Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 04:12 PM

293 posts, read 720,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Slavery is not gone, it just has a new name: Entitlements. The result is the same though: Decrepit existence, unending hopelessness, eternal bitterness, reflexive hostility, vocational crime, mundane death, unremarkable life.
You and I perhaps understand the subliminality of social engineering. But within the context in which some people see it, slavery is gone. I hear them talking about it almost everywhere and all the time. On my way to get my lunch today, I passed by a table with people holding panflets and inciting people to register to vote. All of them had t-shirts and a big banner identifying them as members of the Black Panthers. As I walked by them, they were spewing non sense about slavery and guess what else......ahow they still deserve a form of reparation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Gentrifying this mess means displacing this mess, nothing more. Gentrification is not a cure, or even a treatment. Curing this disease will require a new philosophy. One that includes words like: individualism, personal pride, achievement, excellence, hard work, responsibility, tenacity, character, and above all: Reason.
I totally agree, but that's exactly the complete opposite direction that unfortunately we are heading to...remember that (You didn't built that)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 04:34 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,448,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Guitar View Post
Best post ever!!!....In a country whose society and its border line fanatical political correctness have got it completely wrong, this idea is ludicrous and offensive. We are inherently a tribal species which is why immigrants tend to gravitate in communities with people of their own kind. And with that a cultural tendency that is collective. Nothing wrong with that! At least in my view. However, when whites do the same thing they tend to be labeled as racists. And I say they because as a Hispanic and an immigrant myself, I have noticed this sort of imposed guilt trip. Furthermore, when things don't go well in "diverse areas" then we tend to blame directly and subliminally in many cases the whites for all the pains and aches that the communities are going through.

What I find rather humorous is that the truth is in everyone's faces. Cities like Detroit, Menphis, Peth Amboy, Miami, Camdem, Baltimore, and Newark happen to be in aweful conditions. These cities are not diverse by any stretch of the imagination. But their residents refuse to take full responsability and continue to perpetrate the cultural nuances that have made these cities........well the places that they are. With that said, slavery is gone and so is segregation. Therefore, if a community is in dismal conditions then we should blame ourselves for it. I would never live in a city like Newark. I do, however, love the architecture and history of the city. I feel that Newark has a great potential, unlike many cities in the U.S. And finally.....I do agree with your statement. If a few whites would move to the city, then the perception and the interest would grow exponentially. This is the only way to make of Newark the next Hoboken sort of speak, but it would not happen without major resistance. You are doom if you do and doom if you don't.

So what if some cities haven't been as diverse?

Perth Amboy has gotten less diverse but it's actually gotten better. Crime has gotten down, and the waterfront looks good now. Although I'm not saying diversity doesn't help a society get better either.

Miami has been rejuvanited by the Latin elite. Atlanta is pretty good even though it is mostly black.

refuse to take personal responsiblity? Perth Amboy has been revived by many small businesses thanks to the Hispanic immigrants. You want proof? Go on Smith or State Street on any given day. While other communities have boarded up windows and empty storefronts.

creating cultural nuances? So if a community is predominately white there are no cultural nuaces but if a commmunity is predominately non white than they are already creating cultural nuaces?

And blaming the victim isn't always the answer, the poor and minorities are being kept down for a reason.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
So what if some cities haven't been as diverse?

Perth Amboy has gotten less diverse but it's actually gotten better. Crime has gotten down, and the waterfront looks good now. Although I'm not saying diversity doesn't help a society get better either.

Miami has been rejuvanited by the Latin elite. Atlanta is pretty good even though it is mostly black.

refuse to take personal responsiblity? Perth Amboy has been revived by many small businesses thanks to the Hispanic immigrants. You want proof? Go on Smith or State Street on any given day. While other communities have boarded up windows and empty storefronts.

creating cultural nuances? So if a community is predominately white there are no cultural nuaces but if a commmunity is predominately non white than they are already creating cultural nuaces?

And blaming the victim isn't always the answer, the poor and minorities are being kept down for a reason.
These cities have gotten better? Miami? In all honesty, if you believe that then there's not much to say. Smith Street? State Street? How about you take the time to know what's going on with their school district and then tell me what has improved in Perth Amboy? Almost every person I know, mostly Dominicans, can't wait to get out of that town. But with that said, you are entittled to your opinion.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:09 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,448,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Guitar View Post
These cities have gotten better? Miami? In all honesty, if you believe that then there's not much to say. Smith Street? State Street? How about you take the time to know what's going on with their school district and then tell me what has improved in Perth Amboy? Almost every person I know, mostly Dominicans, can't wait to get out of that town. But with that said, you are entittled to your opinion.
So what aboue all those predominately white towns that do have those same problems?

Are you trying to say some cultures including your own are inherently inferior to others?

Cant it be poverty or lack of educational opportunities found in these immigrants homelands instead of saying it's just a cultural problem?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
So what aboue all those predominately white towns that do have those same problems?

Are you trying to say some cultures including your own are inherently inferior to others?

Cant it be poverty or lack of educational opportunities found in these immigrants homelands instead of saying it's just a cultural problem?
Is not about inferiority, but how different we are culturally speaking. And yes Hispanics, we do not take education as a priority....Hispanics parent's concern is that their children grow up, go to work, so that the children, now adults, can take care of the parents when they get old. As opposed to other cultures, we do not have a culture of cue. So when you are waiting in a line, a Hispanic is most likely to cut off and not follow the flow of the line. On the other hand, most countries in Latin America, we have the culture of the astute, and not with a positive connotation. In other words, if I see someone dropping a wallet and take the money without saying a word I get praises. However, if I return the wallet to its owner I get riduculed and at times cursed at. We are not a culture that is mindful of other people's spaces, property, and time....and the list goes on and on.

With that said, I have found a few minorities in this country that share these characteristics. But few people are willing to admit it because it is easier to blame someone else other than yourself. But what's even more astonishing is that these cultural nuances have permeated in mainstream America. So now whites are mirroring the same behaviour.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:48 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I think we have found a good point. It does not have to be completely gentrified or completely ghetto. You can always gentrify the Center Ward (Business District and University Heights) and the Northward, while the West, South and East Wards remain for lower income people. Hence, you will have more revenue from the yuppies and room for lower income individuals. These lower-income individuals will benefit greatly from more governmental services that could be provided from more revenue. Hence, it would look like any other urban area on the upswing.
This is exactly the wrong answer. You're looking to sucker rich people in to use them as a host for parasites. Rich people aren't stupid as a class; they're going to look at any such deal and ask what's in it for them.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:00 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
This is exactly the wrong answer. You're looking to sucker rich people in to use them as a host for parasites. Rich people aren't stupid as a class; they're going to look at any such deal and ask what's in it for them.
If an area gentrifies, there will be plenty of amenities for them to wish to settle there. Why would so many rich people like to settle in NYC despite the high taxes?! Urban life has its positives for those that are willing and can pay for it.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:29 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
Hoboken became gentrified because people got priced out of NYC. Jersey City became gentrified because people got priced out of Hoboken. The only way I see Newark becoming gentrified is if there ever comes a time when people are priced out of Jersey City. Given the vast size of Jersey City its going to take a while for some of the outer neighborhoods to gentrify, so I think its a long way off for Newark.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:08 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Hoboken became gentrified because people got priced out of NYC. Jersey City became gentrified because people got priced out of Hoboken. The only way I see Newark becoming gentrified is if there ever comes a time when people are priced out of Jersey City. Given the vast size of Jersey City its going to take a while for some of the outer neighborhoods to gentrify, so I think its a long way off for Newark.
2020.....between JSQ and The Heights even Greenville....2020 or 2025....but Newark will have High Speed Rail and more state connections to Elizabeth , the EWR and Paterson making it more attractive...

Old 09-27-2012, 02:36 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Asbury Park seems to be improving because it has both a draw (the beach) and its housing stock (restorable Victorians). In Newark, there is somewhat of a draw (The Rock, NJPAC, Ironbound) but the housing stock (other than the mini-mansions of Forest Hills) isn't the greatest. Most of the Victorians which would be desirable to urban pioneers are in the worst neighborhoods on the South & West sides. There's still hope, and it will likely change slowly on the outer edges toward the center, but not at the rate of other cities.

Example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kr...tt_Mansion.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey