I have friends with young kids (pre-school) age that really like Hightstown. I think they are confident enough in the schools as they are, and also hopeful that the schools will improve -- there seem to be a lot of young, high-achieving couples in their neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey