Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 08:59 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,641,693 times

Advertisements

New York Home Prices Forecast to Drop 40% - TIME

What's it feel like to survive one hurricane only to be told that another is on the way? New York City–area homeowners are in just that spot. After the region suffered the brunt of financial-industry cutbacks, the next big wave of woe could be a nor'easter of collapsing home prices. That's the forecast of an extensive new report on residential real estate by Deutsche Bank, which calls for home prices in metropolitan New York City (which includes Westchester, northern New Jersey and other nearby areas) to fall 40.6% from the prices that prevailed in March.

Ironically, that dire forecast is wrapped in an improving forecast for nationwide home prices. Back in March, Deutsche Bank analysts had expected national home prices to decline 16.5%; now they foresee just a 14% decline. That mildly upbeat news does not hold true for the New York City area, however, which is expected to see a 40.6% drop. While that is also a slight improvement from the March forecast, it is dire nonetheless ...

Indeed, in some famously overpriced regions that have since corrected, such as Los Angeles and the Riverside–San Bernardino areas of California, affordability is as good now as it has been in decades. That's a big reason that many California areas may see prices fall only an additional 10% or so, despite the state's deepening financial crisis.

New York City's big problem is not so much the financial-industry meltdown as it is an intense lack of affordability ... Today among the 10 biggest metropolitan areas, New York ranks as the least affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 09:14 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,537,720 times
Holy sh*t!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:17 AM

744 posts, read 1,409,087 times
actually agree with them, but any mention of TIME has to have:

Old 06-17-2009, 09:24 AM

4,184 posts, read 5,083,351 times
we've already (in another thread) discredited what Douche bank has to say on the matter...

there is a faction of people out there that want to "talk down" the housing market, so that they can buy in at "the bottom" since they missed the true bottom. same thing that is going on with the DJIA.

if you absolutely do not have to sell, don't get suckered into doing so now, because you'll only be locking in your "loss".

Old 06-17-2009, 09:48 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,702,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
if you absolutely do not have to sell, don't get suckered into doing so now, because you'll only be locking in your "loss".
Why would you suggest people not sell right now when the bottom was hit in Nov 2008 by your own words? Real Estate values are going up or at least staying flat based on the bottom already being hit no?

Old 06-17-2009, 10:10 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,641,693 times
Quote:
there is a faction of people out there that want to "talk down" the housing market, so that they can buy in at "the bottom" since they missed the true bottom. same thing that is going on with the DJIA.
LOL

"Missed the true bottom" ... darn what happened, did I blink and miss it?

The fact that you believe the bottom in NJ real estate values has already been reached (November 2008, based on what you've posted before) is insanely funny. I wonder what tune you'll be singing when the autumn/winter rolls around ...

Old 06-17-2009, 10:12 AM

636 posts, read 1,426,551 times
Quote:
we've already (in another thread) discredited what Douche bank has to say on the matter...

Who discredited what?

Who is talking down housing? It's an awful market right now, for good reason. Well, it's not truly awful, it's just that prices have become more reasonable. Prices were artificially inflated before.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:23 AM

268 posts, read 762,767 times
From Boom to Gloom and Doom... That's my new housing market slogan.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 AM

394 posts, read 1,259,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
I wonder what tune you'll be singing when the autumn/winter rolls around ...
I hate to be pessimistic, but am left wondering the same thing. Let us hope for the best. I sold my NJ home during the worst of it all. We left on November 1, 2008 and our home sold (closed, finished, not our problem anymore) on the last day of this past April. We made money, but I'm not sure that I could survive another experience like that one. It truly felt like financial ruin was just around the corner each and every day we had to carry that home.

Good luck to everyone out there that need to sell/relocate.

-Eric

Old 06-17-2009, 10:29 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,702,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
I hate to be pessimistic, but am left wondering the same thing. Let us hope for the best. I sold my NJ home during the worst of it all. We left on November 1, 2008 and our home sold (closed, finished, not our problem anymore) on the last day of this past April. We made money, but I'm not sure that I could survive another experience like that one. It truly felt like financial ruin was just around the corner each and every day we had to carry that home.

Good luck to everyone out there that need to sell/relocate.

-Eric
I just moved from Tarrant County to NJ.
Different world down there that is for sure. Hope you are enjoying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey