Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:38 AM

831 posts, read 2,440,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Its not the system......its the teacher.....and by reading all the complaints in the New Jersey forum it would seem that people are generally unhappy with the education system in New Jersey and the COST of it.

It most certainly does apply because the services your getting for your tax dollar in NJ is not included in the taxes here in Florida. I don't live in a condo. I live in a home. The association fees include my garbage pick up and street cleaning. Maybe you should brush up on Florida. And before you comment again no, I don't have a golf course in my back yard there is no work out facilities, its just a regular development with no added extras. As far as education is concerned everyone has a gripe no matter where they live about educating your child, After living in both places I would pay the higher tax to educate my children in NJ schools. As someone pointed out in a thread I had started NJ teaches the students to solve problems and Florida teaches memorization.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:16 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,983,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
It most certainly does apply because the services your getting for your tax dollar in NJ is not included in the taxes here in Florida. I don't live in a condo. I live in a home. The association fees include my garbage pick up and street cleaning. Maybe you should brush up on Florida. And before you comment again no, I don't have a golf course in my back yard there is no work out facilities, its just a regular development with no added extras. As far as education is concerned everyone has a gripe no matter where they live about educating your child, After living in both places I would pay the higher tax to educate my children in NJ schools. As someone pointed out in a thread I had started NJ teaches the students to solve problems and Florida teaches memorization.
Then your paying TOO much.......my kids live in Ocala in a desirable southeast neighborhood and pay $1500 for taxes for a very nice 3 bedroom 2 bath rancher with an attached 2 car garage, deck and jaccuzzi......yes....garbage collection costs about $30 a month.....but thats peanuts compared to $10,000 in yearly taxes up here.....not including the state tax and state income tax.....as far as the school systems go.....if we could get rid of George Bushes no child left behind and let those that know what needs to be done lead things would improve everywhere immensely !!!!

Old 04-27-2009, 02:37 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,768,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Like I said..... NJ is expensive because of access to NYC, Philly, The Hamptons, beaches and Atlantic City.
this is not an accurate statement. just because the area is desirable doesnt give the government the justification to rape us in taxes. it explains higher property values but not higher tax rates.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:13 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,580,398 times
Quote:
my kids live in Ocala in a desirable southeast neighborhood and pay $1500 for taxes for a very nice 3 bedroom 2 bath rancher
Thats because its in Ocala. Desirable and Ocala should never be in the same sentence.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:34 PM

831 posts, read 2,440,356 times
Quote:
Then your paying TOO much.......my kids live in Ocala in a desirable southeast neighborhood and pay $1500 for taxes for a very nice 3 bedroom 2 bath rancher with an attached 2 car garage, deck and jaccuzzi......yes....garbage collection costs about $30 a month.....but thats peanuts compared to $10,000 in yearly taxes up here.....not including the state tax and state income tax.....as far as the school systems go.....if we could get rid of George Bushes no child left behind and let those that know what needs to be done lead things would improve everywhere immensely !!!!

I chose to live in an area that was close to the beach (8 miles) and similar in amenities with the ones I was use to back home. I would never be able to live in Ocala its not my kind of lifestyle. Way to laid back and country for me.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:43 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,983,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Thats because its in Ocala. Desirable and Ocala should never be in the same sentence.
Like someone who thinks Collingswood is desireable would know the meaning of desirable ? Have you checked your muskrat traps down at the Cooper River to see if dinner for this evening has arrived yet ?

Old 04-27-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I would never be able to live in Ocala its not my kind of lifestyle.
Exactly

Old 04-27-2009, 06:04 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,891,046 times
People who would give up the culture and everything else that our area has to offer for a bigger house make me sick to my stomach. Stainless steel kitchen, x,xxx sq ft mcmansion, etc does not mean you are rich, especially when that mcmansion is in a place like florida.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
People who would give up the culture and everything else that our area has to offer for a bigger house make me sick to my stomach. Stainless steel kitchen, x,xxx sq ft mcmansion, etc does not mean you are rich, especially when that mcmansion is in a place like florida.
Thats exactly how I feel.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:09 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,891,046 times
Quote:
I spend a significant amount of time in Florida yearly and find just the opposite. As I stated in my original post to the OP taxes here in New Jersey will quickly eat up a good portion of that $60,000.......$10,000 in property taxes is not uncommon and if he attempts to live next to MoorestownResident then he can expect to pay $20,000+ a year.
You don't need to own a home, especially not a single-family detached house. There are loads of condos and townhomes with lower taxes than that and there are a bunch of condos, townhouses, and even single family homes in nj that can be bought on a $60k income. Will you have jet skis and all that other stupid s***? Probably not, but I would rather live in a rented shoebox in NJ/nyc than own a house in 75% of america.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey