Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2009, 10:55 AM

595 posts, read 1,558,723 times

Advertisements

I am from paramus (and white, not sure if it makes a difference for the question) and already graduated college a few years ago. I was interested in getting a networking administration certificate and unfortunately Bergen community doesn’t have any, only associates. So I was looking into Morris county college or Essex community college. Morris is further away, but Essex is in Newark. What to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 11:02 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,307 times
Essex County College's Newark campus is safe. It's right across from the court house. You'll be surrounded by other college students, college personnel, lawyers, court personnel and jurors.

If you have issues with Newark, Essex County College also has a suburban campus in West Caldwell. You'll have to look through the course catalog to see if that campus offers the courses you need. It probably does.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:23 AM

595 posts, read 1,558,723 times
one thing i forgot to mention was that the classes would probably end around 9

Old 08-11-2009, 11:42 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
I am from paramus (and white, not sure if it makes a difference for the question) and already graduated college a few years ago. I was interested in getting a networking administration certificate and unfortunately Bergen community doesn’t have any, only associates. So I was looking into Morris county college or Essex community college. Morris is further away, but Essex is in Newark. What to do?
Parking is right there, it's safe just know ur directions and don't wander onto Springfield ave.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:07 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,462 times
The college is safe, yes. Areas around it are seedy (about a block down from the campus, my skin crawls)...just gotta be careful. It's a nice campus.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:11 PM
EB2

Oh, CCM was also rated as one of the top community colleges in the US a few years ago (may still be getting listed, haven't checked). It's pretty well known up there in terms of community colleges, and all of my friends that attended the school loved it, and are happy they didn't pick anywhere else.

I'll probably end up at ECC because of where I'll live - just until I obtain state residency. Go to both campuses (ECC and CCM) - see what they have to offer in terms of your field...speak to students, administration and faculty if you can.

Good luck

Old 08-11-2009, 04:16 PM

835 posts, read 1,180,256 times
Its fine, the area is changing rapidly, not sure what a networking cert would do though. Get training in the medical field. IT is dead unless you are coding new algorithms

Old 08-12-2009, 10:09 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post

What would make you think that ECC is not safe?

I'll tell you this. I went there for some years and I only know of ONE serious incident that happened there and the person was caught. Now if you want to talk about somewhere which has crime going on the campus, try Rutgers Newark. There is a different story. They have a bigger police department than ECC and yet they can't control all the incidents. People getting robbed at gunpoint, strong arm robberies.... I think it's cause most of the people on Rutgers Newark campus are out of towners anyways and aren't familar with the area. You're safer in ECC.

And educational wise, a lot of people will tell you CCM is better than ECC when it really doesn't make a difference. Some people excel in ECC, some people have trouble in ECC. A lot of people frown down on ECC cause it's in Newark and they feel that because of the type of people that go there as well as some of the teachers I guess, that makes the school a waste of time when everybody from all over goes there. There's even teachers from other universities in the state (Rutgers, Kean) that teach there too. CCM is far as hell and you most definitely need a car to go outthere. I don't think you can access it by train.

Last edited by angerinthenation; 08-12-2009 at 10:18 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 11:21 PM
EB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
What would make you think that ECC is not safe?

I'll tell you this. I went there for some years and I only know of ONE serious incident that happened there and the person was caught. Now if you want to talk about somewhere which has crime going on the campus, try Rutgers Newark. There is a different story. They have a bigger police department than ECC and yet they can't control all the incidents. People getting robbed at gunpoint, strong arm robberies.... I think it's cause most of the people on Rutgers Newark campus are out of towners anyways and aren't familar with the area. You're safer in ECC.

And educational wise, a lot of people will tell you CCM is better than ECC when it really doesn't make a difference. Some people excel in ECC, some people have trouble in ECC. A lot of people frown down on ECC cause it's in Newark and they feel that because of the type of people that go there as well as some of the teachers I guess, that makes the school a waste of time when everybody from all over goes there. There's even teachers from other universities in the state (Rutgers, Kean) that teach there too. CCM is far as hell and you most definitely need a car to go outthere. I don't think you can access it by train.
I wasn't frowning down on ECC. It was actually my first choice for CC's, until I realized where I'll be living, it could be a toss-up between ECC or CCM (West Essex would probably be my best bet, though, which is why I picked ECC, again). No, it usually won't matter where the poster goes, although, sometimes schools are better in one area than another - it was just a suggestion for the OP to get the best experience in his or her field possible. Yes, CCM is far, and you're right, I don't think it is accessible by train, but if it offers a better education in the end (putting aside that all a "degree" is, is a "piece of paper" from any institution of higher learning, and is generally "viewed as equal" - simply because he or she holds the degree in X-field/major) than ECC (or, vice-versa), I'd personally choose the college that would train me better for the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey