Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:29 PM

4 posts, read 57,455 times

Advertisements

Got a summons/ticket in the mail today from Jersey City, stating that I parked in a bus stop on June 26th. I wasn't in Jersey City on June 26th and neither was my car. Of course because I didn't show up to court for the original offense I'm getting another charge added.

Any advice?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 07:41 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNNJBergen View Post
Got a summons/ticket in the mail today from Jersey City, stating that I parked in a bus stop on June 26th. I wasn't in Jersey City on June 26th and neither was my car. Of course because I didn't show up to court for the original offense I'm getting another charge added.

Any advice?????
How much was the original ticket? Why didn't you show up in court to fight it, or just pay it and get it over with. I would imagine if you decide to fight it you would somehow need to prove your car was somewhere else. Seems like that would be hard to do.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:54 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,977 times
Same thing happened to my uncle. He lives in Brick Township, has never been in Jersey City in his life, and he got a ticket in the mail saying he didn't pay a previous ticket and his license was suspended. He drove up to Jersey City and somehow they got it worked out, but he wasted an entire day in the process.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
How much was the original ticket? Why didn't you show up in court to fight it, or just pay it and get it over with. I would imagine if you decide to fight it you would somehow need to prove your car was somewhere else. Seems like that would be hard to do.
I didn't pay the original ticket because I never got the ticket. Because I wasn't in Jersey City pn June 26th when the summons says my car was. The summons that arrived today was the first I have heard about this. If I had received a ticket in the mail I would have plead not guilty, cause like I said. My car, and myself were not in Jersey City on the date of the ticket - and yeah, I agree..it's going to be tough to prove where my car was. The cost of the ticket is $57 ...$10 extra because I didn't show up for court. Just reaching out to other's who may have had similar experience and what they did or what they experienced with Jersey City Courts.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Same thing happened to my uncle. He lives in Brick Township, has never been in Jersey City in his life, and he got a ticket in the mail saying he didn't pay a previous ticket and his license was suspended. He drove up to Jersey City and somehow they got it worked out, but he wasted an entire day in the process.
thanks for the feedback VeradoDan. I have a feeling I'm going to spend 50 bucks parking at the court house to try and do the same. Gotta Love Jersey City!!!

Old 08-07-2009, 03:12 AM

390 posts, read 1,510,151 times
You can call the court administrator. The number is on the failure-to-appear notice. Be polite. Explain that you and your vehicle was not in Jersey City on the day and time listed to the notice. Ask to have the ticket examined for clerical errors. The officer's handwriting may have been misread while entering into computer. Also have him/her describe the vehicle as listed on the ticket. If the description doesnt match your car then state so. Ask to have ticket dismissed. If there are no discrepancies, you may have to plead not guilty and appear in court. You may still try to have ticket removed by phone if you are firm and have/offer proof of non violation. Each court is different. Some more strict than others.
If you do go to court, have them send (or pick up) a few blank affidavit forms and a certified copy of the original ticket before you go. Check for errors yourself and have witnesses (if possible) fill out affs affirming your car was not in JC.
If the clerk says she'll take care of it check the website listed on the notice to make sure the ticket is really removed.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:19 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
I had this same problem, but in Paterson. The description of the car on the ticket, was different from my car, although the license plate was correct. I went to court, there was a 4 hours wait to see the judge, and rather than wait I paid the ticket. Apparently the officer's writing was illegible which was the problem.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:29 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,857,672 times
This is terrible.

It is amazing that we have to deal with this crap, then when they are wrong, nobody is paying you "job fees' for the day you had to take off to prove your innocence.

There's 6 digits, and the make and model has to match........ and nobody pays attention.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:31 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNNJBergen View Post

Any advice?????
I received a parking ticket from the city of Los Angles for a parking violation in a part of Sacramento (400 miles north) that I have never been in. I called the number on the ticket and got a whoops! we're sorry and that was it. Stuff happens. Give them a call.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:28 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,659 times
Gotta love Jersey City!

I got a parking ticket left on my car saying it was parked illegally. It was not. Went to ticket window and the ticket was not for me! It was for some other guy! So, this jerk got a ticket himself, took it off his car and put it on mine! Same Make and color!

Glad I moved out of there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey