Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 11:35 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholden View Post
Do you also think that if the price of something falls 10% a month for 11 months that it will be at -10% of the original value?

Hint: you need to multiply not add: 20% down then 40% down gives you 1 - (.8 * .6) = 52% total loss.
to make light of thing, I HAVE FOUND ALWAYS AGREE WITH THE DUDE WHO CAN DO THE MATH! This one seems pretty smart, I am now taking alook at your past posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 11:39 AM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
Mortgage rates likely to drop again --

MarketWatch.com Story

Old 06-18-2009, 12:00 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,997 times
DB's additional 40% drop analysis picking up more press, this time from Wall St. Journal:

Deutsche Bank Predicts 40% Drop in New York Home Prices - Developments - WSJ

I think another 40% drop in NY-metro is on the outer edge of what we can realistically expect. Personally, I don't think we'll see quite that much additional damage, but another 25% - 30% is probable in my opinion.

But the fact that major financial institutions still see this much weakness in the NY/NJ housing market is telling. Nobody but the most solid buyers who are certain to be in this for the long term and who have plenty of assets saved up should even be thinking about buying now considering the price drops and additiona layoffs coming our way.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:11 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
If the prices keep going down maybe the OP will finally be able to afford one of those neighborhoods that he has been priced out of for such a long time?

Old 06-18-2009, 12:11 PM

231 posts, read 587,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
DB's additional 40% drop analysis picking up more press, this time from Wall St. Journal:

Deutsche Bank Predicts 40% Drop in New York Home Prices - Developments - WSJ

I think another 40% drop in NY-metro is on the outer edge of what we can realistically expect. Personally, I don't think we'll see quite that much additional damage, but another 25% - 30% is probable in my opinion.

But the fact that major financial institutions still see this much weakness in the NY/NJ housing market is telling. Nobody but the most solid buyers who are certain to be in this for the long term and who have plenty of assets saved up should even be thinking about buying now considering the price drops and additiona layoffs coming our way.
Hey Lusitan, have you found the source of this release from DB? I did a quick look and only found references to it. I'm specifically interested in WHEN they see this happening. If NJ's real estate bear market looks like the last one, it will take years for the market to bottom. If it tracks anything like what California is going through, the market bottom will be realized (or get close to it) much sooner.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:15 PM

231 posts, read 587,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If the prices keep going down maybe the OP will finally be able to afford one of those neighborhoods that he has been priced out of for such a long time?
Is this a jab? Methinks it is...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ml#post8128961

Old 06-18-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsquad View Post
Hey Lusitan, have you found the source of this release from DB? I did a quick look and only found references to it. I'm specifically interested in WHEN they see this happening. If NJ's real estate bear market looks like the last one, it will take years for the market to bottom. If it tracks anything like what California is going through, the market bottom will be realized (or get close to it) much sooner.
Haven't seen the report yet, but I would not be surprised if the analysis called for a long, slow decline that will take years to reach bottom. Will let you know if/when I manage to get a hold of the report.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:52 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,522 times
I also would not be surprised if it was an indexed value in comparison to either inflationary rates OR to a more sustainable real estate appreciation.

(IOW, if housing were to go up by 5% per year during a "normal" period, what would be the net loss if the house dropped 15% over 3 years rather than up 16%? (1.05^3) ). News reports have a way of doing this to get more attention for their stories.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:01 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Default Yikes!

We sold a year ago in March! Glad we got out when we did.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
I also would not be surprised if it was an indexed value in comparison to either inflationary rates OR to a more sustainable real estate appreciation.
I wouldn't be surprised if the 40% number was based on inflation-adjusted values, i.e. "real" value. After all, that's the only number that makes sense.

So in nominal terms, the report might not predict a 40% reduction in selling prices from March 2009, but in real terms that's what I expect the analysis predicts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey