Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:50 AM

7 posts, read 35,985 times

Advertisements

I'm moving up to south jersey to be closer to family and because the economy in FL is terrible right now.
I was raised in the Northeast, but haven't lived there for a long time. I was wondering if someone could tell me how to figure out what my potential take-home pay would be in NJ, as I've lived with no state income tax for years now.
Salary would be around $60K.
Does anyone get a refund on state income taxes like you can on Federal taxes? Is there a way to estimate and plan for the proper deductions to avoid owing a lot in state income tax?
Thanks for any info!

Old 04-26-2009, 03:35 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,895,139 times
Go to your HR department -- they'll have tables to enable you to set yout correct withholding.

Yes, you can get a refund on NJ taxes -- overpay, and when you file, claim a refund.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:41 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,899,841 times
Here's the link to a NJ W-4 Form. It has the worksheet to help you figure out your withholding.

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/other_forms/git-er/njw4.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-26-2009, 05:00 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,978,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrrr View Post
I'm moving up to south jersey to be closer to family and because the economy in FL is terrible right now.
I was raised in the Northeast, but haven't lived there for a long time. I was wondering if someone could tell me how to figure out what my potential take-home pay would be in NJ, as I've lived with no state income tax for years now.
Salary would be around $60K.
Does anyone get a refund on state income taxes like you can on Federal taxes? Is there a way to estimate and plan for the proper deductions to avoid owing a lot in state income tax?
Thanks for any info!

One word of advice........DON"T !!! New Jersey has 13 of the top 20 counties in the United States for highest tax burden per resident and we are currently the highest taxed State of all 50. While the economy may be weak in Florida our cost of living and real estate costs are completely out of control compared to Florida.....$10,000 a year in real estate taxes in a nice community is not uncommon......many are even higher !!!! At least in Florida you can sit on the beach for free......here in New Jersey you have to pay a daily FEE !!!! Just read through the New Jersey forum and count the posts of those complaining about the cost of living in New Jersey.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:08 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,895,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
While the economy may be weak in Florida our cost of living and real estate costs are completely out of control compared to Florida......at least in Florida you can sit on the beach for free......here in New Jersey you have to pay a daily FEE !!!!
Not in the Wildwoods, you don't.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
Not in the Wildwoods, you don't.
Then by all standards in New Jersey you would have to consider yourself lucky....isn't that a sad statement of life in New Jersey ?

Old 04-26-2009, 07:03 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,493,426 times
Quote:
One word of advice........DON"T !!! New Jersey has 13 of the top 20 counties in the United States for highest tax burden per resident and we are currently the highest taxed State of all 50. While the economy may be weak in Florida our cost of living and real estate costs are completely out of control compared to Florida.....$10,000 a year in real estate taxes in a nice community is not uncommon......many are even higher !!!! At least in Florida you can sit on the beach for free......here in New Jersey you have to pay a daily FEE !!!! Just read through the New Jersey forum and count the posts of those complaining about the cost of living in New Jersey.
I VERY RARELY come into the NJ forum. However, I always run across one of your post complaining about NJ

NJ is expensive because you have NYC, Philly, AC, The Hamptons and the whole state is covered with beaches

If you dont like NJ then pack your stuff up and move.

I am sick of hearing you complain

Old 04-26-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
I VERY RARELY come into the NJ forum. I always run across one of your post complaining about NJ

NJ is expensive because you have NYC, Philly, AC, The Hamptons and the whole state is covered with beaches

If you dont like NJ then pack your stuff up and move.

I am sick of hearing you complain
New Jersey is not just expensive.....it is in fact the MOST expensive of all 50 states. Geograhic location isn't an excuse to continue to heap mountains of taxes on the residents of New Jersey when the state is already the highest in the nation. While I do occasionally comment on negative threads started by others about New Jersey I am but one poster on threads that are packed with posts from equally unhappy New Jersey residents. As far as moving goes I plan to next year but until then I'll continue posting my opinions which is what this forum is for......if your sick of hearing my opinions then I suggest you get a pair of ear plugs and should you find finances lacking to buy a set of ear plugs due to our out of control taxes then try jambing a finger into each ear until they touch in the center !!!

Old 04-26-2009, 08:07 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,493,426 times
Quote:
New Jersey is not just expensive.....it is in fact the MOST expensive of all 50 states. Geograhic location isn't an excuse to continue to heap mountains of taxes on the residents of New Jersey when the state is already the highest in the nation. While I do occasionally comment on negative threads started by others about New Jersey I am but one poster on threads that are packed with posts from equally unhappy New Jersey residents. As far as moving goes I plan to next year but until then I'll continue posting my opinions which is what this forum is for......if your sick of hearing my opinions then I suggest you get a pair of ear plugs and should you find finances lacking to buy a set of ear plugs due to our out of control taxes then try jambing a finger into each ear until they touch in the center !!!
Like I said..... NJ is expensive because of access to NYC, Philly, The Hamptons, beaches and Atlantic City.

I am not the only person that you make mad. You constantly complain like a 2 yr old child about NJ.

Myself and MANY others will continue to quote you until the end.

The reason why you dont like NJ is because the entertainment listed above is not to your liking. Maybe because of your age?

You are 62 yrs old. And your age reflects your opinions. There is not many young professionals in the 20's and 30's that cares to hear your opinon

Old 04-26-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Like I said..... NJ is expensive because of access to NYC, Philly, The Hamptons, beaches and Atlantic City.

The reason why you dont like NJ is because the entertainment listed above is not to your liking.
Thats considered entertainment ?

I am not the only person that you make mad. You constantly complain like a 2 yr old child about NJ.
No one is forcing you to listen or comment.....why should your opinions carry any m ore weight than others ?

You suggest that I buy a pair of earplugs? LOL

I did not know that hearing you through a computer was possible
Basically because it was you who said you were tired of HEARING complaining ?

However, I and MANY others will continue to quote you until the end.
Thank you....being quoted is a sincere form of flattery...

You are 62 yrs old. And your age reflects your opinions
I would agree.....with age comes wisdom.....one day when you've gained a little more wisdom you'll understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey