Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:00 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
given the recent surge of stink bugs, my father is ready to cut the line down after 37 years....
Was this a phenomenon that affected a certain area of the state? I remember a couple threads about stink bugs during the summer, but I don't recall any of them around here. I was even looking for them after reading the threads.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:11 PM

80 posts, read 219,430 times
I love my clothes line. Luckily my yard allows for a pole and pulley. As long as the weather is dry, no problem, and thankfully no stinkbugs Only the occassional birdie poo or bumble bee hitching a ride

Old 12-10-2009, 12:54 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Well I would. Why spend money on a dryer, then money on gas/ electric when the rope does it for free.
Because drying a load of laundry takes 40 minutes, the cost of the gas is negligible, and my clothes come out without wrinkles and smell nice. I also think it is more sanitary than allowing wet clothes to soak up bacteria, bird and insect urine, pollen, and other airborne contaminants that can irritate the skin or cause other problems.

I also think a clothesline is an anachronistic eyesore and I do not want to contribute to esthetic pollution. Also a modern clothesdryer is a fun piece of equipment to buy and operate, as is a modern washer, refrigerator, or dishwasher. So many options, and controls and buttons and high-tech displays - I love them.

However, it is a free country and I do not favor zoning laws that seek to make them illegal. To each his own but I do have to admit that the sight of underwear and brasieres (sp?) hanging on a clothesline triggers phraseology in my lexicon such as "low rent" and "trailer park".

Old 12-10-2009, 09:37 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
To each his own but I do have to admit that the sight of underwear and brasieres (sp?) hanging on a clothesline triggers phraseology in my lexicon such as "low rent" and "trailer park".
Well, alot of us are neither "low rent" and/or "trailer park". Some of us own alot of land and have the pleasure of enjoying the outdoors while doing a family duty and thinking about the energy we save (for ourselves and everyone as a whole) by doing laundry this way.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:45 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,076 times
Its ghetto, plain and simple. I understand it if you dont have the money for a washer/dryer - but if you do and still hang clothes outside - g-h-e-t-t-o.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:55 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Before this deteriorates further, this thread is locked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey