Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 09:40 AM

127 posts, read 160,539 times

Advertisements

10 States With the Highest Property Taxes in America

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 02:42 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,148 times
Mostly all the liberal northeast states. Hilarious.

Shocked to see VT and NH up there. No sales tax mean more property tax in NH?

Old 01-26-2014, 03:20 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
Where's Texas, they have very high property taxes... Complete hack of an article, btw I own a house in Keller Texas and a condo in Bridgewater NJ, my house in Texas is valued at 135k and I pay $3500 a year, my condo in Bridgewater NJ is about 250k and I pay 4800 a year.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:19 PM

989 posts, read 1,876,855 times
The only good thing I can say after reading this is that I'm that I'm glad I don't own a home in NJ. There have been times when I thought perhaps home ownership would be a wise move, but it's pointless owning a home in NJ.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:29 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Mostly all the liberal northeast states. Hilarious.

Shocked to see VT and NH up there. No sales tax mean more property tax in NH?
I was surprised at Vermont, too.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:33 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
The only good thing I can say after reading this is that I'm that I'm glad I don't own a home in NJ. There have been times when I thought perhaps home ownership would be a wise move, but it's pointless owning a home in NJ.
Wouldn't say it is pointless, I mean you get what you pay for and or are seeking.

Coming from a NYC in particular Staten Island point of view everyone knows the math. You can pay less property taxes on a house say in Brooklyn or Staten Island but the public schools are often horrible. This means you'll probably end up paying for private K-12 education

For those and other family quality of life issues persons pack up and move to NJ. Yes, you pay more in taxes but in the right areas the local K-12 school system is excellent so you don't have the costs for private school tuition, that is unless you choose to go that route regardless.

There are also many more nicer areas in NJ with easy access to Manhattan that are better to raise a family than parts of NYC

Old 01-26-2014, 05:53 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Where's Texas, they have very high property taxes... Complete hack of an article, btw I own a house in Keller Texas and a condo in Bridgewater NJ, my house in Texas is valued at 135k and I pay $3500 a year, my condo in Bridgewater NJ is about 250k and I pay 4800 a year.
True that taxes are high in Texas but significantly lower than what we paid in NJ. For comparison, we are renting a house almost double the size of the one we sold in NJ. The taxes are half of what we paid in NJ. The school district we are in is excellent, surpasses what we had in NJ. The voters did vote to raise taxes though and fortunately the vote passed. As long as we live in this district, I know my kids will receive an excellent education. Sure, I would love if houses were at a tad less expensive and property taxes a bit lower. I think think that financially we are doing much better here in Texas as compared to NJ.

I do miss NJ though in many ways thus my lurking on these forums. No place is perfect and you have to take the good and bad. I did enjoy our 68 degree day today!

Old 01-26-2014, 06:35 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,813 times
Quote:
High? Really? If you think $3,500 is "very high", you need to look at the relative reality. Look at what you are talking about.

You own a house in Texas. So what is the total square footage and acreage are involved? Keep in mind those property taxes are to cover the costs of infrastructure that needs to be paid at the local level. Also, Texas has no state income tax.

In New Jersey, you own a condo. So you have a unit within a building and limited, if any, acreage. You are also paying a HOA to cover the costs of upkeep and maintenance. In addition, you are also paying income tax to the State of New Jersey. How much of that money paid into the State is kicked back, er, appropriated, to Bridgewater from that amount you pay in to help with infrastructure costs?

Old 01-26-2014, 07:03 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
The house I own in Texas is 1600 square feet and on a 1/8th of an acre... If I owned a 250k house in that neighborhood I would pay 7k a year. The offset is no income tax. The article doesn't mention Texas at all which makes it a complete hack job.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
Quote:
The house I own in Texas is 1600 square feet and on a 1/8th of an acre... If I owned a 250k house in that neighborhood I would pay 7k a year. The offset is no income tax. The article doesn't mention Texas at all which makes it a complete hack job.
so you are saying that you believe the mean property tax paid in texas in 2012 was more than $3,290?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: