Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 10:38 AM

4 posts, read 26,013 times

Advertisements

I am thinking to move to Clark, NJ and looking for following info abt the town

1. I know NJ Transit bus goes to NY port authority but is there any shorter commute options other than park and ride from Rahway train station to 33rd (changing trains at Newark)? - may be if i park close to Garden State Pkwy exit and cut some commute time but don't think bus goes from GSP and that's why it takes long time to go to Port authority

2. How are school ratings (elementary and high school)? I have a two yr old daughter

3. Also are the rumors true abt some racism in Clark?

Appreciate any pointers on this

Thank you in advance

Last edited by vbabaria; 05-31-2009 at 11:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 11:18 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Clark is a suburban type place. Train and bus routes, fares and schedules can be found on the NJ Transit website.
You might be equidistant from several diff train stations so you may have to explore what works best.
By changing trains at Newark, do you mean to the PATH? because from Rawtown, oh that's what I nickname Rahway those trains continue straight into NY Penn. The Raritan Valley line trains like Westfield, Cranford, Roselle Park end at Newark where you switch trains or catch a PATH.

I have no knowledge o the school system ratings there but I bet you could easily find that online.

I have never heard of any racism rumors there, not more than anywhere else in the USA.
I don't think much outright racism exists anywhere anymore except in the court system of the USA and that's more like economic racism where they are looking to extract a person's money.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:28 AM

Well it looks like the reason the 112 bus from Clark to NYC takes over an hour is because it takes local streets through Clark, Roselle and Elizabeth before it gets on the NJ YankMyCrank (TurnPike) at exit 13A.

The route map is on the second page of this schedule: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0112.pdf

It also passes the Eliz and North Eliz train stations on the way.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:15 PM

Thank you vm for the quick response
Yes I saw 112 schedule and map as well but since it is local route, it takes a while to go to Port Authority... is there a faster way?

By train, i think i will have to change from newark to 34th Penn or take path from Newark to General square and then 33rd... too many stops (or I am asking too much but i am trying to reduce commute time to 1 hr if possible)

Thanks again

Old 05-31-2009, 01:58 PM

Well from Newark Penn the NJ transit train continues straight on to NYC Penn so you can stay on the train if you want right to NYC. That is unless its a Raritan Valley line train in which case you transfer.

The PATH line is a separate system, runs from Newark to World Trade in downtown NYC and if you want to get uptown you change at Journal Square in Jersey City.

PATH takes a bit longer because of the stops along NJ and 6th Ave but its a slight bit cheaper, I think $1.50, maybe. I don't keep up with the fares I remember when it was like 50 cents, lol.

So the NJT train goes directly into NYC Penn maybe 1 stop at that Frank Fossilberg station near the Meadowlands. If you want the PATH you get on at Newark and take that instead.

PATH goes as far as 33rd St by Herald Square, about 1 block away from Empire St Bldg. while Penn station in NY is a block further west.

Here's the PATH map, you would be getting on the line in red then switching to the one in yellow:
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey - PATH (http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/map.html - broken link)

Oh and I see it's $1.75 now.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:11 PM

Thanks so i guess other than NJ transit bus and trains (with or without path), there is no other faster way of commute to NY port authority.

Since i walk around 12-15 minutes from port authority, I am exploring all other options before I think abt moving to Clark

Regards

Old 05-31-2009, 04:14 PM

Not unless you can figure taking the train to Newark, then the direct PATH to World Trade, than a NYC subway to where you work. Don't know if that would be quicker but might be, or less train changes.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:11 PM

May be i will try parking at Newark pen station for less train change and save some time

Thank you vm

Old 05-31-2009, 10:08 PM

That is doable. Also IF you are interested in only the PATH train, many people park across the river from Newark Penn near the Harrison station, where there are many lots either weekly or daily. Sometimes I have driven to Journal Square, its a tall building that has a parking garge attached to the back of it, but that is closer to the city.
Harrison is right over a short train bridge from Newark.
I have left my car parked on the street near Newark Penn at night to go to meetings in the city a few times.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:30 AM

1 posts, read 5,078 times
Hi vbabaria, I am looking into living in Clarke myself and was curious what you worked out as the easiest/quickest commute into Manhattan. It sounds like I have the same scenario as you (meaning I'd like to commute into Port Authority and walk to work from there) and was hoping you found something that worked. Please let me know when you have a chance.

Regards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey