Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,174 times

Advertisements

I am also relocating to NJ from NY. I has a single parent of three daughters, find some of the comments truthful and a bit disturbing. I am a Black American woman and my oldest daughter is bi-racial. My main concern is much BIGGER then race. Which is sad that we still live in this type of society. My youngest daughter is Autistic, anyone who knows or cares for someone who is autistic understands how much more of a concern it is being around so called Normal children or so adults. I am looking for the best curriculum for her. This would put such peace of mind to myself as her mother and her sisters, whom loves their sister as if she was so called Normal.... WE NEED TO BECOME A BETTER SOCIETY!!! RACE IS NOT THE BEGINNING OR END OF THIS WORLD WE LIVE IN. HUMANS ARE WHAT WE ARE, TEACHING STARTS AT HOME FIRST..... MAY THE ALMIGHTY KEEP US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 06:19 PM

56 posts, read 113,171 times
amen to that!

Old 09-06-2013, 10:03 PM

696 posts, read 906,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cire0220 View Post
Hello all-
My wife and I bought a house in Morristown in 2006 because we wanted a house that was close to every thing. At the time we did not have kids. We like our house a lot, and we enjoy the convenience. Now that I have an 18 month old girl and another girl on the way, I worry that the school district and the town may not be very conducive to raising a family. I don't mind diversity, I just don't want my girls to be exposed to any unnecessary problems. I know that there is no perfect place, but I would like to know if this is a reasonable place to be. Is the town going to get better with all of the redevelopment? I need to know if we are going to have to move in the next five years, or if we are going to have to consider private school. I would ideally like to hear from people who are currently raising kids in the area who have kids in the school system. I would like to hear from every one with regards to their positive and negative experiences.

Thank you!
Our oldest daughter just graduated from MHS and our youngest is a rising junior. I can't emphasize this enough: RUN LIKE HELL! The issue is not the diverse student body; it is the incompetent faculty and administration. The current principal is a retread hack who came out of retirement as the middle school principal for the sole purpose of burnishing her pension when her predecessor was booted upstairs after a student suicide scandal she should have interdicted but failed to. She was less accessible to parents that either the President of the United States or the Pope. She and the martinet assistant principal kept their jobs and avoided prosecution due to the rampant cronyism in the district. Teachers are indifferent and what they lack in subject matter expertise and pedagogy they more than make up for in their ability to deceive parents. The AP classes are sub-par (My eldest took AP US History I and there was only a textbook written at the sixth grade level used in the class. I took AP US History myself and had to read "The Federalist Papers" and "Democracy in America" in addition to a college level text). If your children are "B" students, they will be lost here. MHS is obsessed with having been ranked the 75th best high school in NJ several years ago by NJ Magazine. We bought our house in the mid 90s before having children when the district was far superior to what is is now. It has gotten so bad that we vote against the school budget every year with the knowledge that no amount of money thrown down this educational rat hole will gernerate better outcomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey