Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:15 PM

240 posts, read 1,264,819 times

Advertisements

I hate the fact that all the stores in my town close so early. I would love to go out and grab some chinese food or donuts late night, but they all close 9-10 PM when I go through other towns at like 12:30 AM, and a lot of the stores and restaurants like McDonald's and Chinese Food are all open!!! Seriously ... it's very inconvenient living here. I mean if there's literally no "downtown" in my town and there's a very few popular restaurants/stores all in a midget-sized strip mall, might as well keep them open until late ... I get jealous when I go through other towns once in awhile (When it's 12 AM!) and I cruise by Dunkin Donuts, and I see people still sitting down enjoying a coffee or a donut on their laptops, etc .... why can't things like that happen in my plain, boring town? Bergen County is a great county but some parts of it really suck and I mean it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 08:25 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,360,499 times
Population of your town, perhaps? Not necessarily, though.

I live in a city with about 250k-300k people (and my area/the metro area is probably close to 2.5 mill), and just about everything folds up at 10 or 11, save for Friday and Saturday nights.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:48 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
Seriously ... it's very inconvenient living here.
where is "here" ...?

I'm guessing it's not southeastern Bergen County

what ticks me off is the Blue Laws -- I want to shop on Sundays dammit !

those people who moved to Paramus, River Edge, etc. should've known ahead of time that they were going to busy areas. It's like the people who move in to a busy street, then petition their gladhand mayor's to put speed-bumps & no-left-turn signs on "their" streets !

the sooner these parochial types leave NJ, the better

Old 05-24-2009, 08:55 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,930,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
I hate the fact that all the stores in my town close so early. I would love to go out and grab some chinese food or donuts late night, but they all close 9-10 PM when I go through other towns at like 12:30 AM, and a lot of the stores and restaurants like McDonald's and Chinese Food are all open!!! Seriously ... it's very inconvenient living here. I mean if there's literally no "downtown" in my town and there's a very few popular restaurants/stores all in a midget-sized strip mall, might as well keep them open until late ... I get jealous when I go through other towns once in awhile (When it's 12 AM!) and I cruise by Dunkin Donuts, and I see people still sitting down enjoying a coffee or a donut on their laptops, etc .... why can't things like that happen in my plain, boring town? Bergen County is a great county but some parts of it really suck and I mean it.
I am guessing 'burbs are not for you. The reason they all close early is precisely because they are located in the suburbs where no one wants Chinese food at 12:30 am. If you want late-night action, move to the city.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:29 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times
Ira's on the money.

Towns that close up early do not want a lot of traffic in their towns late at night. Case closed.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,594 times
Most towns in nj don't shut down at 9 or 10pm, but the ones in and around Paramus do. I didn't choose to live in Paramus nor do I live there, but I did grow up in the area and I still live in the area for a variety of reasons that had little to do with utilizing my vast quantities of free will. I currently have no strong ties per se to remain in the burbs, and I directed my free will to lead me to initiate prompt action to move to mid-town or else haul myself to the west coast, San Fran or Silicon Valley. My preference was manhattan. I boxed up my stuff, rented a truck, hired some movers and was all set to explore the new territory.

As it turned out the condo board wouldn't allow me to move into the rather simple place I'd chosen to live in. They offered no reason other than to say that I didn't qualify. That was odd given that they'd previously reviewed my credit history, public records on me and they indicated I'd fit in well and should be quite happy there. So, I found a similar place, but it was the same sorry story, and again for the next three places- all initially delighted to have me yet stopped me from moving in on the date I'd thought was basically agreed on as viable.

Well, this seemed more than a little likely to be some bizarre conspiracy.

To make a long and heart-wrenching story short I will just say I discussed the matter with various experts in the fields that seemed likely to be most relevant. Summarizing all I learned from them can be stated in a few words: Free Will is a myth.

So I am now stuck in this cruddy, anti-social, ugly, lifeless county with no night life, a materially oriented day life where the core evening goal of nearly everyone is to go to their homes and stay there until they can repeat the scenario the next say.

So, I am in agreement with Newjersey1, and I think you do nj1 a disservice by suggesting the love it or leave it strategy (at least if nj1s free will has none of the special powers I am lacking). More generally, love-it-or-leave-it is a revolting suggestion and an impossible strategy. Even if 99% of the workd's people had vastly greater free will than I have and chose to leave their impoverished existence for better conditions, ummm... well, hopefully you can deduce the fiasco that would result.

p.s. I came home from work tonight, called the local monolithic lighting stores to deal with some outstanding lighting issues, and inquired what their stores' hours might be. I had previously asked Siri but Siri didn't know and referred me to some web material that provided no relevant information. Well, it turned out that two of the three stores would be closing 16 minutes from the time of my calls, while the third had already closed.

It appears that I'll be forced to take a lunch break from work whether they like it or not and take care of my lighting needs during the day, in a more rural area and do it quite rapidly so that I may save up a bit each day in hopes it fuels my free will sufficiently in time so that I might get out of this hell-hole and move to the city.

I hope folks will add to this thread (I'm not holding my breath, this is Nj after all). However, I am indeed hoping; strenuously!

p.s. Thank you ever so much miss Pandora.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:22 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrpeter View Post
Most towns in nj don't shut down at 9 or 10pm, but the ones in and around Paramus do.
Not true. Almost everything closes by 10 in central NJ.

OP - if you have a food craving at midnight, go find a diner!

Old 05-20-2015, 02:24 PM

493 posts, read 385,575 times
What's open late? Diners, many fast food places, 7Eleven, some Dunkin Donuts, few restaurants. More than enough. NJ is not New York City.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:44 PM

191 posts, read 393,891 times
I moved out of nj into a town in Pa for the exact same reason but its one of those be careful what you wish for situations lol.Its awesome to have bars, stores,gas stations open all hours but it gets annoying after a while hearing noise and people all hours.Also jersey cops love to hang all through the small towns after ten trying to nail people and I don't miss that at all.Its all a matter of preference.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:13 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
I was surprised when I moved from Hoboken to West Orange to find that many places in West Orange close at 9pm. A few chinese restaurants stay open til 10pm. Even some restaurants in downtown South Orange, right down the road from Seton Hall University with plenty of college kids, close at 9pm.

I just imagined with the population density, that places would stay open later than where I grew up (rural PA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey