Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 12:01 PM

10 posts, read 19,094 times

Advertisements

Good After, CD!

Well, basically here's my issue ..I've been reading threads today and see there have been alot of comments about diversity in South Jersey in alot of them.

Born in New Jersey (Orange) and raised in SC (big difference), I'm ready to move back home bc my entire family is there. I've been looking at the South Jersey area for the past 2 months now and I'm trying to get a handle on things.

I like Medford because it reminds me a little of here (quiet, low crime, less traffic, good school area) but what bothers me is the presence of African-Americans. I want my 3 year old daughter to experience and know all walks of life..It's not even like that here and we are in the South..Your feedback on what areas (if not Medford) would be accepting to a young (early 20s) single African-American mother of one.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 03:53 PM

237 posts, read 1,110,747 times
My area of concentration is Central Jersey so I can't comment specifically about diversity in South Jersey. However, I can't image that there are too many areas in our state where you and your daughter would not be able to live an enjoyable lifestyle. My advice is to find an area that you like and then a home that you like and just go for it!

Old 12-10-2008, 04:02 PM

691 posts, read 3,060,451 times
I don't know about Medford specifically, but I live nearby in Mount Laurel and there is a lot of diversity here. You and your daughter would have no problem adjusting.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:23 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charnewbie View Post
Good After, CD!

Well, basically here's my issue ..I've been reading threads today and see there have been alot of comments about diversity in South Jersey in alot of them.

Born in New Jersey (Orange) and raised in SC (big difference), I'm ready to move back home bc my entire family is there. I've been looking at the South Jersey area for the past 2 months now and I'm trying to get a handle on things.

I like Medford because it reminds me a little of here (quiet, low crime, less traffic, good school area) but what bothers me is the presence of African-Americans. I want my 3 year old daughter to experience and know all walks of life..It's not even like that here and we are in the South..Your feedback on what areas (if not Medford) would be accepting to a young (early 20s) single African-American mother of one.

Thanks
I lived in Medford for almost 4 years. It might be the 'whitest' town I've ever lived in. However, higher black population can be found one town north in Lumberton. Mount Holly is probably about 25% black. I'll see what data I can scrape up and make a map, showing racial composition by town.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:32 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,217 times
Lumberton and Hainesport are good choices. Medford is not very racially diverse.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:39 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
I was only able to get a handful of towns but here's my best shot:

The .23, for instance, means 23%. I made the dots larger by percentage.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:46 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I lived in Medford for almost 4 years. It might be the 'whitest' town I've ever lived in. However, higher black population can be found one town north in Lumberton. Mount Holly is probably about 25% black. I'll see what data I can scrape up and make a map, showing racial composition by town.
Pretty much the same for most of Marlton, Voorhees and the surrounding areas. If you mow your lawn and say, "Hi" to your neighbors, you'll fit in well enough, but it may not be what you're looking for if you want your child to have AA playmates.

If you move here, welcome to the neighborhood! You just have to go to my new dentist, AA guy up the road. He is the best. I'd put his name here, but I don't know if that would be considered advertising.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:11 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,950 times
Are those numbers you're using from the 2000 census? Just asking b/c I know that Latinos in Camden have outnumbered blacks for more than a few years now and while the Dominicans/Puerto Ricans are mostly in Camden/Pennsauken/Woodlynne, Mexicans have a presence throughout the older suburbs.

There a substantial south asian and east asian presence as well.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:22 PM

691 posts, read 3,060,451 times
This is a good website to use FFIEC Geocoding System

You type in an address then click on census demographic. It will give you the minority population for the immediate neighborhood. For instance, my neighborhood has a 19% minority population. Then you can click on population data for an even further breakdown. Out of about 6,000 people in my neighborhood, roughly 500 are black, 350 asian, 150 hispanic etc.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:36 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times
If u want a black population like Orange has look at the other side of Burlington County. Being from Orange u probably couldn't adjust to Medford anyway. Atlantic and Mercer county also has a good black population. Avoid Camden too crouded and not enough blacks, unless ur in Camden city - dangerous. I'm from burlington township and i recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey