Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 4,271 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm working as a campus organizer in Newark right now on a program that educates & engages community members around energy efficiency. Our goal is to focus on lower income residents, as they'll be the ones to benefit most from energy savings. We want to hold community workshops, conduct basic energy assessments, and do some small weatherization projects.

I'm not too familiar with Newark's neighborhoods, so I was wondering if people had suggestions on good neighborhoods to target - primarily those that have low-income residents but aren't areas of very high crime.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 11:44 AM

43 posts, read 139,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls345 View Post
Hi - I'm working as a campus organizer in Newark right now on a program that educates & engages community members around energy efficiency. Our goal is to focus on lower income residents, as they'll be the ones to benefit most from energy savings. We want to hold community workshops, conduct basic energy assessments, and do some small weatherization projects.

I'm not too familiar with Newark's neighborhoods, so I was wondering if people had suggestions on good neighborhoods to target - primarily those that have low-income residents but aren't areas of very high crime.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks
The only area I would even consider doing this in is Ironbound. Stay away from anything bordering the Oranges. If there are a lot of people loitering outside at all hours, stay far away. Look up a crime map to see where the crime takes place. Choose a neighborhood off that. I think you'd be OK in the Ironbound but I'd be nervous about going near any of the projects to be perfectly frank.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:00 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Can you supply the students with bullet-proof vests?

Old 08-18-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Can you supply the students with bullet-proof vests?
That's a little unfair. Not all of Newark is terrible. The Ironbound is actually relatively low crime.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:05 PM

284 posts, read 542,893 times
Do you think if you go to a high crime area of Newark you are going to be attacked? When people realize that you are there to help you will be welcomed with open arms-GUARUNTEED! The people that need your help the most happen to live in high crime areas. You are going to get a lot of people replying to your thread who are going to tell you to avoid most areas of Newark. I was involved in an outreach project in Newark last summer. We went to the most high-crime areas of the city. NOT ONE PROBLEM. Many people who post on threads about Newark know nothing about the city or it's residents other than reading crime stats. Like the poster SCOTTIEMOBES who told you to only go to the Ironbound. Like I said, if you are going to a high-crime area of Newark to help the economically disadvantaged you will be fine. Posters like the above and his ilk are ethno-centric and misguided; thinking that if you step foot in a high-crime African-American neighborhood you will automatically be attacked.

Direct message me and I will tell you about the project I was involved in. Otherwise , watch the racist idiots who do not live here come out of the woodwork and tell you that Newark is filled with animals and that it is a war-zone.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:09 PM

I didn't mean to sound "racist" cause I'm not at all. I'm saying there is more POTENTIAL for problems in high crime areas. I never said it was a guarantee. It depends how comfortable a person feels. I personally don't feel comfortable outside the Ironbound or Downtown. I realize this is a touchy subject but it is incredibly outlandish to label someone as "RACIST" I have friends all over in very urban areas in NYC where I feel perfectly fine. I just feel certain areas of Newark are outside my comfort level. If you have a large group, I'd say go for it. A few canvassers, I WOULD THINK TWICE. Not telling you what to do, just saying what I would or wouldn't do. Newark Magic, don't just make assumptions.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:24 PM

240 posts, read 580,967 times
North Newark
Weequahic Section
Ivy Hill
Forest Hill
Vailsburg
University Heights

Old 08-18-2009, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,271 times
Thank you for the quick replies. I understand it's a touchy subject -- comfort levels vary from person to person. I agree that once residents see that you're offering them tools & knowledge to improve their financial situation, they'll be open to it - but walking down the street, your intent isn't necessarily evident. I just can't be responsible for putting college kids in an area where they're more likely to be mugged or something like that. I would appreciate insiders perspectives, because that's so much better than just straight crime stats.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:00 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,074,281 times
I did a similar thing to clean water and the Ironbound community was pretty nice.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:19 PM

284 posts, read 542,893 times
I was born and raised in Newark and still live here. So let's be frank and say what eveyone really wants to say. Are you going to be safe walking around in an Black neighborhood if you are not black? And the answer is: YES.... especially if you are there to help. If a black person sees a strange white person walking thru their hood they are going to assume one of the following: they are a cop, they are there to buy drugs, or they know someone in the area; no matter what they think, you will be left alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey