Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:30 AM

329 posts, read 1,528,801 times

Advertisements

I so much fell in love with a house but then reality struck me that is 'it will be a pain to shovel ice in the winter'.

Bah......

Please share you comments guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:35 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,596 times
I guess you're not that much in love w/ it after all if you're thinking what a PITA shoveling ice/snow will be. No matter the home, there will always be some type PITA thing to fix, to do. Don't get me wrong, I hate shoveling snow, but then again, that's when a 14 year old son comes in handy.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:49 AM

587 posts, read 2,178,111 times
on the upside you can use this issue to justify an ATV purchase and slap a plow on it.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:50 AM

Alex, I do not mind shovelling snow. The issue here is am I ok cleaning a driveway that is 4 times longer than a average driveway i.e 12 feet long?

but the fun part of parking your car in a long driveway is as if you are entering a adventurous place

Can I get over this issue? Is it possible to construct a gate with ceiling only --- cheap and simple construction -- just 12 feets inside the driveway so I can avoid cleaning the long private driveway.

The home is on a large acre , and on a dead end street...

Talk me about variances and legal issues please. No one will even know if I do not clean my driveway.
its that hidden.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:06 AM

563 posts, read 1,286,334 times
Default why bother?

As long as the driveway is horizontal and flat, there might not even be need for removing the snow. Last winter I got away without shovelling snow even once. If your tires have good tread, you will be able to just drive on top of the snow.
I was actually amused watching some of my neighbors powering up their monstrous snowblowers in the early morning hours and removing every last inch of snow instead of just driving trough the couple of inches.
Now the walkway I did clean with broom at all times, so nobody falls.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:23 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,009 times
I think a long driveway if you are far away from the road and have house set back is great!!! This about all the nice trees you can plant on both sides of the long driveway coming in, make it look like an Estate!!!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:00 AM

86sebring ,

yes, the driveway is horizontal and flat and paved (tar , I suppose). cool - so no need to bother about the snow removal as much.

stevemorse - Ummm....nice idea ... installing at the entrance , two lion scultures with water oozing from the mouth ...and beautiful garden welcoming you... I wish i was that rich to afford that... Why don't this government also provide you grants for such projects? LOL
Its part of soul healing

Old 04-01-2009, 11:16 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lets_hope_for_newbruns View Post
86sebring ,

yes, the driveway is horizontal and flat and paved (tar , I suppose). cool - so no need to bother about the snow removal as much.

stevemorse - Ummm....nice idea ... installing at the entrance , two lion scultures with water oozing from the mouth ...and beautiful garden welcoming you... I wish i was that rich to afford that... Why don't this government also provide you grants for such projects? LOL
Its part of soul healing
plant one a year

Old 04-01-2009, 11:32 AM

4,179 posts, read 5,058,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lets_hope_for_newbruns View Post
average driveway i.e 12 feet long
12 feet ??

dude, I've never seen one less than 35 ft.
unless you're talking about an urban-ish
location...

Old 04-01-2009, 12:04 PM

jg183, you are right average driveways are much longer and wider ...

my point is , you can't view this home if you are standing at the cross road. the home is tucked that deep inside....

steve,
I will probably move out or die by the time the garden is half complete LOL
just kidding. yep, trees /botanical gardens are so expensive in a Garden state of all places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey