Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:05 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,915,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergenite View Post
Well, drugs can really make a difference in a person's life. My wife is an alcoholic and suffers from severe depression. My son is bipolar and my daughter has anxiety from trying too hard to achieve. We keep the the pharmacy in business. Thank God for teacher's benefits; we pay only $1 per prescription.
I'm sorry that your wife is an alcoholic. Have you tried to get her help? I think that she will be much happier once she is clean and sober.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 07:58 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,953 times
Talking Right on !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
My only crutch is food. All others are done recreationally. Im not sure why people try to hide what they do unless they feel ashamed on some level. George Carlin (RIP) had it right when he said its the Pussification of America that is harming this country. Tons of whiney crybabies who think life isnt fair and they cant get over it. Everyone needs to play nice, everyone needs to get along, everyone needs to spread the wealth. Its all related because its an outlook on life that is starting to (or maybe already has) become the majority in this country. We all have to learn to live with each other but we DONT have to be nice. We DONT have to play fair. It all starts with the children and we have coddled and protected them from so much for so long that an entire generation has no idea what coping skills are. You protect a child from getting killed by running in the street, you dont protect then from getting a scraped knee or splinter. There are little things in life we NEED to go through, to experience pain and suffering and heartbreak because they teach us that, over time, things WILL be better. Pain WILL heal. It builds confidence and emotional stability. Without these trials and tribulations you get soft crybaby sheeple that do whetever they can to simply not feel the pain instead of having the strength and wherewithall to keep their head up and fight through the situation and come through the other side an even better person. Yes, there are some people that will never be able to do that due to phsycological issues but I simply cannot beleive (will not accept) that these people are becomming a majority.

/rant_over

Old 06-16-2009, 08:00 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
ok, I go to a gym 5 days a week, and have meet so many people on either xanax, an antidepressent, or a pain killer. Now I have a friend who drowns his sorrow in budwiser, and another friend who loves oxycontin.

My point is where are we learning our coping skills??? I have no choice but to cope with life due to past drug addiction but I am wondering is this the norm for so many people, just pop an antidepressant and /or a xanax? Ohh this is legal I forgot.

I don't know; I've never been on any before (no medical insurance), but now I'm seriously considering getting on some.
My life is such crap right now; it's so hard to cope.
I'm thinking something for anxiety, at least. My anxiety is making me completely non-functional.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:13 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,106 times
why is your life crap? unemployment,divorce,kids? do you have family members you can speak with? There are many ways to deal with it without drugs,sometimes i feel like my life is crap,im unemployed.my property taxes went up 20% my mom passed away 3 years ago and im still affected by it,i have'nt had a vacation in 5 years.the only thing that is good right now is my marriage and my kids. but the way i deal with it is i take walks with the family,spend time with kids. good luck and we are always here for you..
deb

Old 06-17-2009, 05:13 AM

Quote:
why is your life crap? unemployment,divorce,kids?
Yeah; my 17-yr-old son, grown for all practical purposes, only child, is running crazy. Using drugs, staying out for days at a time without calling.
He has a key to his girlfriend's apt. He basically lives there now, and just keeps his stuff here.
I'm just worried about his life and health. It gives me panic attacks, and makes it to where I can't function very well at work.
Since there's absolutely nothing I can do to change any of it, I was thinking there must be some pills that will make it easier for me to accept it and go on.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:25 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Yeah; my 17-yr-old son, grown for all practical purposes, only child, is running crazy. Using drugs, staying out for days at a time without calling.
He has a key to his girlfriend's apt. He basically lives there now, and just keeps his stuff here.
I'm just worried about his life and health. It gives me panic attacks, and makes it to where I can't function very well at work.
Since there's absolutely nothing I can do to change any of it, I was thinking there must be some pills that will make it easier for me to accept it and go on.
Jane, you don't have to suffer with anxiety and panic attacks. And yes, there are medications that can make it better. Do some research on the different anxiety meds out there. Lots of doctors try to push people towards antidepressants, but they are not necessarily the best for panic and anxiety and you want to be especially careful with them if you are feeling panic. Sometimes a low-dose benzodiazepine can be a good short-term solution to get you through a rough patch. But talk to a doctor and see what he or she recommends.

You don't have to live like that and you deserve better and sometimes we can't make those feelings go away with willpower or walks no matter how much we would wish that to be the case. Feel better.

Last edited by luckyshoes; 06-17-2009 at 06:03 AM..

Old 06-17-2009, 05:30 AM

34 posts, read 143,930 times
People need to man up! People use these pills as an excuse. I feel the only reason you should be depressed is if you had some major tragedy in your life or a serious medical condition that causes depression not because you can't deal with the regular annoyances of life.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:07 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,106 times
i say if the 17 year old wants to live outside the home all his stuff is out. he does not live there. he wants to act like an adult then treat him like one and he has to move his stuff out. i know its your kid but let me tell you my daughter tried the same thing at 16,i told her she continues to use drugs and alcohol then she's out,she tried living on her own for about 2 months with a friend but quickley realized she needed me more than anything so she quit,turned around graduated high school she's 19 fell in love 3 years ago and just got married to a great guy 3 weeks ago and is doing good. you cant blame yourself and honestly taking prescription drugs is not the answer. no matter what unless there are other things with you inside your head not your kids being bad that you cant deal with. good luck..
deb

Old 06-17-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
i say if the 17 year old wants to live outside the home all his stuff is out. he does not live there. he wants to act like an adult then treat him like one and he has to move his stuff out.
I wish I had the strength to do that.
But I can't help believing, deep down, that my son is suffering from some psychological illness or emotional disorder, is not entirely in control of himself, and needs my support, even if he's not willing to accept it at the moment.
If I thought he was strong enough to make it on his own, I'd cut him loose.
But I think he's got serious problems, and I want him to know that I'm 100% here for him if and when he ever decides to admit there's a problem and seek help.

Quote:
i know its your kid but let me tell you my daughter tried the same thing at 16,i told her she continues to use drugs and alcohol then she's out,she tried living on her own for about 2 months with a friend but quickley realized she needed me more than anything so she quit,turned around graduated high school she's 19 fell in love 3 years ago and just got married to a great guy 3 weeks ago and is doing good.
I am so happy for you and your daughter. Truly.
I love hearing things like this, it really gives me hope that things might turn out okay.
Best wishes to you and your family.

Quote:
you cant blame yourself and honestly taking prescription drugs is not the answer. no matter what unless there are other things with you inside your head not your kids being bad that you cant deal with. good luck..
The only thing is, it's effecting my work and ruining my marriage.
My husband may leave if I don't quit freaking out about my son all the time.
I don't really blame him. My son is all I care about, at least when i've got myself worked up into a state.
My husband has suggested anxiety meds.
If I did get any, it would be for a short time, just to get through this difficult patch.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:57 PM

88,557 posts, read 84,738,350 times
I don't know; I've never been on any before (no medical insurance), but now I'm seriously considering getting on some.
My life is such crap right now; it's so hard to cope.
I'm thinking something for anxiety, at least. My anxiety is making me completely non-functional.

I took an antidepressant for a while that helped with anxiety/OCD-type obsessive thoughts. I couldn't shut my "what-if" thoughts down. I also had therapy. The way the shrink explained it was this: When learning to ride a bicycle, it helps sometimes to get a push and then you can pedal on your own. The meds give the push and the therapy helps you learn to make the changes in yourself that you need. Eventually I weaned myself off the meds. The thoughts are back, but I know what they are, can figure out where they are coming from, and can manage my life much better now.

Just taking a/d's without the goal of someday not needing to take them is what too many people are doing. It takes some effort and work to get through but going through is the only way, not around or up or over.

Just for information for you and everyone else, anti-depressants are not a matter of popping a pill and feeling better. It is analogous to blood-pressure medication--it takes weeks to feel results and you certainly aren't getting high. They just sort of turn your brain back on. It was just amazing when one day I found I was able to think clearly and not spend four hours staring at a pile of laundry trying to will myself to get up and do it. You can just DO it. The same chemicals that get the brain moving can be revved up without meds by regular exercise like walking or running--if you can get yourself to do the exercise in the first place.

By the way, most of the a/d manufacturers have programs for their meds at a free or reduced cost. You have to go through your doctor, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: