Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2009, 06:55 PM

963 posts, read 2,302,433 times

Advertisements

After spending a couple of years in Phoenix, Arizona, I must say that when it comes to a light rail systems, they have what is quite possibly the most stylish light rail stations in the country. They have a Buck Rogers / futuristic look that is very appealing and adds a nice touch to the urban streetscape.

Newark has a light rail . . . but honestly, it does not have the high style seen in some of its newest architectural examples such as NJPAC and the new sports arena. We could learn a thing or two from Phoenix when it comes to designing a light rail system! What do you think?

To the moderator: This is my photo linked from my website!

http://abqstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/metro-phoenix.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 09:38 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,822 times
i think their rail cars make a bolder statement than their stations . . . and I agree, NJTransit's LRVs are a little boring. The reason you see those cars in Newark is because they're the same cars you see in Jersey City/Hoboken/etc. It's much cheaper to buy in bulk ;-)

But a lot of the design of the cars has to do with the specs that the transit provider sends to the manufacturer. In Phoenix and a lot of other sunbelt cities that are 50 or 60 years late to the rail transit party have really wide roads and huge intersections so designers can do a lot more with the rail cars.

When you have small tunnels, narrow streets and tight corners, as on the east coast and some parts of the midwest and west coast, you need cars that are not only narrower but that are also shorter (or at least have a shorter distance between trucks or between articulated sections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey