Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:51 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,127,103 times

Advertisements

I know what you are saying.

I am in Hoboken, and the place we have been giong to recently is called Turning Point. Lines out the door for brunch on the weekends.

Thing is, Dunkin has some rules that are SUPPOSED to be followed everywhere, but some stores just do not do so (who's watching?). Every pot has a 15 minute lifespan (or used to), after that they get dumped. This prevents the bitter tar-like stuff you got at your typical greasy spoon.

But also, most of the stores built in suburbia were not a "DD-Express". they made their own stuff fresh. You smelled it when you walked by (cinamon apple was awesome). But in their effort to compete with Starplucks, they are trying to go more for the specialty crowd.

Do not get me wrong, I like a good hazelnut coffee, but just because you can charge $2 more for steamed milk does not exacly make it so that you have to cater to the Latte crowd so much... (PS, pardon my ignorance if Lattes are not the ones made with steamed milk!!! ).

And also the breakfast sandwiches. I have tried them several times at different locations and have come up with the same conclusion. Get your egg sandwich at the local deli with the grill running and get your coffee at DD's!

I guess a part of t is also the classic "old days" syndrome where you miss certain things from your past that stuck out as pleasant. (Example, fresh donuts and apple cider at Abma's Farm in Wayne, before we had salmonella as a risk and we zapped some of the fresh cider flavor away by pasteurizing or UVing the batches...).

And I guess the one thing I fear is the over-spanning of brand names and franchises in an attempt to take more market share. Dr Pepper is Dr Pepper, I don't need it in Cherry, and I do not need a flatbread sandwich at Dunkin'!!

Maybe I am just getting old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey