Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 01:02 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times

Advertisements

Thanks. I am beginning to think that maybe the thing to do this year would be to find a hotel to stay at for a few days and use it as a base camp to check out rentals for next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 01:54 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I would never send anyone into Seaside Heights that isn't familiar with the area; the place was creepy years ago and I hear it still is, especially at night. Is this the place you are referring to as "...honky tonk boardwalk scene...?"

There is no massive road going through Ortley and Lavallette. Two lanes going north and two lanes going south, separated by two blocks of homes and the speed limit is 35 mph. There are crossing guards, too, where needed. How is that massive??

Our public beaches aren't free, but rentals usually include the cost of beach badges.

OP, good luck with your search. As you can see, we all have different opinions as to what is good.
I stand by my original post--I've been to beaches and resort areas in many areas of the US, Europe and South America and have no problem sending someone to Seaside Heights with the description that it's the baddest honky tonk boardwalk you've ever seen. Most people know what you mean by that. You take it or leave it.

And yes, there is way too much traffic going through Ortley Beach and Lavalette. The traffic is endless, with rare breaks. It runs two lanes north on the beach side, and two lanes south on the bay side. 35 is too high a speed limit for an area with lots of pedestrians trying to cross the road. I always feel sorry for the people holding all their beach stuff standing there with cars streaming by them. And then I look at the houses in between the two roads and I think who the heck would ever want to live there??

The OP is on the right track -- try to book into the big hotel in Spring Lake or some nice victorian B and B in Cape May. You will have a fantastic time.

As for our little beach war it's par for the course--local people are fiercely opinionated about our beaches. Cape May especially is not "local" at all.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:11 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
I stand by my original post--I've been to beaches and resort areas in many areas of the US, Europe and South America and have no problem sending someone to Seaside Heights with the description that it's the baddest honky tonk boardwalk you've ever seen. Most people know what you mean by that. You take it or leave it. . . .As for our little beach war it's par for the course--local people are fiercely opinionated about our beaches. Cape May especially is not "local" at all.
I'm missing the point of how beaches and resort areas in other areas of the US, Europe, and South America have anything to do with NJ's beaches. I vacationed in Seaside Park and Seaside Heights when I was younger and would never tell anyone to stay a week, it's great there. I stand by my comment, too.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:30 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
I never told them to stay a week! Why don't you read my post before you go spouting off?

Old 02-12-2009, 06:08 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,601,713 times
If you think Seaside Heights is "creepy" you're a pretty timid individual.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:21 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Places I've visited but haven't stayed or rented -

Point Pleasant Beach has a boardwalk. About 10-12 blocks of that is amusement area and a few motels. Point Pleasant Beach NJ Shore Visitors Guide Town Information North and south of the hubbub, the boardwalk is more of a promenade lined with houses. Nearby Bayhead is described as posh. A NJ transit train runs into town. I'm not sure how that impacts the beach experience.

Lavallette/Ortley Beach - Lavallette, too, has a boardwalk. It looks as though there are plenty of beachside rentals, opposite side of boardwalk. Most of the shops and restaurants are on Grand Central Ave. There's a park with fishing pier and beach on the bay. It looked a little quiet until I saw this- Welcome to Surf Club I liked it. Ortley has more motels and public parking and a road between the houses and the beach.

Long Beach Island, finally something I know. Beach Haven is definitely the star of the show. Beach Haven, NJ. You could stay in that one section and not run out of things to do. There is no boardwalk. People ride bikes and skate, stroll along Atlantic Ave. It's got bike lanes and a very low speed limit.

Bay Village LBI - Spend the day at 9th and Bay! (http://www.bayvillagelbi.com/index.htm - broken link) Nice place to walk around for an hour.

Black Whale Cruises
You can also hop onto a fishing boat at the same dock. It's right next to the municipal dock where people crab and fish. The are several nice restaurants within a block. This is my favorite: BOAT HOUSE RESTAURANT • BEACH HAVEN, NJ There's a small museum across the street. MUSEUM OF NEW JERSEY MARITIME HISTORY, INC. (http://www.museumofnjmh.com/photographs.html - broken link)

There's more, but I'm sure that you get the idea.

Further up the island, Daddy O is a nice place to stop for a drink, snack. daddy O

If you're into lighthouses, after you visit "Old Barney", you might want to go over to the little museum on Central Ave. and see the Fresnel lens. There are a few cute shops, some restaurants and the Viking Village up in Barnegat Light. Barnegat Light Official Web Site 2005 NJ GOVERNOR

Old 02-12-2009, 07:46 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Anothe Suggestion is to rent in Wildwood in Wildwood, or Wildwood Crest, NJ.
Its near Cape May which is very pretty.

Wildwood New Jersey Vacation Homes Beach Condos by Owner

Wildwood Vacation Rentals, Wildwood New Jersey Vacation Rental Homes - Vacation Rentals.com

Diane G

Old 02-12-2009, 08:06 PM

Beachfront in Wildwood, you're still half a mile from the water LOL.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:10 PM

If you like to go to bars, Ocean City and Cape May are dry... just an FYI. LOL

Old 02-13-2009, 03:48 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
I never told them to stay a week! Why don't you read my post before you go spouting off?
I was being sarcastic about staying in Seaside Heights for a week; nothing to do with you. You need to read the OP request. My answer is based on what the OP was asking for. They were looking for a weekly rental. How is that spouting off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey