Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:24 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,332,281 times

Advertisements

I definitely agree with Irish Eyes as well. It should be a requirement without a doubt.

And I agree with whomever it was that said wait as long as possible with the gardasil if you have a daughter. To me, I know it's up to us to educate our children, but you do get those dummies who will think getting that shot is a ticket to mess around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 09:42 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,958,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
I definitely agree with Irish Eyes as well. It should be a requirement without a doubt.

And I agree with whomever it was that said wait as long as possible with the gardasil if you have a daughter. To me, I know it's up to us to educate our children, but you do get those dummies who will think getting that shot is a ticket to mess around.
That's not necessarily true. HPV can be obtained from a cheating spouse, or from a spouse who is a carrier from a former relationship. So you want to protect your child from a potentially life threatening disease. Morals and values are taught to children, but safeguard their helath no matter what.

That said, I want to make sure the vaccine is safe before I give it to my child.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:15 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,675,237 times
Quote:
And those would be the same dummies who won't care, shot or not. Thats not a good argument, imho....

But EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPNJ is right, I would personally feel the same if I had a daughter.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
That's not necessarily true. HPV can be obtained from a cheating spouse, or from a spouse who is a carrier from a former relationship. So you want to protect your child from a potentially life threatening disease. Morals and values are taught to children, but safeguard their helath no matter what.

That said, I want to make sure the vaccine is safe before I give it to my child.
I'm not disputing that, I'm very well aware of that. What I'm saying is does an 11 year old really need it? And we were talking about younger kids, not ones with spouses. As a sexually active teen of course, that's a totally different story.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:17 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,123,033 times
As far as I know there is no long term testing on that particular vaccine. The few people I know with teen daughters have been advised by their doctors NOT to give their daughters that shot. Unfortunately many people seem to think you are a religious nut with your head in the sand for NOT wanting your 11 year old to get it.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:59 AM

No one saying she's a religious nut, all I'm saying is even if your daughter remained 150% pure until marriage at age 28 (not likely in today's world, but lets say it happens) Even then she could contract HPV because if her husband was sexually active prior or after their marriage (with another partner) he can pass that on to her.

That's all I was saying.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
No one saying she's a religious nut, all I'm saying is even if your daughter remained 150% pure until marriage at age 28 (not likely in today's world, but lets say it happens) Even then she could contract HPV because if her husband was sexually active prior or after their marriage (with another partner) he can pass that on to her.

That's all I was saying.
Again, you are correct, however I thought this topic was opened discussing vaccinating our children....after 18, it's no longer under our control to force our children to do anything, so at 28, if my children wanted it or not, it's their decision...all I could do is advise. We're talking childhood vaccinations......

And religion should have nothing to do with the effect of a vaccination or the extent to which it is has been tested. My daughter just turned 12, she's not sexually active AND we don't know the long term results of this shot, so maybe by 15, I'll have changed my mind, but at 12, no thank you.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Again, you are correct, however I thought this topic was opened discussing vaccinating our children....after 18, it's no longer under our control to force our children to do anything, so at 28, if my children wanted it or not, it's their decision...all I could do is advise. We're talking childhood vaccinations......

And religion should have nothing to do with the effect of a vaccination or the extent to which it is has been tested. My daughter just turned 12, she's not sexually active AND we don't know the long term results of this shot, so maybe by 15, I'll have changed my mind, but at 12, no thank you.
Oh, I agree. I don't put it past the pharmaceuticals to use our daughters as guinea pigs.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:26 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,123,033 times
Oh, i didn't mean you or anyone here said that. I meant I've heard or read people say exactly that. Not wanting the vaccine has nothing to do with purity for most people I know. Nor do they think "my little girl would never". They do not want them injected because of the vaccine itself and the lack of testing. There's also the question of how long it lasts. Starting at 11 it may lose it's effectiveness just as they go off to college. They don't know.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:42 AM

I want to see some sort of long term studies before anything happens w/ my child too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: