Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 04:06 PM

21 posts, read 94,936 times

Advertisements

I live in NC, originally from WI and there are a lot of NJ transplants here (as well as all over the country) Everybody I mean EVERYBODY from there says that its like a communist state with in the US. That taxes are ridiculous, that it is anti-business and hopelessly polluted. One lady told me it has worse roads than Somolia.

Is it true?

Old 06-14-2009, 04:14 PM

256 posts, read 841,789 times
Taxes are out of control, but i disagree otherwise. I love NJ, with the exception of the insane taxes and government over-regulation

Old 06-14-2009, 04:20 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
its sour grapes. They really miss NJ but cant afford it so they bash it. No its not bad at all. Its great. Hows living with those NC hillbillies and Nascar crap, beats that anyday!

Old 06-14-2009, 04:25 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,170,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
its sour grapes. They really miss nj but cant afford it so they bash it. No its not bad at all. Its great. Hows living with those nc hillbillies and nascar crap, beats that anyday!
lol...

Old 06-14-2009, 04:27 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
its sour grapes. They really miss NJ but cant afford it so they bash it. No its not bad at all. Its great. Hows living with those NC hillbillies and Nascar crap, beats that anyday!
Geez....speaking of sour grapes....

You make a half-brained decision to move to podunk NY, obviously without doing any research, and somehow that experience translates into anyone who doesn't live in NJ being a "NASCAR lovin' hillbilly". You really need to get out more.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:28 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,060,271 times
seeing as how NJ is always the most densely populated stated in the USA (1121 people per sq. mi. as of the last census), I'd say alot of people don't have many qualms about living here.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:33 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrinch View Post
I live in NC, originally from WI and there are a lot of NJ transplants here (as well as all over the country) Everybody I mean EVERYBODY from there says that its like a communist state with in the US. That taxes are ridiculous, that it is anti-business and hopelessly polluted. One lady told me it has worse roads than Somolia.

Is it true?
As one who left NJ for GA, I can speak from experience.

Yes, the taxes are very high, yes, there are some pretty anti-business policies in place, and yes, there are some polluted areas (though the whole state isn't a toxic waste dump as some would have you believe). The roads take a beating from the freeze thaw cycles, and need yearly repair, but I don't think you can really compare them to Somalia. There are some good qualities as well- nice beaches, some nice scenery, proximity to NYC, etc.

Most of the folks who have a great attachment to NJ do so because they were raised there and therefore have strong family ties. For that reason, they put up with the high cost of living. If, however, you don't have the family ties or the need to work in/near NYC, there's not much in NJ that you can't find someplace else at a much lower price, and that's why so many people are bailing out of the state.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:44 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
There are a lot more positives to NJ than negatives. Unfortunately, the negatives are quality of life things, like high taxes. But, it really is a beautiful state once you leave the turnpike corridor, the shore is terrific, the people among the nicest anywhere, good schools, and great dining spots. When you add in the proximity to NY, it's easy to see why so many stay. We left because of a job transfer, but go back at least once a year, and always enjoy our stay.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:44 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,986 times
Your experience is speaking to those that have left because they don't like it. That's why they're not here anymore. What I can tell you is that when I considered for 1/2 second of moving because of the taxes and high cost of living, I realized that I still have a better standard of living here than I would in NC, SC or FL.

Taxes stink. Gov't is corrupt (show me one that isn't), traffic can be pretty bad.

Now for the good stuff: Nice beaches, diverse population, 1 hour from NYC, 1 hour from Phila., 5 hours from Boston, 6 hours from DC. , good public education in many communities, great Pizza, Taylor Ham and really super people.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:49 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
Quote:
Aren't you always complaining that you have Hillybilly Neighbors? I don't, 90% of my neighbors moved here from other states, including NJ. I actually bought this house from someone from NJ, whose job then transfered them to Florida. Also we have rules here, Homeowners Association.

Diane G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey