Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:18 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times

Advertisements

I did not miss your sarcasm. I chose to ignore it and make it into a positive remark. :-P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 11:20 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times
Rape victim analogy? You do have lots of time on your hands.

America is getting raped these days but I don't blog or post using howard stern alalogies. I'm not defending any particular state either. I'm just telling it how it was for me. You say you are not American but you know all about Trenton boys? LOL. You have no comment about the Bush boys? As a foreigner I would think you would have some perspective and be very afraid.

There is no way you know anything. Nothing relavatory about your posts. As usual.
It's getting really really old. You are one angry f. It would be funny except for the passive aggressive lameness.

P.S. Your sarcasm is weaker than ever. You need to work on it. It's the hick in you.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:39 AM

327 posts, read 881,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Americans are generally passive in most of the country in regard to politics. Passive agressive might be more common in the future. It depends on what happens in the next few years.

What are you doing about it other than bitching on here?
Whoever the hell you are- LOL zzzzzzzzzzz

You are aware of all the social classes and their equity and you just can't get it? That post is a joke post. There is no way you understand the American class system.

Well I grew up in ****ty Hackney, London, detested by UK throughout for lack of class and rank, which is how you are primarily identified as before money, skill, or gender - so don't try to preach to me about the "American class system." You'll look like a clown, pal.

As far as what I'm doing about it, I lived frugally, unwaveringly studied my craft so I could hop the pond to the grit and glitter of NY, where she didn't judge ya by class (just money.) 10 years later, landed in JFK company paid with permanent offer for NY offices in file, just in case. Gambled in "experiencing" NJ, maybe mistake in hindsight, but it's another state off my checklist while I'm here. Unfortunate that my project shall end soon as there are certain aspects of the state (or maybe just Bergen County) I like, but not enough to warrant me to come back. I go to South Brooklyn for pizza.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
Well I grew up in ****ty Hackney, London, detested by UK throughout for lack of class and rank, which is how you are primarily identified as before money, skill, or gender - so don't try to preach to me about the "American class system." You'll look like a clown, pal.

As far as what I'm doing about it, I lived frugally, unwaveringly studied my craft so I could hop the pond to the grit and glitter of NY, where she didn't judge ya by class (just money.) 10 years later, landed in JFK company paid with permanent offer for NY offices in file, just in case. Gambled in "experiencing" NJ, maybe mistake in hindsight, but it's another state off my checklist while I'm here. Unfortunate that my project shall end soon as there are certain aspects of the state (or maybe just Bergen County) I like, but not enough to warrant me to come back. I go to South Brooklyn for pizza.
I don't need all your personal stats. They are not checkable. You are not an American? A true foreigner would have a clue. You would be angry about our policies overseas if you were for real. Your craft is not something I hope to ever encounter.
Study hard.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:55 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,154,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
LOL. I love how people will pay $20k+ in RE taxes for a McMansion that ends up in a politician's pockets all for the sake of "good" pizza and bagels. It's like a 10 year old who gets beat by his dad daily but says it's cool since he pays the mortgage. I've only been here for the past 3 months for a project, so maybe I'm missing a silver lining here. Or not.

Let's face it, from a realistic stand point most people will love New Jersey (or any other state they grew up in) for sentimental reasons.

When you grow up in New Jersey (or any where for that matter), you develope long term friendships with school mates and neighbors. You develope routines, you have acquaintances, co-workers, favorite hang-outs, favorite places to eat, favorite places to shop and all kinds of connections and ties.

So a large part of it all is sentimental and emotional.

New Jersey without a doubt is a schizophrenic state, that often inspires a love/hate relationship with a lot of it's residents.

There are areas that are the filthiest you will ever see. There are also areas that are as beautiful as you will ever see.

The corruption is dispicable, but it also has some of the most wonderful, honest people you will ever meet.

I could go on for another hour listing great things, bad things. That's New Jersey.

Truth be told, all states have their good points and bad points. There's no such thing as "The Perfect Place To Live".

It's all subjective to each individual and their unique perspective and personal situation.

In New Jersey, the good points and bad points are both often a bit more magnified or intense. Throw in sentimentallity and you understand why it can be such a passionate and highly-debated topic.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:03 PM

There actually are people who think they live in a perfect place.

I have them in my own family. But I think they are crazy and one of them had never been out of her home state until she was in her midthirties literally.
I couldn't imagine living like that and I don't agree with any of that but I can't really judge. I mean I do judge because I am judged by her but I keep most of my responses to myself. It's a waste of time. It's like trying to explain blue to a blind person.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
There actually are people who think they live in a perfect place.

I have them in my own family. But I think they are crazy and one of them had never been out of her home state until she was in her midthirties literally.
I couldn't imagine living like that and I don't agree with any of that but I can't really judge. I mean I do judge because I am judged by her but I keep most of my responses to myself. It's a waste of time. It's like trying to explain blue to a blind person.

It's like what Brian said......" With all it's flaws, it's still the greatest state in the union".

Well, to Brian...in his opinion.....I'm sure that's true. And if he feels that way, he's not wrong. Because that's the way he truly feels about it. It's his personal feelings on it.

Realistically speaking, one couldn't possibly evaluate and come to a conclusion unless one has lived in all of the states, for a reasonable amount of time.

But what relevance would that have when discussing sentimental and emotional attachments?

Old 11-26-2008, 12:31 PM

But for me- I find it very hard to say any state is the greatest state. I could not say that with a straight face. That's just not the America I know.

There have been tradeoffs for me everywhere I have lived.
I wish that wasn't true but in my case there have been sacrifices made that some people would not understand.
I made a move earlier this year because of money and it has made me more realistic not sentimental or nostalgic. I think that is probably a good thing. The only thing that would bring me back to the NY/NJ area at this point would be a job with real opportunity but that's it. There are no family issues.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
But for me- I find it very hard to say any state is the greatest state. I could not say that with a straight face. That's just not the America I know.

There have been tradeoffs for me everywhere I have lived.
I wish that wasn't true but in my case there have been sacrifices made that some people would not understand.
I made a move earlier this year because of money and it has made me more realistic not sentimental or nostalgic. I think that is probably a good thing. The only thing that would bring me back to the NY/NJ area at this point would be a job with real opportunity but that's it. There are no family issues.
But that's you and it's a reflection of your own personal state of mind, your own personal situation and experiences. You're not wrong and neither is Brian, if that's the way two feel.

This subject matter is highly personal and reflects an individual's own experience. No one's wrong when they feel emotionally, sentimentally and passionately about such things.

Debating which state is the best, is like debating over music. There's no wrong, there. If you like an artist, a band or whatever genra of music and you think they're the best. Then they are the best to you. Nothing else matters.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:09 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
But that's you and it's a reflection of your own personal state of mind, your own personal situation and experiences. You're not wrong and neither is Brian, if that's the way two feel.

This subject matter is highly personal and reflects an individual's own experience. No one's wrong when they feel emotionally, sentimentally and passionately about such things.

Debating which state is the best, is like debating over music. There's no wrong, there. If you like an artist, a band or whatever genra of music and you think they're the best. Then they are the best to you. Nothing else matters.
This post reminds me of something I've claimed on the "General US" forum and read, when I see a thread that is along the lines of "Which state is the best" which, generally speaking, are the first words of a 'post' war. And they are all quite frivilous. That's why I've always drawn the distinction of a)cultural and living experiences vs b) visiting, observation of natural landscape, etc. You can very easily make informed opinions on b), but not nearly so much a), unless you've lived in all 50 states. Since I know no one who has been blessed to do that, it would be virtually impossible to form an opinion on what is superior. Most people don't live any further than 50 miles outside of the town they were born in their life, and this statistic is even more pronounced in the northeast. Therefore NMyTree's post here is right on. Our opinions on NJ or any other state that we were born and raised in are going to be highly swayed by our upbringings, and how happy or unhappy we were. Cost of living is an unfortunate reality here, as well, and I think that's a big reason for negative backlash by people in this forum, because they feel like they've been displaced or dislocated from a former life they were otherwise happy in. There is resentment there, but it is a consequence of living in one of the most desirable areas in the country. I am one of those victims. A lot of the animous is directed at government, taxes, and perceived waste. Those who feel that is part of the 'cost of doing business' mostly will choose to stay, and speak positively about their homeland. Those who won't or can't afford it will leave, and that memory of being disenfranchised will be directed at NJ, the people, the culture, etc. And that's a real shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey