Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 05:45 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times

Advertisements

We moved out of New Jersey in 1999 and we have been regretting it ever since. NJ was my home and always will be. Many people on this board absolutely love it now that they left NJ and many people, like me miss it. I guess it depends on the individual. I miss so much- the food-pizza, cheesesteaks, zeppoles, pork roll, I could go on and on and on. I am absoultely devistated without my Wawa. I grew up at the shore and I miss it so much. I just miss it. People claim that New Jersey people are rude? Sorry but people in New Hampshire are more rude. They let the door slam in your face and don't even say thanks when you hold the door for them. That does not happen to me in NJ. Yes there are a lot of problems but NJ is my home. We basically take all of our vacation time in NJ. We are working on a plan to get back to NJ and I hope that it is sooner than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 08:05 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,923,634 times
God willing, I'll be in NJ (my birth state) on Sat. My previous attempt to vacation in NJ (in late June) got thwarted b/c of bad weather here in the D/FW area.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:54 PM

25 posts, read 88,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
I think it's as simple as Jersey is just "home" for a lot of us. I'm also 31 with one child and a husband. I sit here and think that this country is huge, and it is almost a shame to not experience other parts of it. But while the thought of going to a different state, with warmer weather perhaps, intrigues me-I stay right here. Family is not an issue (they live 5 minutes from me and we don't visit-LOL) so it has to be something else that keeps me here. Everything I know is here-from the 5 different routes to avoid an accident on Rt. 18 down to the sarcastic repartee with my bank teller. My cousin's wife is from PA and she said one time that she just didn't understand the connection people from Jersey have with the state-she couldn't wait to leave PA.
I think some of us have "Jersey likers guilt" too. We feel like we should want to leave when everybody is complaining about taxes, traffic, etc. It's almost like you have to apologize when you admit that you-*gulp*-like it here.
So true!! NJ is a great state, but you start to buy into the ultra negative stance after a while until you really start to remind yourself of the many positives.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:51 AM

34 posts, read 110,934 times
I live in a beautiful little town in North Jersey (Morris Co.)- this IS the "graden state", for all of it's beautiful preserved farm lands, quaint little towns- it's "small town" America for sure. Friendly people, good public schools.....why we need to leave- $21,000/annual property taxes, for the same house we lived in in NC for 1/2 the price (not to mention 1/3 of the property taxes). Why am I still here- my husbands job. In the end- it all comes down to the money. It's too expensive to live here because of the astronomical property taxes. And THAT is the bottom line.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:19 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,886,187 times
I'm staying in Jersey, because I love how close I am to the ocean, Philadelphia (and my Phillies), NYC, my family, my family history, my almost ethnic enclave like town, the fact that the other families here knew mine since before we came to this country, the fact that the other half of my family has been here for generations, I'm a sentimental old fool, the food, the food, the ocean again, the bay, the marshes, there's so much here in NJ for me I don't think I can list it all.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:22 AM

267 posts, read 950,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
You get what you pay for...the taxes and cost of living are high but as you said, you get a lot for it.
We're leaving in August...not having a hard time with it at all. But it might be different if we had kids.
E X A C T L Y ! ! You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you like the services, programs, and education available here, pay up!

Old 05-23-2010, 09:32 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
What keeps me in NJ? Have you seen the rest of the country?

Old 05-23-2010, 09:44 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,974 times
um my job...and I know I'll miss NYC the second I leave...have you ever had something as simple as pizza anywhere else? its nowhere near what they do here in ny and nj

Old 05-23-2010, 11:09 AM

445 posts, read 1,984,825 times
I dont know if i will be in New Jersey forever but for now its really not bad. Wife and I both have jobs that are decent. We have a small house and the taxes are really not so bad. Probably because we dont have a mcmansion, its only around 225.00 a month in property taxes. I could do without rude, idiotic drivers but its good for now

Old 05-23-2010, 10:36 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
My friends and my immediate family are a huge factor, plus the fact that NJ is at least #2 or 3 of my most desired places to live, so going through the trouble of moving west isn't quite as appealing as it would be if NJ was much lower on my list. Otherwise, I'd move to L.A., or somewhere in CA or even Nevada. Now, if I lived in a boring, crappy, humid hellhole (like anywhere in the Southeast all the way to Houston) then family and friends would not be enough to keep me there - not even close. I'd be on the next plane or even Greyhound to L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey