Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2007, 11:53 PM

5 posts, read 10,316 times

Advertisements

Hey i am pretty new to this forum i am currently deployed to "the sand box" i will be back in a month or so and i am looking for a job. I am in the IT field and kinda worried that i wont be able to find a job right away when i return dose anyone have anything that would help, websites, places to go check out. i stay in northern NJ. just got a apartment in sunny Newark!!! lol
thanks

-guy from the south-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 08:41 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,200,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit1212 View Post
Hey i am pretty new to this forum i am currently deployed to "the sand box" i will be back in a month or so and i am looking for a job. I am in the IT field and kinda worried that i wont be able to find a job right away when i return dose anyone have anything that would help, websites, places to go check out. i stay in northern NJ. just got a apartment in sunny Newark!!! lol
thanks

-guy from the south-

What exactly is your expertise in IT, are you a college grad and how much experience are we talking?

I'd recommend checking Dice.com or Careerbuilder.com - if you need a list of some great recruiters who could help out in the NNJ area...just pm me and I'll send you their contact info.

Hit me up if you got any ?'s.

Regards
D.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:10 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
Check monster.com and nj.com for job listings, in addition to what is listed above.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:04 PM

What exactly is your expertise in IT, are you a college grad and how much experience are we talking?

I'd recommend checking Dice.com or Careerbuilder.com - if you need a list of some great recruiters who could help out in the NNJ area...just pm me and I'll send you their contact info.

Hit me up if you got any ?'s.

well i never finished college all together i was in the military and was hired by a government contractor based on what i already knew i am a hardware / helpdesk tech right now. i basically do the customer service side of the house along with a lot of network admin. stuff. i really suck at SQL (was never intristed in it) and thats all ppl keep asking me about.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:41 PM

562 posts, read 2,615,569 times
for what i see you prob qualify for a helpdesk position.. or desktop.. you should be able to find many jobs in Dice.com or computerjobs.com.. make sure you have a good resume and assure you show years of experience.. as many jobs would like to see college, most won't care as long as you have the experience.. salary should be about 30-45k..

good luck!!

Old 02-12-2007, 03:44 AM

Thanks that would be awesome to check out!

Old 02-12-2007, 07:14 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
Quote:
well i never finished college all together i was in the military and was hired by a government contractor based on what i already knew i am a hardware / helpdesk tech right now. i basically do the customer service side of the house along with a lot of network admin. stuff. i really suck at SQL (was never intristed in it) and thats all ppl keep asking me about.

I know a few companies that do pharmaceutical support for outside sales reps that are always hiring - check out C3i-Inc and Dendrite. The most you can make with these folks to start is between $37K - $40K. You might also want to check with Prudential to see if they have any open positions but the problems is PRU outsources its support to a 3rd party company so the pay might not be great. Also try hotjobs.com - its a yahoo job portal.

On the other hand if you are interested in working in NY hit me up and I'll give you a few contacts to touch base with.

Network Admin stuff is nice to have but I'd say you should at least have one programming or DBase language under your sleeves as well because it can earn you more $$$$.

SQL is quite easy if you dedicate sometime to learning it all you have to do is check out a few websites with tutorials dl the appz on a box and play around with it for a month or two - the point here is to get a grasp of as many SQL commands as you can and the rest will be history.

If you can do network admin stuff then believe me you can easily do SQL...

Old 02-12-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkorpion View Post
I know a few companies that do pharmaceutical support for outside sales reps that are always hiring - check out C3i-Inc and Dendrite. The most you can make with these folks to start is between $37K - $40K. You might also want to check with Prudential to see if they have any open positions but the problems is PRU outsources its support to a 3rd party company so the pay might not be great. Also try hotjobs.com - its a yahoo job portal.

On the other hand if you are interested in working in NY hit me up and I'll give you a few contacts to touch base with.

Network Admin stuff is nice to have but I'd say you should at least have one programming or DBase language under your sleeves as well because it can earn you more $$$$.

SQL is quite easy if you dedicate sometime to learning it all you have to do is check out a few websites with tutorials dl the appz on a box and play around with it for a month or two - the point here is to get a grasp of as many SQL commands as you can and the rest will be history.

If you can do network admin stuff then believe me you can easily do SQL...

i just talked to a buddy of mine and he says sql is just as easy or easier than most other database admin stuff and he's going to teach me so i think i will have that under my belt for my return as well and thanks for the advice/// i am still tring to learn jersey i know that i stay 10 min exactly from time square and thats kool but i have yet to be in a north east traffic jam too i am kinda excited about that for some strange reason lol thanks guys for all the help

Old 02-13-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
i just talked to a buddy of mine and he says sql is just as easy or easier than most other database admin stuff and he's going to teach me so i think i will have that under my belt for my return as well and thanks for the advice/// i am still tring to learn jersey i know that i stay 10 min exactly from time square and thats kool but i have yet to be in a north east traffic jam too i am kinda excited about that for some strange reason lol thanks guys for all the help

Orbit one other thing I forgot to ask you was if you intend to go back to school that is college or you've given up on that option. Reason am asking is if you think school is a wrap for you - try getting a few worthy certifications like in ITIL, SOX and also look into the Help Desk Institute (HDI) or Brainbench certifications these command high $$$$.

In my opinion, if you can go for the HDI Help Desk manager certification along with an ITIL certification you could be looking at bringing home anything between the $55K to $60K range maybe more with all your experience.

Glad you decided to get into SQL you will definitely see the many doors it will open for you once potential employers see it on your resume.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:57 PM

sweet i do plan on going back to school and i will look into these places too/ but i am still really worried about finding a job that will leave me time for school./ but that will come i think Thanks you have been a tremendous help!! all of you rock and now i really cant wait to get bakk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey