Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:53 PM

4 posts, read 9,143 times

Advertisements

I used to live in NYC and loved the mix of cultures, but did not like the hassles of city life (congestion, parking, air quality etc). There are always pros and cons to every area, but I guess I would like something that is not too extreme in any one direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 02:59 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,984,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Nutley diverse?? Surely you jest! LOL It's about as diverse as Chatham!
Nah, not like Chatham at all! LOL! It's not Montclair or the like, but it has a growing latino population. And smaller but growing Asian Population. Not the MOST diverse by far, but just grasping at straws.

Chaham, on the other hand...I'M white, but I don't think they consider me white enough for them! LOL!

Old 09-03-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Where is it that you are moving from? NYC?

Lack of diversity? What is it that you are seeking or avoiding? Specifics?

What is wrong w/white bread or non-diverseness? Comments?
Not my thing Spincycle. I like there to be some diversity in a community. I like my kids knowing there are all different kinds of people in the world, there are rich, poor, black, white, latin, indian, asian, gay, straight, Jewish, Christian, so on and so forth.... that's the way it is. There is good and bad in all, so I want them to be aware of that.

Chatham is not just all white, it's quite a high ratio of rich, spoiled, snotty white people. LOL And if she is seeking diversity - it's definately not the town for her.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
The general trend is that the quality of schools (in many cases) increases as diversity decreases (and vice versa). There really is no Utopia or even an area comprised of a mixture of all ethnicities. People in NJ as a whole aren't really that 'open minded' despite the democratic strong hold in elections at all levels. People on west coast (e.g. CA) are much more open minded. So for possible communities would you possibly consider Kearny, Lodi, Bergenfield or Hackensack? These are "diverse" to some extent but certainly not open minded IMO.
They are not going to deliver good schools either.

OP: How do you feel about Belleville - thus far?

Old 09-03-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydoc View Post
I used to live in NYC and loved the mix of cultures, but did not like the hassles of city life (congestion, parking, air quality etc). There are always pros and cons to every area, but I guess I would like something that is not too extreme in any one direction.
I'm thinking Montclair, West Orange, maybe Englewood?

Old 09-03-2008, 03:52 PM

4 posts, read 9,143 times
belleville is ok....the part we live in is not the safest (closer to Newark).

Old 09-03-2008, 04:27 PM

42 posts, read 137,544 times
Bloomfield & Montclair are diverse. The north end of Bloomfield is nice and you can find a house in your budget there.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:27 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,834,305 times
You really should check into the north end of Bloomfield. My neighborhood is made up of African Americans, Hispanics, Asians, etc.......Italian, Turkish, Greek, Egyptian, Algerian, Romanian, etc. Very diverse and wonderful neighbors. I'm within walking distance of many things and just minutes from major highways. You can find a really nice house in the $400+ range.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:28 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,826,071 times
Definitely look into Maplewood/SO area for diversity, it is a wonderful community and a fairly easy drive into Manhattan.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra Pimp View Post
Bloomfield & Montclair are diverse. The north end of Bloomfield is nice and you can find a house in your budget there.
I agree, this could be a good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey