Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 06:45 PM

4 posts, read 10,615 times

Advertisements

I am a self-employed academic tutor who teaches mostly college admissions prep (SAT, ACT) but also private school test prep, TOEFL and gen'l English reading and writing tutoring to students in high school and below.

I am planning to relocate to the NYC suburbs from Boston and would like some suggestions on locale. My kids are grown, so I don't need to live in the pricey school districts, but I do need to be near enough to my prospective students, since I drive to them and they do come to me, as well.

I have looked at properties in Englewood, Demerast, Closter and Ridgewood. Everything is pretty expensive I am finding and I haven't seen much that is very appealing (I am looking to rent first, and looking up to $2900/month).

I found Ridgewood very cute, and having a train to NYC seems to be a big plus, although from what I have read on these forums it seems to be pretty square and conservative. Coming from the bluest of the blue states and as a former NY-er, I wonder if I would fit in. I just presumed that any town even near NYC would be cool, but that is obviously incorrect.

Can anyone advise me on any of these areas?

- A good town for me to locate to be near my likely student base?
- Good neighborhoods - and those to avoid?
- Convenience to NYC travel (I know most of these towns have buses, but how convenient is it really to get to them - I presume that parking in town near the station is pretty near impossible, so how does one get there? Also, I tried the bus from Englewood once and it was a very long, tedious ride.)?

Many thanks!

Karen

Old 05-08-2009, 09:47 PM

4,289 posts, read 10,784,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_Linda View Post

I found Ridgewood very cute, and having a train to NYC seems to be a big plus, although from what I have read on these forums it seems to be pretty square and conservative. Coming from the bluest of the blue states and as a former NY-er, I wonder if I would fit in. I just presumed that any town even near NYC would be cool, but that is obviously incorrect.
Are you some kind of huge liberal? I think unless you are very far to the left, you will fit in fine....

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 05-25-2010 at 06:00 PM..
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: