Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 10:44 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times

Advertisements

This is an old thing that was around in 2006/2007, but we had just bought our house and didn't know about any of this. By the time i found out about it, it was no longer valid (for all of 08). now it is back.... it sounds like if you used it before, you cannot use it again,...,

Alliance to Save Energy - Promoting Energy Efficiency World Wide: News: Energy-Efficiency Home and Vehicle Tax Credits

Any thoughts as to where $500 would go the best in a little cape with essentially NO INSULATION!

I hear the attic floor often, but the problem is our furnace is in the attic so we do not want the attic to be freezing. Our attic rafter/walls have some crappy R11/R13.... its supposed to be R50! The rafters/joists are not thick enough for any more. Any thoughts?

$500 isnt much if I have to hire pros, but DIY $500 will buy a bit of material...

One thing I am going to be doing is putting foam insulating gaskets on every single outlet/switch in the house:
http://www.reducemyenergy.com/insulationproducts.htm

One of the things Ive been reading is that its important FIRST to seal, then to insulate...

With no heat in the basement, cold air comes from everywhere, not just outside!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 12:27 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
This is an old thing that was around in 2006/2007, but we had just bought our house and didn't know about any of this. By the time i found out about it, it was no longer valid (for all of 08). now it is back.... it sounds like if you used it before, you cannot use it again,...,

Alliance to Save Energy - Promoting Energy Efficiency World Wide: News: Energy-Efficiency Home and Vehicle Tax Credits

Any thoughts as to where $500 would go the best in a little cape with essentially NO INSULATION!

I hear the attic floor often, but the problem is our furnace is in the attic so we do not want the attic to be freezing. Our attic rafter/walls have some crappy R11/R13.... its supposed to be R50! The rafters/joists are not thick enough for any more. Any thoughts?

$500 isnt much if I have to hire pros, but DIY $500 will buy a bit of material...

One thing I am going to be doing is putting foam insulating gaskets on every single outlet/switch in the house:
Home Energy Solutions - Products

One of the things Ive been reading is that its important FIRST to seal, then to insulate...

With no heat in the basement, cold air comes from everywhere, not just outside!!!
I took advantage of that one already....

Old 11-20-2008, 02:04 PM

821 posts, read 2,038,549 times
Wow - thanks for posting the info - we just bought our house a couple of months ago as well and that will come in handy :-)

Old 08-03-2009, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,310 times
[url=http://www.ReduceMyEnergy.com]Home Energy Solutions - Providing Delmarva with Professional Home Energy Audits, Surveys Energy Efficiency[/url] is definitely the place to buy switch and outlet sealers. I did my entire house for $28! Thanks for the source.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:07 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
The insulation should go on the floor if it isn't finished. The attic is supposed to be cold, unless you're heating it for a reason, then the insulation would go on the attic ceiling.
I took advantage of the credit in 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: