Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:01 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Michigan Man View Post
Then why aren't these people being hired?
That question has already been answered.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
That all depends. I lean both ways on it. LEGAL immigrants need work too.
First of all, legal immigrants came here voluntarily. Nobody forced them to come here. They should get work ahead of most Americans only if they are so much more talented than others who are citizens. Otherwise, they can always get work back home. If they can't? Not my problem.

Quote:
Perhaps American citizens should be looked through first, but that could also depend on the line of work. But, legal immigrants, looking for a better way of life, and worked their arses off in their home country to get the money saved to try to come find it, shouldn't be "kicked to the curb".
Why not? There isn't enough work for Americans. Yes they should be kicked to the curb.

Quote:
Anyone that wants to argue with me on that, well, unless you're 100% Native American, then I rest my case on the hating of (legal) immigrants...since most of us came from them.
Not hating anyone. Just a statement of stark reality.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:11 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,437 times
Quote:
Who are we to tell firms who they can and cannot hire? Do we really want to centrally plan the economy?
The people, the state (of NJ, in this case), and the wellbeing nation come before the nation come before the right of an ultra-rich corporation to get richer. There should be limits on these firms and various other businesses as to their hiring practices and several other matters.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:19 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,276,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
This is America. Hire Americans first. Do you want the economy to go to hell because nobody in this country has a job?
Again, implicit in this line of reasoning is the erroneously presumption that the number of jobs is fixed in quantity.

Anyone can "create a job" by starting a one man consulting firm and producing something of value. Of course, that only works if you are capable of producing something of value.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Again, implicit in this line of reasoning is the erroneously presumption that the number of jobs is fixed in quantity.

Anyone can "create a job" by starting a one man consulting firm and producing something of value. Of course, that only works if you are capable of producing something of value.

I've got a writing and editing firm, and I would like to take you on as a client...........

Old 08-25-2009, 01:33 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,365,552 times
Quote:

Why not? There isn't enough work for Americans. Yes they should be kicked to the curb.
And if they're more capable in a particular area than the rest of the people around? Oh, wait...they shouldn't be picked first....because that might stimulate the business that they're working for .

Yes, most came voluntarily. Some for reasons none other than for a change of scenery, others for a better life.

Listen, I'm American. I was born here. I've had family in the US since the Revolutionary War, and before then. I also have family that immigrated here as little as 150 years ago.

I'm sure that your grandparents (or parents, or whomever came over here) would feel rather disgraced at the fact that you wouldn't give them a fair chance.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:36 PM

636 posts, read 1,424,078 times
Quote:
First of all, legal immigrants came here voluntarily. Nobody forced them to come here. They should get work ahead of most Americans only if they are so much more talented than others who are citizens. Otherwise, they can always get work back home. If they can't? Not my problem.

Not hating anyone. Just a statement of stark reality.
Not enough work for Americans? Aren’t legal immigrants Americans? Also, if the immigrants are talented and productive, they will create more jobs in the process. Like elford said, jobs aren’t fixed, they are fluid.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
And if they're more capable in a particular area than the rest of the people around? Oh, wait...they shouldn't be picked first....because that might stimulate the business that they're working for .

Yes, most came voluntarily. Some for reasons none other than for a change of scenery, others for a better life.

Listen, I'm American. I was born here. I've had family in the US since the Revolutionary War, and before then. I also have family that immigrated here as little as 150 years ago.

I'm sure that your grandparents (or parents, or whomever came over here) would feel rather disgraced at the fact that you wouldn't give them a fair chance.

I'm of African ancestry, and my paternal ancestors have been here since the 1700s. My American-born grandparents, btw, didn't get a fair chance either.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Not enough work for Americans? Aren’t legal immigrants Americans?

Not necessarily. You can be here on certain visas, or have a green card, and not be a citizen. "Permanent resident" is not the same as "citizen".

Quote:
Also, if the immigrants are talented and productive, they will create more jobs in the process. Like elford said, jobs aren’t fixed, they are fluid.

Maybe so......but we already know that lots of these H1Bs are neither talented nor productive........

Old 08-25-2009, 01:42 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times
Quote:
I'm of African ancestry, and my paternal ancestors have been here since the 1700s. My American-born grandparents, btw, didn't get a fair chance either.
And what does the career success of legal immigrants turned US citizens have to do with your grandparents' unfair situations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey